Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinkish mucus in stool

Pinkish mucus in stool

Update: Just following up as I now have the additional pleasure of night sweats. I have had these bouts of nighttime hot flashes before, but never for so many nights in succession. And, since they are coinciding with the changes in my stool, I am thinking the worst. Any reassurance (if you've experienced anything similar) would be much appreciated!

Hello! I am new to this forum, but am seeking some support as I wait for a colonoscopy on August 22. I am a 49 year old woman in very good health with stellar bloodwork done a few months ago (CBC, A1C, etc. all in perfect range). I suffer from self-diagnosed, but obvious, health anxiety and am spiraling downward with my current symptoms.

I have hemorrhoids that flare up and protrude periodically without much blood. I used to be very regular with my bowel movements, but developed some constipation (in the form of hard, pebbly poop) in the past 2 years. I have been worried about this change in bowel habits, but only really started taking notice when I saw mucus in my stool a few months ago. The mucus appeared as small pink gobs in, and on, my stool. After panicking, I thought maybe it was undigested blueberries. But my doctor thought I should get a colonoscopy just in case.

Well, the pink mucus promptly disappeared until a week ago. I suddenly had a relatively large amount of stringy white mucus on one bowel movement, followed by the pink gobs on each subsequent bm in the past 3 days. I'm a mess. It is berry season, and I have been indulging in blackberries and blueberries daily. Has anyone else experienced this type of mucus in their stool? Any shared stories and encouragement would be much appreciated!!!
    Last edited by anxiousmama1; 19-08-19 at 05:22.

Re: Pinkish mucus in stool

My doctor says that the mucus is just the body’s way of helping things move along when we’re a little backed up, I had it continually for months. Disappeared when I took a stool softener to help myself out a little.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

"Pinkish" with constipation indicates a fresh bleed which is very common with small pebbly stools, as they can be rough on your colorectal walls and cause small amounts of bleeding. Also, mucus is absolutely normal- for me it increases and I see it more when I'm worrying and then I see less of it when I'm not worrying about my bowels.

In other words, it's likely not gonna be caused by cancer but good luck with the colonoscopy

Thank you for your input. The positive vibes help a lot

Thank you for this encouraging, informative reply. I will try to keep this in mind as I wend my way through the stressful wait until my colonoscopy.

Just wondering why, if mucus is such a helpful, positive aspect of bm's, it is listed as one of the top warning signals for colorectal cancers. Also wondering why I continue to read about health stuff on Google:/

Quote Originally Posted by anxiousmama1 View Post
    Thank you for this encouraging, informative reply. I will try to keep this in mind as I wend my way through the stressful wait until my colonoscopy.
    I don't know a lot about it since I'm a young male but could the constipation have something to do with the menopause- if you've started it?

Read this:

"Constipation becomes increasingly common around menopause."

https://www.healthywomen.org/content...-are-you-no-go

Definitely could be related. Also could be related to the stress of 2 successive moves!

Quote Originally Posted by anxiousmama1 View Post
    Definitely could be related. Also could be related to the stress of 2 successive moves!
    Hiya.

I just wanted to pop in and say a few words. I was having a really stressful time at work and thought I could see pinkish mucus too. In fact I became quite obsessive about it, to the extent I convinced myself it was something awful. It looked pink like it was bowel lining or something is the best way I can describe it, at the same time my poo was very yellowy brown with undigested food suggesting my transit time was rapid due to stress or maybe even some kind of virus, this has now returned to normal. I later had what I thought was blood in a bowel movement and went to GP. GP did fast track referral and had a sigmoidoscopy and consultant couldn't see anything, he referred for colonoscopy to be sure which I had yesterday, they found nothing, no piles or haemorrhoids, no polyps or worse. My consultant wasn't overly concerned about the mucus and said if it was bowel cancer there would be a lot of blood which gets worse or black tar stools. Don't underestimate the impact what you eat can have on stool colour as well. Red/purple berries are full of colour which can leach out of your poo, carrots and tomatoes too. I would say no harm in seeing doctor to rule anything out but my money is on the stress = mucus (I get it when I'm stressed) and food maybe colouring mucus. I'm not a doctor (although very good at diagnosing myself with all kinds of horrid things on Google) but the last month for me has been hell worrying about my bowels but I think that's half the problem with us HAs... My mum made a good point that I only noticed the mucus because I was obsessing about looking in the loo, any regular person would wipe and flush... How does a regular person become concerned about bowel cancer? Because there is a noticeable large amount of blood in toilet or in poo. Sorry I'm rambling as still kinda under influence of sedative but wanted you just to try to relax, try not to focus on what's in the pan too much, it'll only make things worse like it did with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information