Thread: and so it starts again - IBS

and so it starts again - IBS

So, I've posted a few times about IBS / bowel issues.

been fine for a few months, no pain, no issues going number 2 (for about 2 -3 months) and then last week something hit me... full of wind again, difficulty going, a haemorrhoid popped up and went within a couple of days but I'm still having this issue.

I say the past 2-3 months I've had no issues...

for about a week over the month (so a 7 day total over the 30 days in a month) I might have a pencil like stool, not all really thin, but I would describe it as if I'm full of tension... and its trying to push a bit of clay through a small mould if you understand what I mean...

Thats my concern, I haven't had any other tests (camera or anything) I've had blood works and stool tests for celiacs / collitis and the other one, and the conclusion was IBS, but I'm stressing about the thin stools because I've read (from dr google) that it could mean pollyps / cancer / a blockage in the bowel...

I think obviously its an IBS flareup possibly constipation mixed with a little diarrhoea, fairly mucousy on both of them pain is back a little bit, but the constant gas and needing to go but very little bar little tiny bits is all im doing (been eating senna tablets to help me go (which is has) but I'm stumped... :s

anyone help?

cheers

Re: and so it starts again - IBS

It's IBS.

That's all....if you can describe IBS as 'that's all!'

I am just about getting over a flare up myself, and like you, I have been freaking out that this is something really bad, as my symptoms have changed. I normally always get the left side colon nagging first, and the bloating, and the constipation and abdo pain, but this time I have had very low abdo pain/pelvic pain, no left side nags at all, the pooing problems (as you mention, not able to pass much but feeling like I need to go really badly) and (worst of all ) a shooting pain up my bottom, especially when I sit down. My poos are also small and sometimes thin, but I just put this down to constipation. I have also had a noisy stomach, a ton of gas which I have been taking Wind Setler tablets for (like eating Smarties!) and the list goes on.

It is really hard for us to believe that this is really IBS when we have a bad flare up, but more often than not, it is. The fact we experience times in between flare ups where our bowels and symptoms settle again tells us that this is not more serious, as if it was, it is doubtful that the symptoms would just go away...they would remain.

Cheers Debs for the swift reply.

I get what you mean, just IBS, I think its difficult, with like what you said you had one set of symptoms the first time round and now its a different set of symptoms.. which is crazy how it happens but its also intriguing haha.

The shooting pain up your bottom.. I get that LOADS, I figured out what it is (for me anyways might not be for you), it's gas, I'll get it when I must be about to 'burst' as I can let it out and then sit down again and its all good.

Regarding the wind I only ever once had bad wind/bloating and I used rennie deflatine (picture below), I mean I ate them like sweets 2-3 at a time but they worked... after maybe 2-3 hours just couldn't stop, was like it had opened a valve and was letting all the air out haha.

I have a ridiculously loud stomach when it starts, like embarrassingly loud

I noticed too when I use the toilet, you can hear my stomach gargling as if its pushing more along to the freed up space, its weird but I guess its just part of the IBS, new symptoms - I'm still in the 'newly diagnosed' stage, 2-3 months ago was when I was told 'its probably ibs' not given any info on it mind you, just it probably this as nothing else points towards anything specific, done all my own research (mind you, I ignored like all of it, like the cutting out bad foods, I stopped eating eggs and mayonaise (eggs seem/seemed to be my trigger :( I love eggs :<(

again cheers for the reply, gave me the info I wanted / needed to re-assure myself I was fine

Hi again Nathan,

No probs at all.

Yep, the worst thing for me this time was the pain up the bottom....which is LITERALLY a pain in the bum, lol.

It's like an electric shock every time I sit....isn't IBS just so glamorous - wind, gurgling, weird poo, stomach like a basketball!

Thanks for the recommendation about Deflatine. I haven't tried it as yet, but I have eyed it up several times on my regular trips to Superdrug for IBS help (I think I may well be keeping that store afloat with all of my purchases over the years, lol)

I've also tried the food elimination thing, but even by keeping a food diary, I just can't pinpoint what sets my IBS off. Sometimes it happens after eating certain stuff, and then on another occasion, it doesn't. I find that a big breakfast - like an eggs on toast or bacon sandwich can have me running for the loo within a half hour or so of eating, but that is about it. (which I'm gutted about, as like you, I love eggs and I love a fry-up!)

Oh well.....that is life with IBS I s'pose. I really hope your flare up settles down soon.x

Hi Nathan,

just wanted to tell you, i had a fear from bowel cancer/ bowel obstruction one year ago because of constipation, abdominal discomfort, flank pain probably from gas, major weight loss and positive occult blood test. But the worst symptom was that few times i got this, pencil like stool (which i had never before) and after googling and finding same statements as you, i was really convinced that i had cancer. One week after i had colonoscopy and everything was normal, except i had haemorrhoids.

Thread Information