View Poll Results: Do you receive DLA for your agoraphobia?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I put in for it but was turned down.

10 33.33%
  • Yes, I receive the care component.

6 20.00%
  • Yes, I receive the mobility component.

4 13.33%
  • Yes, I receive both the care & mobility components.

10 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLA for Agoraphobia

DLA for Agoraphobia

Hi Ev1

I know that DLA has been discussed quite often on this forum, but I would like to do a poll on who gets what (if any) & in what area you live.

I hope you will take the time to reply as I am very curious about how they make their decisions. It's for people with chronic agoraphobia who cannot work.

Thank you in advance.

Els
    xxx

I voted that I get both the care and mobility components but whilst I do have an element of agoraphobia, I have many other psychological and physical problems.

Karen

Re: DLA for Agoraphobia

I get the lower rate of the mobility component. I have tried to get the care component too but was turned down and really didn't feel up to appealing. I am curious as to how they base their decisions on these kinds of things as it seems to me that a lot of people get turned who should be getting it and also I know of people whose situation is the same as mine yet they get the care element.

I would add that if anyone is considering applying, the Citizens Advice Bureau are very helpful and will sit down and fill the form in with you. I sought advice and went from the lowest of care and mobility components to the highest for both.

It is worth seeking help and support.

Karen

Thank you to the 13 people who replied to my poll. I can't really do much with the information as I don't know which part of the UK you come from.

Hi Karen - I actually had someone from the cba come around & fill the form in for me, but I still was turned down. I thought that I would get somewhere if I appealed because they are actual drs look at the circumstances when you appeal, but I didn't make any difference. I didn't answer the poll myself, lol, but it would have been a 'no'.

Thanks again, I guess if only 13 people answered then a lot more people work than I actually thought, or maybe some people haven't seen it yet, so I will leave it up for a while longer.

Sorry if I'm jabbering on & my typing's poo, I'm having a panic attack at the moment I'm telling myself that it won't hurt me, trying to shrug my shoulders & say "ok come & do your very worst", it's very hard tho

Thanks again.

Els
    xxx

Sorry your application and appeal was turned down. I don't know how they judge awards but I found the CAB very helpful - mind you I do have multiple problems.

Hugs for the rough time you are having with panic attacks

Karen xx

I get both care and mobility componants, however I do have other problems as well as agoraphobia - I'm in the North East area

i have agoraphobia and social phobia and the first time i was turned down cos they said i was aware of where i was when i was out, which is just silly as i cant go out on my own in the first place! i tried again and said i didnt know where i was when i was out when i have a panic attack.
    i was given both dla .
    i got the care one cos i cant cook a meal on my own as i dont trust my self to cook it properly.
    when you fill out the form make sure you put your worse days, dont say might, if, or sometimes, say WHEN.

hi
    i have agoraphobia i cant get incapacity benefit as ive not paid enough stamp as i have only worked partt time since having the children, i applied for dla as i am scared to be on my own in the house too, but all i got is low rate mobility, the questions are so hard to answer and te contradict each other, it makes me cross that some people can get it and some cant, i know it sounds terrible but if the doctor said to me i can cut your arm off and it will make you better, i would gladly take the option. i cant get the high rate mobility cos i can walk??? but i cant walk outside???
    i live in east anglia.

Hi maybeoneday,
    I applied many years ago and got knocked back because I could walk and yet a bloke who lived by me got it and he could walk and go to the pub every night to boast about it...he had agoraphobia that seemed to disappear at opening hours!!! I would not apply again as I found the whole matter awful, I was visited by a doctor who made me strip down to my underwear and he gave me a thorough examination. He had me touching my toes and then made me go out for a walk with him even though I said I couldnt so after a lot of bullying I went round the corner only to be told if I could get round the corner I could go out! It was a nightmare. The whole system needs over hauling, there are many people on this site who need the help and are not getting it and there are many people in this world who dont need the help but abuse the system arrrrrr it makes me mad.
    Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information