Thread: Well on my path to recovery

Well on my path to recovery

Recovery means something different to anyone, but I think I've realized that for me, it means being able to enjoy life, despite having the occasional panic attack. For me, it also means doing things I was previously afraid to do. To me it means not feeling restricted by my fears. To that end, I truly believe I am on the road to recovery.

Last February was a wake up call when I was admitted to the hospital, but since getting out, I have begun to accept my mind and all of its quirks. My primary mental illness was agoraphobia, somatic symptom disorder, panic disorder, and recurrent deep depression that would last for months on end.

However, by February, these negative feelings became constant to the point where I was battling suicidal ideation, I lost about 50 pounds from just not eating, and I lost a lot of muscle from staying in bed on average of 20 hours a day. I was also on an indefinite leave of absence from work, which paradoxically created more feelings of sadness and inadequacy.

My wake-up call had me in the hospital, being adjusted to medication, and doing intensive therapy sessions and meetings with my psychiatrist. When I got out, I was still on shaky grounds. I thought to myself: "what if things get worse, even when I'm on pills? Then would all of my options be out the window?" People on this forum helped a lot to ease my mind, but it wasn't until a month or so later that I hit gold: I found actual methods to maintain my mental hygiene, and it started with accepting my mental illness for what it is - an illness, but not something that defined me. Also, I discovered that there are always options for me: there is never a total lack of hope.

Since getting discharged, I signed up for a peer support role for a notable mental health organization, I'm beginning my own website (and hopefully eventual non-profit) that encourages expression through different means as a way to help in the recovery process, I'm working full time hours confidently, and I bought a bicycle and go for daily walks.

If anyone knows what my deal was, my primary panic trigger was exercise. Elevating my heart rate sent me into a huge downward spiral. Now that I feel confident enough to go for walks, it feels so much more empowering. And the bicycle I bought will be used as soon as I purchase a helmet. I'm not feeling limited like I did before, and I see hope on the horizon.

For anyone going through your individual problems, just remember that there is always hope. You will get through this. In February I wouldn't have believed these words, but it is truly difficult to see hope when your mind refuses to let you see it. Just know that wherever you are on your steps to recovery, that you will get through it.

Also, if you need to vent or talk, please private message me. I'd be happy to help and share coping strategies. Giving back to this community is the least I could do as you've helped me rise out of my slump.

Andrew

Re: Well on my path to recovery

I am so happy to see this awesome recovery story! I am also recovering, and seeing the bright light at the end of the long tunnel. I love seeing these positive stories. I hope many people look at this and can feel hopeful!

Re: Well on my path to recovery

Great to hear you are doing well and I wish you all the best for the future too.

I also suffered triggers by the fear of my heart rate increasing which brought on chronic pain in my shoulder chest and made me feel like I was going to die of a heart attack ! When the docs told me I was fine I’d think it was something else! Tumours! Or I’m going crazy, I would freeze and suffer depersonalisation and derealisation following two bad attacks close together and I was very scared and it’s been a battle ever since, at my worse I felt like suicide was following me around everywhere, it was happening in my town, on th tv, in the news and it was making me feel horrible, it gave me intrusive thoughts and actually made me panic even more! But why? Because I didn’t ever want to do that! But my mind was so full of negative thoughts you struggle to find the goodness to fester on instead of the negative ! I’ve used CBT and been put on amitriptyline for my pain and this has helped to relaxe me too. I am no longer suffering constant palpitations, most of my chronic shoulder pain has disappeared and just last week I completed a 96 mile walk over 5 days! It was so hard but I done it free of fear. I have kept my fear at bay and had excellent control over my panic/anxiety/nervous adrenaline cortisol chemical combination that flows through my body for weeks on end now!! But What’s strange for me is when I do get this feeling it’s no longer accompanied by fear! I can still get on with everything but it’s still annoying! What I’m trying to figure out now is will it ever completely go?! Is my body reacting to certain situations that make my adrenaline flow?! Things that arnt necessarily fearful but are nerve racking like watching a football match or boxing! Meeting friends is another situation, they are all aware of how I’ve been feeling and I guess I create these feelings muse and it’s confusing me as to why I get so nervous?! I’ve always suffered from health anxiety and had large periods of my childhood when I would be scared to leave the house because of bullies so I guess these are all just triggers?! I have been more conscious of my heart when I’m falling asleep and think that’s annoying because I keep jumping just as I’m about to nod off! Sometimes I wake through the night and have to remind myself that everything is ok and go back to sleep!

Today and yesterday I’ve had that feeling of doom ! Without the fear of doom, if that makes any sense?! that combination I referred to earlier and I guess it’s just slightly got the better of me today and I’m having a wee down day which is ok! This does tend to happen every 2 -3 weeks but at the start it was much shorter lapses that crippled me with fear ! my favourite saying is don’t let a bad today ruin a good tomorrow! So I guess I need to listen to my own advice lol

I’m now 4 months with no panic attack, pain free almost and about a 75% reduction in my palpitations, no more dr google, no more negative news feeds on my apps, lots more exercise, doing well at work, being more open, good brain retrain techniques, absorbing the right knowledge to help move forward and trying to put a positive spin on to any situation, I’ve also taken up photography and I’m getting married in October.

So keep fighting and living and get to that light at the end of the tunnel.

wishing you well Gary

Thread Information