Thread: So was doing well untill... wooden splinter in hand tetanus worries

So was doing well untill... wooden splinter in hand tetanus worries

Hey,

Ok I've been putting some things into practice and generally the last few weeks have been pretty good but today I was cutting some wood to make a base for my simulator rig upstairs and upon sanding it down with paper I saw a piece of wood like a little splinter go near my hand Now I'm not sure if it went in or what unless it just spiked me.

Anyway washed where it went and put some sudocrem on it but I don't know if there is anything still in there or not :(I don't know how you find out.

I did have my tdap at 15, I'm 21 now I did have all my previous ones aswell but Idk is it still possible to get tetanus even after the vaccine even if you do step on a nail or something?

Anyway I'm now worried about this :( I can't progress with life if i worry about this stuff all the time considering I want to learn welding aswell.

Cheers, Jack

Re: So was doing well untill... wooden splinter in hand tetanus worries

You need to be penetrated by a rusty, dirty nail. A small wood splinter is not a tetanus risk.

If that did happen at any point would I have to go and get a booster or how does the vaccine work. Idk maybe but I just worry about every little thing I do atm :/

I don't know exactly how the vaccine works and I don't wish to indulge your anxiety by getting too deeply into it.

I think a booster is required at some point, but I think I'm right in saying the vaccine gives you at least a decade of immunity. Someone better informed might pop along to explain, but your issue is anxiety and anxiety alone. It's great that you've been doing better, but don't let a tiny, insignificant splinter derail your progress.

At your age, you will have had all the tetanus vaccines you need at school. You won't need any more in your lifetime. So don't worry about getting tetanus, it's NOT going to happen. You could quite happily jab yourself all day with rusty nails and you will not get tetanus.

Splinters will cause you no harm whatsoever besides mild pain and irritation. In my line of work I get splinters and thorns in my skin just about everyday. None have killed me yet.

Thread Information