Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 HTP , mmmmmmmmm

5 HTP , mmmmmmmmm

Got a bottle of 5 htp and have taken 2 days worth, just went out with hubby and kids and felt different, just calmer, dont know if its the pills ?

Also started taking Potassium for heart palpatations and feel my heart isnt beating so horribly, early days yet.

Has anyone else had luck on these ?

Re: 5 HTP , mmmmmmmmm

what is 5 htp Mirry????

Hi Yorky , Apparently 5 HTP raises serotonin in the brain just like Prozac does, but it is a natural product so therefore doesnt cause the horrible side effects you can get with antidepresants.

There have been different studies done on it, and some claim that 5htp is just as good as prozac, if not better .

Mirry, is it a vitamin? I take it you can buy it from any health food store?

Hi..
    Who was it that was taking that Relora?
    I was wondering how that was going if anyone knows...

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

BLUEBELL, I TOOK THE RELORA FOR 2 WEEKS.
    It seemed to calm me down , but then I went onto antibiotics for ear infections so stopped taking it. So now I am giving the 5 htp a try then I will decided if it works or not and will take the relora with it.
    The only problem is its expensive, the 5htp was £15 from holland and barrett.

5HTP is a really interesting one, there has been much scientific debate about it. It comes from a natural plant source (I cant remember the name).

They think it works in a similar way to some of the older 'typical' anti-depressants in that it is a precursor to seretonin which is technically HTP (Hydroxy-Trypto-Phane or something like that). So it should increase levels of seretonin in the brain, which is linked to depression and anxiety.

However, there is some scientific debate about exactly how it does actually work, as 5HTP is supposedly metabolised by the body and cannot cross the blood to brain barrier, but it definitely has an effect in people who take it.

I took it for a while but it really badly upset my stomach and gave me terrible gut ache and diarrhea. So I had to stop taking it. But it did feel similar to taking some of the older style AD's for me. Almost slightly sedative and calming.

Jim

thanks for that Jim, Ive taken my 3rd one today, felt slightly anxious when I took my kids out this morning but didnt panic , just feeling tired at the moment. How long did it take to work with you ?

I can't remember for sure, it was a long time ago and I didn't take it for very long because of the upset stomach. I found the tub and they are 50mg capsules which I was taking up to 2, three times a day.

You will probably feel some effect quite quickly, but as with all AD's that affect the levels of seretonin in your brain you might feel a few side effects (increased anxiety, somnolence, etc) until your body gets used to it and it might take a few weeks before you feel it's full positive benefit.

I seem to remember that it did help my sleep and make me feel slightly drowsy. But also made me feel quite ill. But I am one of these people that feels the tiniest thing and turns it into a massive side effect.

Be especially careful not to mix it with anything like SJW or passionflower as it could interact with that sort of thing. Always check it out with the people in the shop and do some research on it yourself. These sort of things are very similar to prescription AD's when you look into it and how they work.

Good luck with them, let us know how you get on.

Jim

hey, today is the first day in 4 months that I havent woke up dreading the day ahead . But I woke up with a headache .

Will keep it going .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information