Thread: Severe jaw spasms and earache tmj? Teeth clenching

Severe jaw spasms and earache tmj? Teeth clenching

Hi there
    I seem to be clenching my teeth all the time I am on 150mg been on it 9 months was really anxious about going on it but it has helped very little side effects apart from the sexual side effects but my jaw and ears are really sore isn't to the doctor and told me that was one of the side effects something called TMJ and I could take diazepam or think about coming off it not keen to come off it it is working. But this teeth clenching is a real problem any1 else have this

Re: Severe jaw spasms and earache tmj? Teeth clenching

Quote Originally Posted by gordie1 View Post
    I am on 150mg been on it 9 months was really anxious about going on it but it has helped very little side effects apart from the sexual side effects but my jaw and ears are really sore isn't to the doctor and told me that was one of the side effects something called TMJ and I could take diazepam or think about coming off it not keen to come off it it is working. But this teeth clenching is a real problem any1 else have this
    Teeth clenching is a known, though uncommon, side-effect of many antidepressants. Instead of taking diazepam, you could try supplementing sertraline with a small dose of Buspar (buspirone). This is a GAD specific med which doesn't actually work for most, but when taken with serotonergic antidepressants can both boost their effectiveness and reduce some of their side-effects.

The usual dose for SSRI induced sexual dysfunction is 30mg/day taken in 3 divided doses (Buspar has a very short half-life) so that would be a good starting point though I suggest you ease onto the med by initially taking 3 x 5mg/day for a few days if your doctor agrees.

If it works you should begin to notice an easing of the clenching within a week. If it doesn't then most have relatively few problems switching from one SSRI to another overnight.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 26-01-17 at 22:19. Reason: gramma

Thread Information