Thread: Panic Attack and Chronic Illness

Panic Attack and Chronic Illness

Last night i had the biggest panic attack in 20 years. I normally have things under control but last night i convinced myself i was having a heart attack. I get chest pain from indigestion and pins and needles from poor circulation so it is easy to put these symptoms together and end up panicking. I have crohn's disease and a heart rhythm disorder with a pacemaker so am always on edge about health. It's being made so much worse at the moment by being in isolation and worrying about needing to go to hospital.

Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with this? I am so on edge today and feel like another attack is brewing...

Thank you so much xxx

Re: Panic Attack and Chronic Illness

Hi Genie, sorry to hear you had this experience. There's plenty of advice on this forum on how to deal with a panic attack.
    What worked for me was:
    1. Allow it happen, acknowledge and accept how you feel and welcome the panic attack.
    2. Count! Count to three (a bit longer: 123, 124, 125) when you breathe in and breathe out.

Focus your attention to something else.
    Learning to calm yourself could be a lot of help too.

I am sorry to hear about that, you must be having a hard time dealing that. I suggest to start doing some breathing exercises to relax yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Last night i had the biggest panic attack in 20 years. I normally have things under control but last night i convinced myself i was having a heart attack. I get chest pain from indigestion and pins and needles from poor circulation so it is easy to put these symptoms together and end up panicking. I have crohn's disease and a heart rhythm disorder with a pacemaker so am always on edge about health. It's being made so much worse at the moment by being in isolation and worrying about needing to go to hospital.

Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with this? I am so on edge today and feel like another attack is brewing...

Thank you so much xxx
    Hi Genie

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time.. when i was up to high DOH! I went searching for answers relaxation, meditation, etc and eventually it worked but on the way i racked up a lot of vids so I've passed them on to you and others..

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sbXz613Lt2oITZ

Hope they bring you the Calm i got from them..

Best wishes Genie..

Petesy x

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our mind" Bob Barley.

Oh one more thing, if my friend helps you out listen.. this person is a life saver and has been here for years and the name is Carnation..

Keep your eyes peeled..

Much love to you all ❤️

All the best!

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our mind" Bob Barley.

Thread Information