Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting CBT next week - any words of wisdom?

hi munchkin,
    good luck with the session.
    i tried out two different therapists. i was so nervous for the first one that i took my mum with me and got a cab (i was agoraphobic at the time) which was a nightmare in itself. then, i got to the session and realised i hadn't taken my house keys with me. the session was a total disaster and i had to sit in a cafe with my mum for about two hours afterwards, waiting for my boyfriend to courier over his set of keys.
    my point is that i dealt with what was a total nightmare at the time, because i had to. it made me realise that we are capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for. and the next therapist i saw was an absolute godsend.
    cbt is not for everyone. i personally loved it, but it was a lot of hard work. good luck with it.
    henri x

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine, Like you I was very worried when I had my first session. Once you get there you will be fine. Try not to worry.

Take care.x

Lin,
    xxx

Thank you again for the support you guys. It means a lot.
    henri, I understand what you mean, I always find the thought of doing something worse than actually doing it. And I always cope somehow...

sha_z...sorry to hear about your daughters experiance...yes you can get CBT on the NHS but waiting lists are usually pretty long (the one is my area is 2 years, thats why i'm going private). You GP can refer you privatly but the clinic my GP looked into were charging £150 per session (not kidding either!). So i've found my own psychologist charging £60 a session, still expensive but not as bad.

Hi Munchkin,

I have been to see the CBT today, i am really pleased with my progress, i couldnt go shopping before i went to see him, i have found it really good, there is alot of hard work to do but its worth it in the end, my theropist as tape recorded every session, which i thought was a excellent idea, as when i feel i am i unable to cope i can listen to the tapes at home which always makes me feel better, and its a great idea so you can go back on things you may have forgot.

I wish you luck and hope it works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information