Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you sleep ALOT during depression?

Unhappy Do you sleep ALOT during depression?

I’ve always been one too oversleep (one of the reasons I had to be homeschooled) and one of the reasons why I am now self employed as making it anywhere one time is a challenge. I’ve been in a severe HA depression mostly for the past month or so and find myself sleeping up to 14 hours sometimes 10 or 12. When I wake up I’m still LAZY and tired !!! It’s like I can’t wait to go to sleep to dream about something good and just shut my mind off from thinking all these negative thoughts. I see a lot of people saying they can’t sleep cause of anxiety and depression but I’m the opposite. I wanna stay under my covers 24/7 :( is this normal for depression?

Re: Do you sleep ALOT during depression?

Yes - loss of energy is very common. I had so much trouble getting out of bed, it was just preferable to be asleep.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. xx
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thank you for the reply! I see so many people having depression and trouble sleeping. I’m like the opposite lol. I hope to be back on track soon ! Thank u

I remeneber when I was younger and first dealing with depression, I would sleep for nearly eighteen hours a day! Yet I would be constantly exhausted. I know how hard it can be! Hope you find a better sleeping pattern soon x! I know how hard it can be!

Thank you so much. Feels better knowing this is common for some people. I’m going to try to find something to do during the day and sleep no more than 7-8 hours starting tomorrow. Let’s see how it goes :/ I know I’ve always been this way but back then I didn’t know I was depressed now I know for a fact I’m depressed.

People require different amounts of sleep. There are some people who are satisfied with 5 hours a night, and others who need 9 or 10 to feel rested. I'm one of those people.

But when I get depressed, it's insane. I never feel rested. I can sleep 16 hours in a day...kind of like a cat. And I lose all my motivation, and it's hard for me to even get up out of bed.

Yes Antsy!!! That’s my same issue literally zero motivation. Like I want to stay under my comfortable sheets all day and night and forget about all my problems. Yet I wake up even more sleepy.

Yep, for me medication helps.

I’ve been thinking about it but I’m scared to. It seems like people go through a lot just to find a med that agrees with them. I wish I had a magic pill that would make me happy fast lol

Yes it certanly makes me tired all the time. It really messes up my sleeping patterns as I can easily fall asleep at the wrong times and then can't sleep when I feel I really should be sleeping when everone else is. I'm worst for falling asleep in front of the telly. I often miss the ends of programmes because I just can't stay awake long enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information