Thread: Tips for being nervous on work interviews?

Tips for being nervous on work interviews?

Today I went on an interview (haven't been on one in over 6 years)..I was not so nervous before it but once I met up with the lady who interviewed me I started to freeze up. I began stuttering and getting jittery. I think I pretty much did horrible in the beginning! Luckily, as the interview progressed I started to feel better/more comfortable.

Any tips on how to not get so shaken up? I don't want to screw up anymore future job prospects! Thanks!

Re: Tips for being nervous on work interviews?

I think it's understandable you were nervous in your first interview in 6 years (well done on getting through it though!). You'll hopefully find the next ones get a lot easier. My advice would be to remember that you did get more relaxed as you went along, so focus on that if you can. Some breathing exercises might be handy beforehand, and also do your homework on the company and maybe even practice with some pretend questions and answers to give you a little more confidence.

Hi it's normal to have some nerves at interviews, I recently had an interview and before I went in was breathing rapidly so told myself to calm down and took some deep breaths and convinced myself I was capable of doing this job and would be an asset. I got the job through selling myself by saying what I thought they wanted to hear. In the end the job wasn't for me but I found something better and more interesting.

Picture the person interviewing you naked!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenious View Post
    I think it's understandable you were nervous in your first interview in 6 years (well done on getting through it though!). You'll hopefully find the next ones get a lot easier. My advice would be to remember that you did get more relaxed as you went along, so focus on that if you can. Some breathing exercises might be handy beforehand, and also do your homework on the company and maybe even practice with some pretend questions and answers to give you a little more confidence.

Thank you so much. I don't have a lot of social interaction with people outside my family, best friend, boyfriend & current coworkers..which I think is why I'm overall anti social. I've always been shy & etc....with strangers.

As we started talking..things started to get more better...I just need to focus on it all together..thanks so much for the tips!

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by china doll View Post
    Hi it's normal to have some nerves at interviews, I recently had an interview and before I went in was breathing rapidly so told myself to calm down and took some deep breaths and convinced myself I was capable of doing this job and would be an asset. I got the job through selling myself by saying what I thought they wanted to hear. In the end the job wasn't for me but I found something better and more interesting.

Oh wow...I'm so happy to hear you found something better!! Hope it works out for you!!

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CameronG View Post
    Picture the person interviewing you naked!

Yeah, I've heard about that ''trick'' before! I should try it next time!

Thread Information