Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling on medication

Re: Struggling on medication

Sadly it is still early days AVM and quite a low dose of fluox.

These drugs can take so long to work and it is really frustrating doing the waiting time.

Keep with it and keep on with the therapy and hopefully the two pronged attack will get you some relief soon.

I really panic that I may need a higher dose as I would say I'm very severe with the anxiety and depression and worry this past month has been a waste of time because the medication is not high enough or the right one for me.

I think I'm going to ring the doctors tomorrow to discuss the medication but if there is hope that the 20mg will work I don't want them to change it/increase the dosage especially because I have read people on here saying how if with dosage changes I will go back to square one.

20mg is the starting dose, they can prescribe up to 60mg

What you have done so far is most definitely a waste of time.

Honestly honey beware of what you read, people who are unhappy are 10 times more likely to post than those who have done increases with no problem.

Most times increases are no problem so don't give up hope yet.

Keep telling yourself that it can take months for meds to take effect. You did not get this way overnight and sadly you won't be cured overnight.

But by all means discuss your meds with your GP and you may be due an increase.

Good luck and hang in there.

Re your therapy is it talking therapy or one which gives you the tools to help deal with problems?

Hi Elen thanks so much for the support even if it makes me feel better for ten mins it means a lot.

It just feels like I'm driving myself crazy and I question everything even things I'v never questioned before, I can't even bare to see, text or speak to my boyfriend and keep asking myself if I even love him and I have never felt like this before.

I just don't know how all this has happened to me from buying a house and moving into it. I feel like this has never happened to anyone else and its unfair :(

I question my therapy I speak to the lady which makes me feel better and she helps me understand things then the minute I leave I start questioning everything thinking how can she help me and what if she's just taking my money and never helped anyone. I don't really know what therapy she is going to use, I have had 3 sessions so far and we have been working on this work sheet which has loads of questions about my personality, the past, worries etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Avm View Post
    I fear that I am on the wrong medication because surely after 28days I should have felt some benefit
    Again, antidepressants can take up to 12 weeks to kick-in and fluoxetine is often slow to get going. Antidepressants are not a quick fix, neither is therapy. You didn't get to this point overnight, and your problems can't be solved that quick either.

I just don't know how all this has happened to me from buying a house and moving into it. I feel like this has never happened to anyone else and its unfair :(
    I was sitting in a pub at lunchtime - 12.05pm, Jan 18, 1987 to be precise, enjoying a small vodka and tonic when without warning I began having the panic attack which propelled me into panic disorder with agoraphobia. I'd only returned to work a couple of days earlier after a 5 week idyllic vacation in the Cook Islands.

Life isn't fair, stuff happens. At least this is treatable. Not all medical problems are.

It's such a horrible illness and I have questions and questions that no-one can answer because there is no answer or it simply cannot be answered by anyone because its in my head.

I feel like I keep punishing myself if I feel better for a few minutes I have to remind myself I'm ill and start worrying and thinking about things again.

I just keep thinking to myself everyone else can move out and be fine why can't I then when I go out and see people I think oh they seem happy or why can't I be like them and start comparing myself to everyone and thinking I can't do things for myself and I'm not good at anything I do.

Thanks everyone

I took fluoxetine awhile ago. It took a full 4 months to kick in and I was at 50MG. it was really slow to work. I gained weight so stopped taking it---BIG mistake, now i'm dealing with extreme panic and anxiousness again. I'm currently taking Zoloft since Fluoxetine always caused me to have insomnia. I hope you still out the medicine and that you feel better.

Hi everyone

Just to say I'm still sticking with the flu but still struggling. I did have a good day yesterday and I have more energy I'm impressed with myself that I have been going work and there are people at work who are on flu so been talking to them which has helped.

Just hoping for better results from the fluoxetine hopefully by week 6 I will see some better results

Had the best day I have had yesterday.

I had therapy in the morning didn't do anything except talk but helped me so the rest of the day I felt ok.

Today I have woke up in a state again with the worries and negative thoughts spiralling out of control.

Really struggling and keep doubting I will never be well again :(

avm, it sounds like today you're having the same kind of day I had on Wednesday. It's a kick in the teeth when you have a good day/s and feel more optimistic and then comes a setback. I got some good advice from NoraB I'd like to share:

Setbacks are part of the recovery process. Just accept it for what it is and say to yourself, 'Ok, I had a bad night but I will continue to do the relaxation techniques and things that were helping me and hopefully I will have a better night. If I sleep well, great! If I don't, that's OK too. It will come.'

As soon as you get better days, DON'T relapse on the stuff you do to feel better. KEEP DOING IT and eventually you will find you are having more better days than not.

I know it's easy to say, but keep going. You will be well again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information