Thread: Irrational HIV fears, again and again, help me!

Irrational HIV fears, again and again, help me!

So, I went to the orthopedic doctor yesterday for problems and pain with my hand (thumb), and he diagnosed it as something called Trigger thumb. He also did some x rays of my leg, and spine, because I have had some intermittent pain down one leg. Firstly, when I was waiting for him to read the x-rays, I wanted to put my pants back on and I sat on the chair in my underwear. That scared me first, because I am severe germaphobe. But, worse was yet to come the doctor brought the cortisone injection, saying that it will resolve my hand pain at least for a year. I agreed, and I got the shot in the base of my thumb. When I left the clinic, I was actually happy, also because the doctor, an older man, was very pleasant, and famous orthopedic surgeon in the area, so I trusted him. However, - and it is a huge however - in the middle of the night I woke up with horrible anxiety because I did not see him taking new syringe/needle?! I have had this haunting fear that somehow I will get infected with HIV, and it repeats itself on and on. This is a highly reputable orthopedic clinic within Mayo clinic affiliated hospital in the suburb of Washington D.C. – but do I even have to mention it? I cannot stop the anxiety, do not know how to do it. I think I am this rare, sad creature who gets HIV testing at least once a year, without being sexually active or drug user. This is absolutely ruining my life, to say the least. Do I have to go again to test, after having a test 2 months ago, because I do not know how to get rid of the anxiety and rumination? (I tested than because I thought that few months earlier a barista in Starbucks spit into my coffee). Beg of you, friend and fellow sufferers, I need an honest reply, no matter how cruel. Thank you

Re: Irrational HIV fears, again and again, help me!

Trigger thumb is a pain, one cortisone shot fixed my right thumb but my left one wouldn't resolve. I ended up having 3 more shots over the next year then had an operation which fixed it for good.

Now the facts... regarding HIV, the virus is very fragile and cannot survive very long outside the body. All surgical instruments are sterilized before and after use so there can be NO chances of contracting hepatitis (or HIV). Many syringes are prepacked with medication these days. Also, the medication is being pumped into your thumb, no blood is being sucked up like in a blood test.

I understand this is a phobia of yours but it is irrational too. There is NO way you have or will ever contract HIV or anything else from a cortisone injection for trigger thumb. I had mine done 5 years ago and am fine, so are you. If you don't believe me, you could always contact your Dr and check with them for reassurance. I hope you believe them.

Thank you! I wish I could just stop thinking about it, this is so horrible. I was thinking about checking with the office, but to be honest, I do not know even how to start asking, I feel sort of ashamed. I just want to stop thinking about it.

Deep inside I know that nobody in the developed ( and also other) countries, re-uses syringes nowadays. Again, without being sexually active, and having never used any drugs, why do I create this horrible thoughts and irrational scenarios? Thank you for your reassurance, WiseMonkey

Irrational. In this day and age there is not a single clinic in the entire western world that use used needles. They are all thrown away; not cleaned, but thrown away after use. And if they did not the clinic would shut down. So it is irrational. Nobody gets HIV this way. If it did you would make national headlines and it would be all over the media and the clinic would be disgraced.

Thank you paranoid-viking, so much! As we all here know, reassurance , and a blunt one to boot, really helps, albeit temporarily. But that is exactly what I need now - relief from this issue. And to continue with my horrible anxiety/OCD therapy.

Thread Information