Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

Re: Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

I think doctors can forget how what they say affects patients. So many of them are just really into what they do and get genuinely excited to see something unique. I would bet that's why he mentioned that. It doesn't have to be something bad just because it's rare!

I have all of my wisdom teeth in my mouth and one of them is only like this little mini half tooth. My dentist recently sent me for a evaluation with an oral surgeon to see if I needed a root canal on one of my teeth and the guy was so into my tiny tooth, haha. He kept bringing people in to look at the x-ray and they were all, "WHAT IS THAT?!" I try to take it as a sign I have a good doctor/dentist/etc... who really has passion for his work!

Today was supposed to be the day. I have been waiting 5 weeks just for this consultation. They called this morning to cancel due to an emergency at the hospital and told me the absolute soonest they have for me is April 4th😕 Another 5 weeks to sit with this and wait.

Then that should put you at ease. There is absolutely ZERO chance they would put you off over another month if anyone thought this was serious. When I got a diagnosis that was serious, I was referred to a cardiothoracic surgeon that moment, the scheduler came in immediately. They then cleared an appt for me at the surgeon's office so I could be seen four days later. If they have now put you off over two months, there should be little to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    Then that should put you at ease. There is absolutely ZERO chance they would put you off over another month if anyone thought this was serious. When I got a diagnosis that was serious, I was referred to a cardiothoracic surgeon that moment, the scheduler came in immediately. They then cleared an appt for me at the surgeon's office so I could be seen four days later. If they have now put you off over two months, there should be little to worry about.
    I have the referral letter and X-ray for the initial consultation. He has no idea what is being postponed😕 The oral surgeon hasn’t seen anything yet. I’ve been having pain in that area now and I’m trying to convince myself it is nothing, but it’s bringing the worry back. I had pushed my anxiety aside and was ready to deal with this and hear what the oral surgeon had to say. The new 5 week wait has ignited the anxiety all over again.
    Last edited by Snowgirl82; 27-02-19 at 22:39. Reason: Typo and wanted to add more information

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl82 View Post
    Today was supposed to be the day. I have been waiting 5 weeks just for this consultation. They called this morning to cancel due to an emergency at the hospital and told me the absolute soonest they have for me is April 4th😕 Another 5 weeks to sit with this and wait.
    No reason for you to have to wait that long and drive yourself crazy, ask to be put on a cancellation list or call another oral surgeon.

I agree with NancyW. I would call around to other oral surgeons to find an appointment. I was having a ton of paid a few months back and thought I would finally need a root canal on a tooth I got a crown on a few years ago (turns out the tooth pain was from a perfect storm of a sinus infection and TMJ, so no root canal!). My dentist recommended an oral surgeon, but they didn't have an appointment for a week, so I looked online and found one with good reviews even closer to my house and they got me in 2 days later. I'm sure you can find someone with an earlier appointment and then just call your dentist and have them send the referral there if you need one for your insurance.

Back with an update. The oral surgeon had to go deep into the jawbone to remove 2 fragments of tooth left behind from the previous surgical removal as well as the tissue that was expanding around it. It was extremely painful the first day but my stitches have fallen out and swelling is down again now. I was nervous because he insisted I have an antibiotic despite my history of antibiotic induced cdiff. He told me an IV antibiotic would not cause a recurrence and surely one dose would be safe. I am doing well so far and doubled up on probiotics, but even my primary dr said he was wrong in what he told me and had me do. She said we can’t undo it now, so fingers crossed I don’t get it again. Last time I was 4 months out when it happened. I am also going back on Tuesday for a recheck and to review the pathology. Any time they remove tissue they have to send it out. Hoping all is fine.

Thanks for the update. Glad everything went well (I knew it world )

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you so much for the update, so many threads come to a dead stop and we have no idea of the outcome.

What a miserable thing for you to have to go through! I am sorry that you had to go through that. It does make sense that tooth fragments caused the issue... and yep, got to send it out. I'm sure it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Thanks for the update. Glad everything went well (I knew it world )

Positive thoughts

Found out at my checkup that pathology came back as a super rare tumor. CEOT (calcifying epithelial Odontogenic tumor. Only 200 documented cases. Not sure if he got it all so he will be monitoring with scans every 4 months to see if he needs to go back in. It’s a benign but invasive tumor and the fact that not many have been documented makes this nerve wracking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information