Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline in the news in the UK

Sertraline in the news in the UK

Hello

Has anyone seen the article in the newspapers regarding Sertraline over the last couple of days?

Any opinions?

xx

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Sertraline in the news in the UK

Sertraline has been around since the early 1990s, so if there was a strong link between it and people suddenly dropping dead, it would have been discovered by now.

I believe the tragic circumstances of these rare cases involved an undiagnosed pre-existing heart condition.

I wouldn't advise anyone suddenly stopping their meds because of this and to speak to their GP before doing so.

Never Surrender, Comrade

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Here's the thing, I posted on this forum about fast heart rate when I was on these drugs and people said it was normal. I was on 150mg. I even told my doctor. One of the lady's that died was on them a short time and she complained of a fast heart rate. She collapsed in the street with a heart rate of 150bpm and had a heart attack.

For anyone on them, it would be wise to raise the recent news with a medical professional to be on the safe side. I don't care when these drugs were created, that's not to say they're completely safe and such advise in nonsense. There could be a number of reasons including a change to the chemical makeup of the drug as is often done in medicine to improve drugs.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

No, it's not "nonsense". Drugs have to be made according to their chemical formula. They can't suddenly decide to change it after 30 years. Any "additives" must also be non-active, meaning not psychoactive. So you are scaremongering.

I repeat: Anyone with concerns should consult their GP.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    No, it's not "nonsense". Drugs have to be made according to their chemical formula. They can't suddenly decide to change it after 30 years. Any "additives" must also be non-active, meaning not psychoactive. So you are scaremongering.

Have you read the articles, KK? I think you will make the same conclusions I have about it being misleading.

One case reported dangerously high levels of the drug. Without more information from the inquest, typically not provided by journalists, we don't know what led to that whether it was misadventure or combination of substances.

Serotonin Syndrome causes arythmia. Deaths due to SS are uncommon and more likely due to combination issues. But without reading inquest reports we don't know if there is or isn't a link to this.

The first link even gives statistics showing the low number of deaths along with a large scale study that proved Sertraline was quite safe for the heart.

The devil is in the detail in these cases. If you don't delve into it you leave yourself open to the click bait.

I agree with you. I'm sure you'll agree we may always discover new things about these drugs as yet are not well understood but a mass market drug used for decades with a low mortality rate is not showing big red flags.

They certainly found some with high dose Citalopram but the largest numbers of users would have been on lower doses which may have hidden some of this plus cardiovascular science has moved on. And these events caused them to consider the potential for other commonly used SSRI/SNRI drugs to have similar effects yet they found no concern.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-03-19 at 19:13.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post

Shoot the messenger why don't you. I clearly said it's wise to discuss with a GP. If I were on these medications I'd quit over those headlines. I don't touch ad's anymore. Bad stuff. Mess up your liver and become emotionless in the quest for better mental health. I found a natural alternative I've always said AD's end up causing other problems long term. Seen it with my Dad, and now there's links to sertraline being linked to heart problems. I'm on the nope train.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Have you read the articles, KK? I think you will make the same conclusions I have about it being misleading.

One case reported dangerously high levels of the drug. Without more information from the inquest, typically not provided by journalists, we don't know what led to that whether it was misadventure or combination of substances.

Serotonin Syndrome causes arythmia. Deaths due to SS are uncommon and more likely due to combination issues. But without reading inquest reports we don't know if there is or isn't a link to this.

The first link even gives statistics showing the low number of deaths along with a large scale study that proved Sertraline was quite safe for the heart.

The devil is in the detail in these cases. If you don't delve into it you leave yourself open to the click bait.

I agree with you. I'm sure you'll agree we may always discover new things about these drugs as yet are not well understood but a mass market drug used for decades with a low mortality rate is not showing big red flags.

They certainly found some with high dose Citalopram but the largest numbers of users would have been on lower doses which may have hidden some of this plus cardiovascular science has moved on. And these events caused them to consider the potential for other commonly used SSRI/SNRI drugs to have similar effects yet they found no concern.
    I immediately saw the hole in these "stories". High levels of any drug can have dangerous consequences (some, eg paracetamol, fatal). Why such high levels of sertraline were found is not made clear as you point out. So this is essentially an overdose due to perhaps misadventure or even a metabolic event causing a build up of the drug. Interactions with several other meds (including grapefruit juice) can block metabolism raising levels too. And in overdose the patient is at risk of Serotonin Syndrome which can be fatal. Anyone can Google its symptoms and is virtually unheard of at therapeutic levels unless interactions with other meds are involved.

The link between citalopram and QT Prolongation is now well known and resulted in the max dose being reduced to 40 from 60mg. However, this "scare" is about sertraline, which has been prescribed to heart patients for decades now due to it being deemed the "safest" SSRI for this subgroup of patients.

The whole story provides only a casual, tenuous link between sertraline in overdose and mortality. In my view it is a non-story to scare patients - and we all know it's never advisable to just stop these drugs without tapering.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Ignore me folks. I'm back on them lmfao! I think the above posts were made on my bad days.

Anxiety + scary news headlines = irrational thoughts.

☪️️

Man I just started Sertraline today :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information