Page 100 of 717 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200600 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 7166

Thread: Covid-19 discussion thread

Re: Covid-19 discussion thread

Yet again, the Government gets it wrong.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9619436.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Yet again, the Government gets it wrong.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9619436.html
    This is getting beyond a joke now

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Did you all see John Oliver's piece on conspiracy theories? I thought it was really well-put together.

Geo-restricted, I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    This is getting beyond a joke now
    It was mentioned in the message I got from my GP surgery back in May that valved masks are an absolute no-no - no explanation why but I know why as I'm a regular occupational mask user.

Okay, the organic soy single-bean latte-drinking twerp who composited this animation probably thought it looked good when he or she did this, but I'm astounded (well, no, actually I'm not) that at no point did someone watch this and say "Hang on... that's a valved mask, they're unacceptable. Go away and re-render it without one".

Still, that's what you get when you vote for thick three-word populists. I wouldn't trust them to run a bath, let alone a country.

It might've been an oversight. I wouldn't be surprised.

A lot of the ads I've seen for valve masks also include a filter that is placed inside the mask. This is a one use type. Doesn't that filter your breath before it reaches the valve?

In which case, why bother with the valve? Unless the mask offers much higher protection (e.g. P2/P3) and a lesser filter is in the outlet it's pointless. Also, if the mask is rated to P2/P3 and you wish to maintain that rating, men are going to have to shave their beards off (where applicable).

As has repeatedly been said: the purpose of face coverings is to protect others. Now, I know in a country that's become all about me, me, me in the last four decades that it's a difficult concept to grasp, but that's what it is.

Perhaps because the mask was intended for something else? They make an adjustment by adding a filter to protect both ways? The filter is just a square inserted inside the mask between the face and mask.

Why bother? It may be that it is more comfortable for certain people? Those with breathing conditions may find masks difficult so does the valve compensate for this? And does adding a filter then make them too stuffy again?

Has the advice about face coverings ever explained to people that a valve means you need to add a filter? We know masks are to protect others and not us because WHO and the NHS have been saying this from the beginning. So it could be people are seeing all the ads for masks but don't understand why some aren't suitable or need additions to make them so.

I recall watching a talk way back in late February given by a South Korean infectious disease expert and he was quite vocal in saying that face masks were one of the key weapons in reducing transmission of Covid-19.

I think there’s ample evidence that they are at least of some benefit. Look at the relatively low transmission rates in places like South Korea and China. Both populations are quite used to wearing masks due mostly to either air pollution or fairly recent viral outbreaks.

Compare that to Europe and the Americas, cultures who have never really had need for face coverings in public spaces.

I don’t really know why this idea of face coverings has only recently become something that was encouraged. Surely there have been previous studies as to the effectiveness of these masks against viral spores? It honestly is a source of genuine confusion to me that face masks are being touted now that transmission is low yet when it was high the masks were almost branded utterly useless.

The mistakes are becoming clearer by the day to be honest.

Agreed, Gary. After all the years of mask wearing it seems strange in a world of science that has spent time & money on how to make the perfect cup of tea.

The US were getting ridiculed for their promotion of masks a while back and slowly we seem to be joining in.

I do wonder if this will become more common here to combat regular flu? Business love moaning about their losses due to sick periods so perhaps now we have tried it they may become a more common element of health strategy? That will make the CTers jump up & down as they high five themselves telling us about the slippery slope.

Back to masks though, all this talk about using certain ones yet the law allows me to make one out of an old t-shirt. I can't see that stopping much of anything that small.

Page 100 of 717 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200600 ... LastLast

Thread Information