Thread: Worried about throat cancer!

Worried about throat cancer!

Hi guys,

So this is the situation. I'm 20 years old and have been a smoker for around 4-5 years. 20 a day for the last 3-4 years but have always smoked the weakest brand on the market.
    I've had a funny looking throat for a couple of months now, it's very red and inflamed all the time. I also have a severely deviated septum along with post-nasal drip and acid reflux that comes on and off.
    I'm really worried that the redness and little white lumps that appear on my uvula and tonsils is cancer. It's not sore, very rarely sore... just very red all the time. Some responses would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys, and it's nice to find a forum that helps people with anxiety issues, I've suffered with them for years... health, sexuality, whatever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Worried about throat cancer!

It all looks normal to me no worries there.

Do you not think it's a very red looking throat? Seems irritated by something? I'm just so concerned that I've got something bad :(!

I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor. A red throat is not indicative of cancer but it is indicative of irritation most likely from smoking. My cancer in part was due to smoking.

If you have a fear of cancer... QUIT! This should be a wake up call.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by waveparticle2012 View Post
    Do you not think it's a very red looking throat? Seems irritated by something? I'm just so concerned that I've got something bad :(!
    My throat looks redder. If your worried try gargling but it definitely looks normal to me.

Thanks for the replies guys... reassures me a little bit. Very happy to hear you survived the H&T. I'm in the process of giving up at the moment, trying my hardest! Have cut down ten-fold. The little white spots on my uvula that are always there just confuse me, I just don't understand it. I did go to an ENT for my deviated septum about a week or two ago, but he just glanced at my throat through the routine discussion but didn't really say anything that was concerning...

How do the symptoms of throat cancer present themselves? I can't get it out of my head... Red throat, two little white patches on my uvula... I'm so worried

I asked a friend of mine today who is a GP what he thought. I sent him a clearer photo and said that he doesn't do ENT but thinks it looks like pharyngitis... I'm still really worried and some consolation would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Describing my symptoms or other symptoms won't reassure you. I've been part of this forum long enough to see a spiral when I see one.

I will say, as a survivor, what you describe doesn't present as cancer. Take it or leave it. And about the "leave it" part? Quit smoking if you have this fear. I can assure you, you'll have health issues later in life if you continue.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for your advice. I'm still just very concerned, now I have like white lines + bumps at the back of my throat on the right hand side... looks like it's swollen tissue or something. I am really terrified there is something wrong...

Thread Information