Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bat rabies anxiety

Re: Bat rabies anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Having a headache and fearing it is a brain tumour is more credible than these threads? Do you seriously think any doctor entertains many of the symptoms talked about on here?

You might as well fear being run over by a lorry on the moon.

The problem with this argument of cancer being real in terms of you getting it is that it creates a stigma within the anxiety community. It sends a message that one person's fear is to be taken more seriously than another. But no doctor is going to agree with that and they certainly don't base their assessments of our mental health on it either as can be seen by the distinct lack of them saying otherwise. Only some HAers think otherwise.

Like I said, probably none of my fears could kill or harm me. But to a doctor it won't be classed as less than someone fearing cancer...an imaginary cancer that is, not a real cancer hence just an invisible flying cancer bat.
    No, it is not a stigma; come on. It is common sense. Fearing rabies is riddicilous; I was there and it was riddicilous. Period. I still disagree with you.
    Of course a fear of cancer is to be taken more seriously if you get jaundice; constant light stool, unexplained weight loss than someone who thinks yoiu will die the next day by an amoeba for getting clean tap water up your nose!!!!!!!! Please dont tell me that a doctor is not taking such things seriously even oof it turns out not to be cancer. Of course I take such fear more seriously than brain eating bugs. I dont need to defend myself for saying so. That is how it is. It is not stigma, it is facts!
    I am not going to agree with you on this no matter what you write.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    No, it is not a stigma; come on. It is common sense. Fearing rabies is riddicilous; I was there and it was riddicilous. Period. I still disagree with you.
    Of course a fear of cancer is to be taken more seriously if you get jaundice; constant light stool, unexplained weight loss than someone who thinks yoiu will die the next day by an amoeba for getting clean tap water up your nose!!!!!!!! Please dont tell me that a doctor is not taking such things seriously even oof it turns out not to be cancer. Of course I take such fear more seriously than brain eating bugs. I dont need to defend myself for saying so. That is how it is. It is not stigma, it is facts!
    I am not going to agree with you on this no matter what you write.
    I was replying to Andrash, you decided to engage in this discussion with me so I responded.

I notice you just shifted the goal posts. It is quite telling the distinct lack of threads threads that end with a cancer diagnosis and how many doctors don't even test based on presenting symptoms.

Many threads on here are not reflective of actual cancer symptoms and many of us are responding saying this.

Sadly it does create stigma. You get a group of "I'm more credible" people (thankfully not seen much as most people are open minded about anxiety) who can't seem to see that someone's "lesser credible" fear can create anxiety in them that is more severe.

There is also the matter of the non anxious. They get symptoms like others on here yet why aren't they terrified of cancer? Why do they go to their doctor and come away with tests, some concerns, and get on with their lives? What do you think they say to people worrying about a brain tumour because they woke up with a headache?

That's the thing with HA it often convinces the people that have HA the absolute impossible scenarios like Parinoid Viking said but no one deserves to be ridiculed for thinking like that instead a gentle nudge in the right direction to seek help is the way forward. While I don't have HA (if I ever did get it I would be seeking help straight away what ever it takes ) I understand the mechanics behind it and the cycles that keeps the fire going. ATB

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    How are they real? Not having symptoms of cancer is real?
    You did not get what I wanted to say. I did not mean real as in people who have HA actually have cancer or whatever, I meant real as in there is a fair chance it can happen in life.

On the other hand, naegleriasis or rabies do not happen, or happen so rarely and in such an unique, weird set of circumstances that fearing these is much, much more irrational than fearing "usual" diseases like cancers, heart attacks etc.
    Last edited by Andrash; 13-06-18 at 17:33.

Margaret Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    You did not get what I wanted to say. I did not mean real as in people who have HA actually have cancer or whatever, I meant real as in there is a fair chance it can happen in life.

On the other hand, naegleriasis or rabies do not happen, or happen so rarely and in such an unique, weird set of circumstances that fearing these is much, much more irrational than fearing "usual" diseases like cancers, heart attacks etc.

AMEN TO THAT

I completely agree to every word you say here.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. MNT writes about stigma. I am not looking down on those who fear rabies and BEA. I feel really sorry for them because they are wasting such wonderful time of their life on such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    AMEN TO THAT

I completely agree to every word you say here.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. MNT writes about stigma. I am not looking down on those who fear rabies and BEA. I feel really sorry for them because they are wasting such wonderful time of their life on such nonsense.
    Exactly we only get one shot of life so best make the most of it ATB

Anxiety is Anxiety is Anxiety. As much as it’s easy to occasionally snigger over something you find insignificant, my fear is as relevant at the time as your fear.

So it’s easy for me to say - no it wasn’t a bat bite, stop bothering your doctor & relax a bit. But if the OP sniggered at my anxieties I would be crushed.

So that’s how I think about it. Treat everyone how you’d like to be treated. Occasionally it’s exasperating. And of course occasionally I understand that someone can be exasperated with me too.

I think I’ve lost my point...

It wasn’t a bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here?
    Well... it's only to be used where there is a risk for exposure and it's a series of shots that run in the neighborhood of $3K, and from what I read, they HURT! Due to those reasons, it's not as easy or readily given like a flu shot would be.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Well... it's only to be used where there is a risk for exposure and it's a series of shots that run in the neighborhood of $3K, and from what I read, they HURT! Due to those reasons, it's not as easy or readily given like a flu shot would be.

Positive thoughts
    Yes, those are the reasons they only vaccinate vets, some scientists and regular people with actual proven rabies exposure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information