Thread: High platelets twice in a 6 month period. Also low iron.

High platelets twice in a 6 month period. Also low iron.

I had labs done last week as a follow up from January. My iron is pretty low so my Dr is starting me on supplements. My concern is, my platelets were 454,000 in January and 477,000 this time. My Dr wanted to refer me to a hematologist but she sensed my anxiety and agreed to check again in 3 months. I asked her if the iron could be the cause and she said no but I read in several places in google that it definitely can. She mentioned blood clotting and I read lymphoma and other C's can be a cause. Then with her suggesting a hematologist. Ugh! Here I went into this appointment with no worries. Anyone dealt with this? :(

ETA: I had a low B12 in October and I did injections and took supplements. It's back in range but still taking the supplements daily.

Re: High platelets twice in a 6 month period. Also low iron.

I have a family member who's platelets are way, way higher then yours, like crazy high levels. She's gotten like unwell like once over it but she's just fine! She had the condition for years (the doctors here don't really put a name on it). She only got unwell as well at times of high stress and wasn't looking after herself right and years after they found out the issue. When she takes care of herself she just find and lives life perfectly. She's also a lot older then you when it happened.

So just take care of yourself. Try to stay calm- easier said then done I know.

I had high platelets and was sent to a hematologist. It was discovered after random bruising. Imagine googling that one. I saw a hematologist, by doctor recommendation. My platelet size is smalle r than the normal size so my body knows to make more. Ieasasotested for the JAK2 gene, all clear. Officially diagnosis is thrombocytosis. Haven’t had issues since, randomly my platelets might reach closer to 500 but then they come down again a few months later. Don’t panic Leslie!

Quote Originally Posted by Halle0587 View Post
    I had high platelets and was sent to a hematologist. It was discovered after random bruising. Imagine googling that one. I saw a hematologist, by doctor recommendation. My platelet size is smalle r than the normal size so my body knows to make more. Ieasasotested for the JAK2 gene, all clear. Officially diagnosis is thrombocytosis. Haven’t had issues since, randomly my platelets might reach closer to 500 but then they come down again a few months later. Don’t panic Leslie!
    Thank you for your kind words. How did the Dr figure out all that? Was it more blood work?

Hello! Has anyone had elevated blood platelets on their CBC? I had yearly lab work last October and they were in normal range at 370,000 then I had more labs in January for a separate issue and they were 453,000, Dr wasn't concerned but repeated labs in June, they were 477,000. She wanted to send me to a hematologist but I freaked out and she agreed to check again in 3 months. I go on the 31st to have them checked. I'm such s mess over it because of what it can mean. Dr completely scared and alarmed me.

I am iron deficient, not anemic, but she said only anemia affects them not just deficiency. I've had them higher before on a cbc in 2012 (412,000) and another in 2015 (426,000), all my others they've been in range. Can anyone relate? My mind is going to dark places after a really good stretch of doing well. :(

Anyone?

I've had slightly out of range platelets on and off since 2012. At one point a GP was going to send me to a hematologist, but by the next test they were back in range. My theory is that it either has to do with my vitamin D levels, which are really low, or with my period. I was also slightly iron deficient awhile back, so maybe that's it? If you're feeling ok otherwise, I would think that's a good sign. Try not to worry & just get it checked. It's probably benign & the sooner you get an answer, the sooner you can move on. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ta333 View Post
    I've had slightly out of range platelets on and off since 2012. At one point a GP was going to send me to a hematologist, but by the next test they were back in range. My theory is that it either has to do with my vitamin D levels, which are really low, or with my period. I was also slightly iron deficient awhile back, so maybe that's it? If you're feeling ok otherwise, I would think that's a good sign. Try not to worry & just get it checked. It's probably benign & the sooner you get an answer, the sooner you can move on. Good luck!
    Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your reply. When you were iron deficient were you just deficient or anemic?

Just wanted to update in case anyone else was going through this. I had lab work done yesterday, got my results today, and my platelets are back in range! They are on the high side of the range but in range so I'll take it! Some of my other counts are still low but I'm working on that by taking iron supplements still. I go back next month for another blood check.

I'm so sorry for the late reply. I was just a little deficient as far as I know. So glad your results are normal now!
    Last edited by ta333; 08-11-18 at 04:08.

Thread Information