Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: turned down for dla :(

Re: turned down for dla :(

You might not be able to claim DLA but there are other sickness benefits you can claim if you're not well enough to work. I don't know what it's called but there is a new benefit where they assess your ability to work and they offer to train you etc. I'm sure someone on here will know what it's called and can help you.

well the thing is ive always had the same thing had about 4 jobs since the age of 16 im 31 now and still have a job its the same pattern over and over start a job do ok for a while anxiety rears its ugly head take time off end up with the sack or ill health retirement.i cant cope going to work when i feel so ill with it but im a proud person and have always worked and would love to but like i said i can barely go out the door never mind go to work

Quote Originally Posted by macc noodle View Post
    Apparently, the success rate for appeal is low - usually improved if you appear or have an advocate appeal on your behalf.

They are trying to restrict the eligibility for these benefits in the current climate and I think that unfortunately far too many people who are not ill are using the system to their benefit by claiming mental health problems that they do not have - this means that those who genuinely need it are now being refused also.

For me personally, working was a good way to help me overcome my problems although I know it does not work for all.

Good luck
    if i had no mental health problems i sure as hell would not claim for anything knowing what i know now about anxiety id just be very thankful that i didnt suffer from it

You can appeal but they will make you wait at least 6 months in which time you get no money - that's what they are doing to me anyway.

As a few people have already said, it's actually very difficult to get DLA. In my line of work as a union rep, the only people I've come across who get it tend to be those who have severe mobility problems. I've just repped for a guy with severe heart and lung problems (and who is waiting for surgery at the moment) and they even turned him down for it.

I know quite a number of people with agoraphobia who get the lower mobility rate of DLA for the reason that help is needed to go out etc. To get the care element you have to be so bad that you can't even cook a simple meal I think.

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
    As a few people have already said, it's actually very difficult to get DLA. In my line of work as a union rep, the only people I've come across who get it tend to be those who have severe mobility problems. I've just repped for a guy with severe heart and lung problems (and who is waiting for surgery at the moment) and they even turned him down for it.
    very sad isnt it blue

still never mind i do hope that mental health problems should be made more aware than just the same old pull yourself together attitude

I do know 3 people getting it for anxiety. Each of them are on meds, which seems to help. I wont take meds - and I got turned down. It seems, if you're not on meds the doctor doesnt have much to tell them.

^^ update, two of the people I mentioned have now had their claims stopped - although they are genuine. I think the government are tightening belts....and I hope suicides are not the result. I did apply and was turned down, I appealed and was turned down. Fair enough I thought, what can I do. But yesterday I received a form from HM Courts saying its going to appeal! So Lord knows. But my doctor (I have never seen this doctor in person as shes never available) told the dla I didn't need the benefit...shes never even seen me!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information