Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangers of SSRIs

Dangers of SSRIs

I didn't know which thread to post this in.

I've always been a big advocate of SSRI's. I believe Citalopram helped me massively over the last 11 years.

Since coming off them last year and then coming back on them due to a relapse of worsened anxiety, I have been rather concerned.

It's been 2 months back on the medication and there has not only been no improvement, but a decline. I tried to take my own life thursday night and I've been self harming. This isn't me. I was put on the meds for anxiety not depression.
    I'm struggling badly with a whole host of other side effects. I can't sleep, I feel sick etc.

My biggest concern is my suicidal attitudes and deep deep depression as well as my constant non specific anxiety. I've had anxiety my entire life but never to the point where it's constant and non specific.

I also, don't feel me. When I started to relapse and have panic attacks again, I still felt like me. I no longer do. I feel numb and different.

I explained to my dad how SSRIs work this evening on youtube and when typing in how they work, I noticed A LOT of videos from a few whistleblowers who used to work for big pharma companies. This led me to some google searching and saw alot of information that shocked me. Statistics such as prozac being as effective as a sugar pill (placebo) in many many trials. Also how they tried to cover up the links between SSRI's and suicides.

I'm not against them at all and not trying to put people off the medication, but I think there is more to these drugs that people need to be told about.

I bet less than 1% of us on SSRI's are told BEFORE taking them by the GP prescribing them, that they will be difficult to come off of and also that they WILL cause very nasty side effects to start with.

I also understand that the serotonin argument is just a theory and is not fact. It's impossible to measure serotonin levels in the brain. No one can out rightly prove that Serotonin reuptake needs inhibiting. And trials show that most SSRI's are very similar results to placebos but come with a whole host of side effects.

I'm merely bringing this up because of how close I was to taking my own life the other night and how I've had non stop suicidal thoughts. I'm not blaming the drug but I feel it might be something to do with it. I'm also massively concerned that in all my life of having anxiety, I've never been this bad in all my life.

Why can doctors give out such a cheap pill to us without following us up and doing more checks and giving us more information? Without the internet, I would think there is something very wrong with me, but I only need to have a look in the SSRI section of this forum to see the nightmares people are going through, both coming on and coming off of the drug.

It's really made me rethink. I really badly want to come off Citalopram right now. I think I'd rather face anxiety armed with a clear mind and CBT along with some health supplements and some anti stress measurements in place.

I'm going to start very slowly lowering my dose and also switching to another SSRI in the meanwhile as this clearly is doing nothing for me.

This really has opened my eyes. I'm not ME right now and it's VERY scary!

Re: Dangers of SSRIs

Hi Steveo.... I read your blog by the way.... you are remarkable for doing that...
    from my experience with a ssri i was put on sertraline... and it made me 100x worse with my anxiety... i was absoloutly all over the place.... for 2 weeks i stuck it out and couldnt take it anymore.... i was having awful thoughts and was so unwell.. my doc decided to try me on a snri called mirtazapine.... and it worked wonders...

That was just my experience but maybe a thought for you ??

Carls xxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIjOZq_AUeE

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Yeah I'm not against them at all. Like I said, I think they did me good for 11 years.

But right now I'm in a worse place I was before starting the medication a second time round. This has caused me to really read up on everything.

Thanks so much for reading my blog Carls xxx

Steven,

Moved to the medication forum.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Pipkin!! I didn't know where to put it!

Please be aware I'm not trying to scare others into not taking medication!! I just don't want people to end up suicidal like I am and never have been before.

Here's a very interesting video on a mans struggle with Paxil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuYZMW-_nII

Steven,

No, I don't think you're trying to scare people. It's made very clear in the leaflets for all SSRIs that this is a potential side effect but, I agree, I'm not sure how often GPs draw attention to it. Mine didn't though I was having very frequent reviews (at least weekly) when I was at my worst.

