Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Gaba supplements help sleep?

Re: Do Gaba supplements help sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by gronk View Post
    Thanks for that info bro

I ain't gonna waste any coin on GABA supplements now.
    You're welcome; and hopefully things will improve for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    A small number of people may develop a chronic neuroadaption with long term BZD use which limits binding site rebound producing longer term withdrawal symptoms, but they are rare. In most cases the problem is people are back to where they started with the same issues and same binding site deficits so weaning off BZDs should wait until an alternative anxiety treatments, med, or therapy, is working well. The right frame of mind is also important. Become convinced that stopping BZDs will be a nightmare and an anxious mind is quite capable of delivering our worst nightmare to us.
    Thank you, that is very reassuring to know. I read those articles today and I think I have a better understanding now. Yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there and they say it takes years (if ever) to recover. I know I'm nowhere near ready to stop Clonazepam, but I"m down to a lower dosage than I used to be and I did it on my own when I realized I could 'get by' with less (from 1.5 MG daily down to .75). I just wish there was a natural way to increase GABA - I know that isn't helpful as consuming it orally doesn't get to the brain anyway ... which I why I was thinking Theanine would helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't .. besides I already drink enough green tea because I enjoy it

I think you're right though, that worry alone re discontinuation of a benoz scares the bejesus out of me. Again, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    The best way of taking GABA supplements is by flushing them down the toilet. They'll work just as well and you don't risk choking on the buggers.

Tasmania. But I lived in QLD for about 20 years off and on mostly near Brisbane, but also occasionally Townsville. Not a fan, mate. Hate the humidity.
    Thats deadly bro they say Taz is a great place to live. If you run into any of my Pakana bros tell them gday from a Murri mob bunji. If their semi decent they will share their bottle with you

Yeah people from out of town say its humid here but I never crossed a state border in my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    You're welcome; and hopefully things will improve for you. Thank you, that is very reassuring to know. I read those articles today and I think I have a better understanding now. Yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there and they say it takes years (if ever) to recover. I know I'm nowhere near ready to stop Clonazepam, but I"m down to a lower dosage than I used to be and I did it on my own when I realized I could 'get by' with less (from 1.5 MG daily down to .75). I just wish there was a natural way to increase GABA - I know that isn't helpful as consuming it orally doesn't get to the brain anyway ... which I why I was thinking Theanine would helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't .. besides I already drink enough green tea because I enjoy it

I think you're right though, that worry alone re discontinuation of a benoz scares the bejesus out of me. Again, thank you.
    Clonazepam is rivotril yeah? I tried one once, it lasted a long time but that scared me a bit. I took xanax before what only lasted 2 or 3 hours

You done deadly bro to cut dose by half. I reckon you could continue down that path next time your in a good place.

If its OK for me to say this, I think you think too much about your brain chemicals. I wouldn't know a GABA from a serotonin to be honest. We got a gabba near where I live but its a sports ground

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    I just wish there was a natural way to increase GABA - I know that isn't helpful as consuming it orally doesn't get to the brain anyway ...
    Your brain doesn't lack GABA. As per a previous post, the brain makes so much GABA as part of its energy production that there are billions of 'pumps' in the blood-brain-barrier to suck it out for disposal. What your brain lacks is BZD binding sites which increase the effectiveness of GABA receptors. Trying to rectify this by getting more GABA into the brain is akin to attempting to fix faulty spark plugs by filling the gas/petrol tank to overflowing. It ain't going to work (there are also other reasons why is won't). OTOH, ADs can increase BZD binding site density. The problem is BZDs inhibit their effectiveness which puts you into a vicious circle that can only be broken by eliminating one of the segments, ideally stopping the BZD.

I think you're right though, that worry alone re discontinuation of a benoz scares the bejesus out of me.
    The anticipation is often far worse than the reality.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 12-03-21 at 06:43.

Quote Originally Posted by gronk View Post
    If their semi decent they will share their bottle with you
    They've already tried, but alcohol and ADs aren't a good mix especially at the high dose I'm on.

I never crossed a state border in my entire life.
    Some people might say you don't know what you're missing, and others might suggest it's not much. They both might be right. The best place in the world is wherever you're happy and content.

Thank you guys for your advice

I use meditation and mindfulness to fall asleep. Works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information