Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time post, think i'm suffering from Anxiety

First time post, think i'm suffering from Anxiety

My story, I have always been a "pull your socks up" type of guy. I have never felt like this and i am really down and scared. It all started about 1 month ago , out for a run which I enjoy at least once per week. As I was half way round my route I suddenly started to panic, sweaty hands, feeling out of control, and generally unwell. I thought I was suffering some sort of heart failure. I called for an ambulance and was taken to hospital. I had an ECG done and numerous blood tests which were all negative. Since this moment I have put my life on hold. After another 2 visits to A and E and 3 visits to my GP I am still unable to accept that there is nothing wrong with me. I shake quite a lot and have pains in my cheast and arm which I have been told are referred. At no point on my run or at home shaking have i ever passed out like i feel i am going to do.

After considering a strategy of recovery I decided to search the web for a solution to my panic. I have looked at CBT treatment and herbal methods.

I feel like life has stopped, I keep on telling myself that I am alive and well but I cannot stop these feelings. I have became totally selfish, engulfed in my own existance. I keep telling myself to take a step back from my worrie but I find I worrie about worring(If that makes sence). Any responce to similar feelings and different treatments would be a great help

Regards

Re: First time post, think i'm suffering from Anxiety

Hi there, welcome to the forums.
    It's all very new and scary to you, with just 1 month of experience of it, but many people do successfully find their way out of it, let me assure you of that - it can be done... so don't give up hope! Have a good look around this site and you'll find a lot of helpful stuff.
    take care

First of all Welcome, there are great people in here that help immensely! But I am sorry that you find yourself needing to be here.
    Anxiety is evil. Plain and simple. It happens when not expected, can happen for no reason to absolutely anyone without an explanation.
    CBT is a good way to start for sure. Has your docotr mentioned any meds to help the anxiety or are you trying to avoid them?
    I have been fighting with this for 15 years now and I have good days and bad days. I had a really bad night last night for example so now its affecting my day.
    It can get in the way of your relationships and so much more so the sooner you find thinks that work for you the better.
    I use relaxation CD's, go on the treadmill, take ativan if it gets to be too much and take Paxil on a regular basis. I also see a therapist. All of that helps in its own way but the panic still happens. All I can do is hit each day with a good attitude and hope that things will be ok.
    I am sure others on here will have lots of advice for you as well!!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

I have not discussed prescribed drug treatments with my GP, I would not want to initially go down that route. I would love to get on a treadmill but that seems to be what I am scared of. Any form of physical exercise that causes my heart to beat fast makes me feel unwell, out of control and how I did on my run. I feel like this event has triggered the knock on effect. yesterday I decided to pick up some shopping and on the way back I could feel all the same feelings of dread , anxiety, morbid thoughts that felt so real. I feel like I am constantly wanting to go back to the GP for nothing other than reassurance.

Hi,

CBT could be the way forward for you as it helps you to change your way of thinking, speak to your doctor about if they have CBT courses in your area

Trac xx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

I hear you. I have seen my doctor 15 times in 3 months and I think he is getting frustrated with me. But sometimes I need the reassurance in order to get along in a day.
    Does all exercise cause you to feel like this? What about something more low key? Yoga or Martial arts of some sort??

It is definately something to consider, thanks. I have the same feeling about visiting my GP, up until this point in life I could count the number of times I have been to my GP on one hand. Now I feel I am always thinking or contemplating calling just to see if they have made an error or something. Its a strange one to digest as I never used to think twice about playing sport of running. Now I feel like there is a massive weight on my shoulders. I keep telling myself you are still here writing this but It does not help.

I know that feeling. After the night I had I should just realize that I got through it and am still here and forget about it but I cant. I still worry about what happened, why it happened etc

Hiya,

My first panick attack happened when i was 19 on the way to a resturant, came totally out of nowhere, i had visited this place many times and told my partner at the time to take me to hospital. I calmed down and got over it but went to gp who said panick attack.

I was ok until nov 2007 when i had sudden attack of racing heart and feelings of agitation irritability and didnt know what to do with myself. My ecg's and blood tests also all normal...i now suffer with anxiety and panick attacks. I worry alot about how much i worry...what you said completely makes sense! What i hate is that i have managed to control it with self talk and have been getting on with my life, then last night i suffered the same again...now im anxious that its going to happen again. Just trying to tell myself im still here, im ok but its a horrid feeling. My doc gave me propranolol a half beta blocker to take at my very worst which help me alot.

Cassi xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information