Thread: is it called derealization?

is it called derealization?

I have health anxiety.. (unless its really some sort of health problem which ive been constantly wondering...) and one of the symptoms that shock me alot is derealization. When I first started feeling sick and got panic attack, derealization only came to me once a while. Then for a week straight, it hit me constantly to the point where I keep wondering why its like that and I get paranoid of the visual perceptions ahead of me. Recently, it calmed down but I still get it like throughout the day. I noticed it happens alot when I'm alone or when I'm at a well open space like the mall or walking for a duration of time on the streets. My vision will suddenly turn really odd. Not blurry or anything but the field of vision looks really unreal to me. Like everything becomes brighter and the athmosphere would feel different. It's like my visual perception is altered in to something else. I can see everything clearly but the vision is altered and it scares me, I try to ignore it or go along with it but I always end up worrying about why my visions are like this. I kept thinking maybe I have a few damaged nerves in my head or body that caused this. I am really worried because it doesnt feel normal and I am really not sure if it's derealization or something else. It makes me want to just leave the place I'm at and sit somewhere and wait for my vision to go back to normal.

:/ I am worried. Is this derealization?

Re: is it called derealization?

I have this.

If I am alone, which is generally in my apartment I keep busy on computer or reading or 'something'... and i find i never really get it then.

However, as soon as i am walking or meeting new people or in some sort of social activity or going shopping, the anxiety returns and DR comes back. Vision out of focus, and everything around you seems 'strange'....

I have been doing meditation which helps when i have felt like this and it does subside, as it is just anxiety causing the DR. I also am doing EFT (tapping) to help this.

However, I am currently looking at ways to cope with DR when I am out and about, as meditating in the middle of the shops isnt really ideal!

I am also looking to elminate the anxiety causing the DR... for instance, removing any stresses and working on being more positive and reframing situations to cause me less anxiety and doing yoga and going to the gym.

Any coping tips much appreciated, hope this helps. xx

Thread Information