As with all medication, it's a balance between the potential to improve quality of life and the adverse effects. For many people on ADs, the side effects are well worth it, for others, they're not. Regardless of how they work and how large a role the placebo effect plays, there's no denying that ADs have been lifesavers for many people. You're quite right though, people need to be aware of the potential to cause suicidal ideation and should be told what to do if it happens.

Citalopram may not be working for you but I think it would definitely be worth discussing other options with your GP or the psychiatric team. Like Carly above, I took Sertraline and it nearly sent me over the edge - it was horrendous - other people say it's fantastic. I now take Venlafaxine and it's worked wonders, though I had taken it before when it first came out and it was great then too. Unfortunately, it's often a case of trial and error.

For anyone reading this and taking SSRIs or similar for the first time, don't let this frighten you as they could change your life for the better. Just be aware of the potential side effects and make sure your family and friends know what to look out for.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm sorry you've had such s bad experience Steven but there's one point I'd like to make. Perhaps docs dont tell us too much about SEs etc because people are so suggestible. The suicidal thoughts one is difficult though because that is something people should know. I hope you feel better soon.

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

SSRIs did change my life first time round, there's not doubt about that.

If I knew that this was going to happen this time round I would of rather not taken anything. I'm going through hell and have out my family through it too.

I really don't want this post to scare people off which is why I was very reluctant to post it on here.

I think I really just want to raise awareness of the potential dangers it can SOMETIMES cause.

I'm sure I'll be singing their praises once my medication has been changed!

Hello there Steven,

I do kind of understand exactly what you're saying.

I had a bad experience with Citalopram at the end of last year when they had to reduce my dose because of the heart scare with being on 60mgs.

They didn't even wean me off slowly, I was told to got straight from 60mgs to 40!!

I ended up with SSRI withdrawal syndrome and it was hell believe me.

I ended up having quite a heated debate with my GP about the effects of SSRI's, and I questioned him then as to were they addictive in any way, he told me definitely no, they weren't. But I have to say that I still have my suspicions, I just don't understand how coming off them would cause me to feel so unwell if they weren't addictive in some way or another??

Please anyone reading this, don't be frightened, I'm not into the frightening game and you have to remember that this is my experience, and what I'm saying about the addictiveness, is my opinion, it isn't fact, it's just what I'm worried about.

Something that has had me worrying for quite sometime now is what exactly causes those "brain zaps"??? I know lots and lots of people get them too and it's only with the SSRI's. Now, my doctor contradicted himself a bit when I asked him what causes them and are they doing damage to the brain, his answer was "they don't really know what causes them" but "they're not harmful"........that doesn't make sense to me.......how can they say they're not harmful when they don't even know what's causing them????

Steven I'm now on 2 different SSRI's. They have left me on 20mgs of Citalopram and have put me on 100mgs of Sertraline. I don't even know it that's right??

I have to say on a positive note, that I have found Sertraline to be a lot more helpful with my anxiety than I ever found Citalopram was, so, in a way, I'm glad I was switched.

The one thing I have found when trying to discuss these things with doctors, is that they really don't like giving you a lot of answers, I kind of picked up that they are somewhat scared to tell you a lot??? they seem to skirt around the subject and that, in itself, worries me.

Steven I hope you can get some relief from your anxiety, I know it's an absolute pig to live with, it can make you feel so utterly ill and detached. I hope you find something that can help you and bring you relief.

Hang in there, it will get better Steven, you just need to discover what helps you and what doesn't.

Sending you my best wishes.

Once again everyone, the fact that we're discussing this does not mean there is any need for alarm. We are just discussing our experiences that's all. So please DO NOT EVER STOP TAKING YOUR MEDICATION without your doctors advice and guidance. This is just a discussion that's all

For anyone that's been on a high dose of Citalopram I've been on the refined version escitalopram (lexapro) for 12 months and its been a god send. If you are struggling in Cipramil get off it and try lexapro.. I know it's alot more expensive over there though?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information