Thread: Back side of tongue pain

Back side of tongue pain

I got my teeth cleaned about 4 wks ago and about 4 days later started getting this burning pain on one side on the lateral back side of tongue. Never had this before and maybe just coincidence and nothing to do with dentist appt but went back and they referred me oral surgeon.
    I had appt with surgeon who's been in practice 30+ yrs and he said it's what's called a lingual foliate papillae, which is basically an inflamed taste bud. Of course having HA, this was reassuring for a few days as he said it's usually caused by viral infection and should go away in 7-10 days. Well it's been nearly a month since it started and now I have same issue on other side. Some days it's very annoying and has this burning like pain, while I've had a couple days where it nearly feels normal. It's great first thing in the morning but slowly gets worse throughout day.
    I know I shouldn't be looking this stuff online and it says stress can make these worse but my anxiety is running a bit wild again. Anyways, anyone ever get this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Re: Back side of tongue pain

Called my PCP and explained what was going on and she suggested I try a new toothpaste that doesn't contain a whitener. She doesn't seem concerned and I have full physical and blood work next month. Still thinking bad things though. Anxiety sucks

What’s your tongue look like?

Looks fine, except I have two tongue calluses on one side which doc said we're fine. It's the far back of tongue on each side that gets sore, but only during the day. I've also had some burning sensation elsewhere including lips and random places on tongue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue23Blent View Post
    What’s your tongue look like?

Any other thoughts on this? I don't think it's a toothpaste issue. It's the same pattern every day. Feels good, maybe slight pain first thing in the morning, then gets worse as day goes on to then subside before bed. I keep looking, poking and proding several times a day inside my mouth, mostly back side of my tongue and I'm not seeing much other than the taste buds that exist there. None are irritated or red, yet I have this nagging burning, at times pain, that goes from side to side, burning sensation, etc.

I should also mention I was diagnosed with benign fasiculation syndrome (BFS) back in March and there are reports of people having burning tongue/mouth syndrome with this. I was also low in B12. I've been supplementing ever since. Then I read it can all be caused by anxiety. I want to think that could be it because I'm constantly thinking of oral cancer and until I see my PCP in two weeks, not much I can do. So frustrating.

Thread Information