Thread: Worried about high blood pressure. Advice please.

Worried about high blood pressure. Advice please.

For the past 2 years, whenever I go to a dentist or doctor my blood pressure is high. I went yesterday and my reading was 140/80. I'm 20. I'm 5 ft8in and weigh 130-135 pounds on average. I have really bad anxiety and stress levels. Whenever I get my pressure taken, I tense up and can't get myself to relax. I even tried a CVS one and still felt myself tensing up, because I am so nervous about my blood pressure. All the doctors said its a little high, just keep an eye on it. But they didn't seem that concerned. But Im really concerned. I don't know if i actually have high pressure or if its my stress/anxiety causing it. I am generally pretty active at school. I walk everywhere I go instead of taking buses and try to work out a couple times a week. I don't eat too terrible. Not a lot of salt, but I drink a lot of coffee. Need it to get through the day. I have body image issues and always see myself as fat and have trouble eating so this doesn't help me at all. Even though people say I'm not fat. Need help/ advice please. I also made an appointment to discuss it with my doctor, but its not till Friday and I need to calm down.

Re: Worried about high blood pressure. Advice please.

That reading is still normal, just high normal.
    I think your stress around the taking of the bp is making it higher than it is. It's called White Coat Syndrome.
    Good idea to chat w your doctor. Maybe get a lipid test to use as a factor in your overall heart health, and get some advice on how to being the reading more into a comfortable range. It may be that 140/80 is YOUR normal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

White coat hypertension, more commonly known as*white coat syndrome, is a phenomenon in which patients exhibit a blood pressure level above the normal range, in a clinical setting, though they don't exhibit it in other settings."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's a little high, but only by a tiny amount. If your super anxious at the doctor or dentist it's a pretty good pressure. Honestly nothing to worry about.

Sending you a virtual HUG!

For the past few years I have the same issue with you. Mine will go up to 160/100. I ended up going into ER. But my BBp won't go down, because of the tension that I feel whenever I see or whenever they get my blood pressure. Yes, I developed phobia over taking a BP, go anything that could make my blood pressure high. Year 2015, I went for a check up and the nurse measure my BO and it went normal, but my palpitations is quite fast that the Dr, requested an ECG, but it went normal. He said I was suffering from anxiety, prescribed meds for a week and I stopped after. Sometimes, I tensed up. But it's really in the mind. I haven't checked my BP lately. My anxiety and depression wouldn't go away. I am experiencing it now. Praying there's still hope to cope up from this. :(

I NEVER allow the Dr to take my BP because I know its going to be very high. I take it at home (I have 2 machines) and its always normal. Keep in mind it fluctuates throughout the day as well. Mine has gone from 170/100 to 110/60 in 15 minutes
    you might also check your diet ... I know Im sensitive to sodium and cutting back salt really does help and so does exercise... and coffe is well known to raise BP so try and limit that

Hi Moso13,

You're not alone my friend. It's very common to be anxious about blood pressure! White-coat hypertension affects more of use than you may think. An important thing to remember about blood pressure is that it is a very dynamic, fluctuating greatly over the course of a day. The doctors aren't concerned because there's no need to be concerned. As you can see from the other posts, it's very easy for your blood pressure to spike when you're anxious. Personally mine has been as high as 190/110, whereas at a baseline it's a textbook 120/80 when the anxiety calms down. So take solace in the fact that yours has only hit 140/80 haha

If I can give any advice, I'd say try to cut out the caffeine. It really does aggravate anxiety and kicks up your blood pressure. Keep it up with the exercise!

On a side note, you're young and are at a healthy weight for your height; if you feel that you have body image issues, certainly discuss this with your doctor. Good attitudes towards food are very important for a healthy lifestyle!

I have the same worries and fears. I've been to the ER with a BP of 160/100, turns out it was a very long panic attack, they kept me overnight to run tests on my heart just in case. I still tense up about getting my BP taken. I hate the pressure from the cuff, the sounds, the long seconds that feel like minutes for the numbers to come up, ugh, it's all a nightmare. Stress and anxiety are going to make it worse for sure. In my opinion, GOOD doctors who are aware of white coat syndrome don't even put their patients on medication until they have bad home readings (meaning, even outside the doctor you're still high, and this is constant). My mom's GP made sure this wasn't the case before putting her on medication. I think communication with your doctor is key. My doctor knows I have a GAD and Panic Disorder so she always takes it AFTER we've had our talks and I settle down more.
    P.S. You’re not going to die. Here’s the white-hot truth: if you go bankrupt, you’ll still be okay. If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you’ll still be okay. If you sing off-key, get beat by the competition, have your heart shattered, get fired…it’s not going to kill you. Ask anyone who’s been through it.” ~Danielle LaPorte

CardioPhobin' since 2011.

always a good idea to have a home BP machine because thats when you get realistic readings when you're calm and relaxed. Also, coffee can be a culprit so cut out caffiene or reduce to 1 a day

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Anxiety View Post
    I have the same worries and fears. I've been to the ER with a BP of 160/100, turns out it was a very long panic attack, they kept me overnight to run tests on my heart just in case. I still tense up about getting my BP taken. I hate the pressure from the cuff, the sounds, the long seconds that feel like minutes for the numbers to come up, ugh, it's all a nightmare. Stress and anxiety are going to make it worse for sure. In my opinion, GOOD doctors who are aware of white coat syndrome don't even put their patients on medication until they have bad home readings (meaning, even outside the doctor you're still high, and this is constant). My mom's GP made sure this wasn't the case before putting her on medication. I think communication with your doctor is key. My doctor knows I have a GAD and Panic Disorder so she always takes it AFTER we've had our talks and I settle down more.
    Thank you for the calming responses everyone. I went to the appointment today and my reading was124/86, which she said sounds normal and doesn't consider that high. She said it's probably anxiety and to get help with that. She said not to worry about it but to carry on a healthy lifestyle. Limit caffeine and salty foods, and excercise a good amount. She also gave me lists of salt foods to avoid for a low salt diet, but she didn't say I had to follow it. Just don't eat a lot of salts, eat less processed more natural foods. So I'm going to work on that.

Hi all, many great answers here.

I want to share mine, as now I'm finally able to stabilize my blood pressure, and I hope it will last throughout my life, as I do hope with yours.

I know about the anxiety factor as I am also the one who had it. My highest BP was 160/80 (if I remember correctly). But I learned a lot from the internet, that you need a lot of potassium to keep the balance, as well as to calm your anxiety. One of the best sources is salad i.e. the green vegetables (lettuce, etc.). I try my best to eat lots of them daily and cut out processed / fast / fried food, and it worked. Now, each time I had my BP taken, including in my visit to the dentist or any doctors (which I had many fear and discomfort going there before because of this) it would always be at normal range (120/80 more or less)

I hope this can help you.

Thread Information