Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My CBT!

My CBT!

HI folks some of you will know I have been waiting since March for CBT I started last week and asked if they were trained in CBT they said no infact they are a office CPN they don't even visit homes so now wondering if I should look else where for proper CBT any ideas TIA ATB

Re: My CBT!

Oh geeze, how does that happen? That's so frustrating! I would consider giving it a chance anyway to see if whatever therapy they do is helpful. Maybe in the meantime try CBT4Panic here on NMP if you haven't already? Is there somebody you could contact to discuss this - perhaps whoever handled the referral?

Tell me about it after that long wait too. It was the well being service and a self referral. I have explained my situation to the therapist and what I need to continue my recovery. one thing is my cluttered home it's getting me down and there seems to be very little pratical and emotional support in my area for this sort of OCD condition it's estimated around 2 million hoarders are in the UK alone I can have a look at the CBT4Panic but if it's a online or telephone service it's not going to help me Thanks ATB

Ah, ok. Yes, CBT4Panic is online and I'm not sure how it would apply to hoarding. The creator of it, Robin Hall, does post on here so it may be worth asking him.

There isn't a lot of help for hoarding here in the USA either. I have always thought there needed to be more home-visit programs where therapists come out and help you work through it in person in your own environment. The few that do exist over here are very expensive.

I hope you are able to get the right help!

What a mess, BigBoy. I can't say I'm surprised though but you must be really angry and frustrated. I don't know what help there is for hoarding on the NHS but no doubt you will find whatever is available in your area because I can't see you giving up on this.

The wellbeing services are unlikely to visit, that's more for the community teams.

What level service are you getting? If Level 2, it's not a requirement for them to be CBT trained because they offer lesser services. Level 3 is actual CBT but part of the accepted training process from the highest regarded association in the UK states they must have so many hours gained in therapy time with patients to qualify so every therapist at some point is a trainee under supervision.

Hi Terry
    You seem quite knowledgeable
    , I’ve read a few of your replies.

I’m currently on cbt stage 3 waiting list, 10/12 mths so we’ll into next year!!!!
    I’m getting call, from in my area it’s called Healthy Minds. First point entry
    God knows why, as when I told her last week how bad I was she just said I’ll put you on the list. What do you want counselling or cbt, you can only have one! Cbt. 10/12 mths
    So I can’t get any other help sooner with anything apart from if I’m suicidal then go to A&E

So you saying stage 3 is a proper cbt therapist? Do you know how many hours a trained one as to have done to qualify? Only asking as the last nhs cbt therapy I had was crap

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The wellbeing services are unlikely to visit, that's more for the community teams.

What level service are you getting? If Level 2, it's not a requirement for them to be CBT trained because they offer lesser services. Level 3 is actual CBT but part of the accepted training process from the highest regarded association in the UK states they must have so many hours gained in therapy time with patients to qualify so every therapist at some point is a trainee under supervision.
    Terry respectfully I knew that but was more concerned about the qualifications required I see the therapist next week and will ask what level of CBT are they doing? I have asked for a CPN to help with my clutter too Is level 3 more intense in the way it's delivered to the patient? Thanks Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Terry respectfully I knew that but was more concerned about the qualifications required I see the therapist next week and will ask what level of CBT are they doing? I have asked for a CPN to help with my clutter too Is level 3 more intense in the way it's delivered to the patient? Thanks Cheers
    The requirement for them to practice does not include a need for a full CBT qualification in the IAPT framework. IAPT support this too.

L2 services under IAPT are the entry point for their people. They are not fully CBT qualified because they don't need to be and if they were, they would be earning a lot less money by not getting themselves into a L3 role.

So, are you having L2 or L3? If L3 the therapist might still be pre qualification, as they all are at some point, but your hours therapy might be pushing them over the requirement for their final qualification (which is supported as the way they need to qualify by their bosses because the alternative is unleashing classroom trained people who've never even sat in front of a client).

If they are going to give you L2, it's CBT based stuff and not full CBT. The person is still supervised and has regular meetings to discuss their clients.

My therapist offered L3 but she still has to assess me, get sign off on her strategy from her supervisor and then had monthly meetings to discuss all of her clients.

As a CPN she is likely more trained in mental health than my therapist was (she didn't have a health background) but going into IAPT means specific training to get into the therapist role. Maybe she was a L2 but you need L3 so need an assessment off one of them? If this is the first assessment, I bet the L2's are used to pick off the milder clients first.

So, all my not be lost.

You can train to work in the IAPT framework from any previous career. A background in health isn't necessary. Some nurses follow this path to earn more money as the L3's might be on more.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clio51 View Post
    Hi Terry
    You seem quite knowledgeable
    , I’ve read a few of your replies.

I’m currently on cbt stage 3 waiting list, 10/12 mths so we’ll into next year!!!!
    I’m getting call, from in my area it’s called Healthy Minds. First point entry
    God knows why, as when I told her last week how bad I was she just said I’ll put you on the list. What do you want counselling or cbt, you can only have one! Cbt. 10/12 mths
    So I can’t get any other help sooner with anything apart from if I’m suicidal then go to A&E

So you saying stage 3 is a proper cbt therapist? Do you know how many hours a trained one as to have done to qualify? Only asking as the last nhs cbt therapy I had was crap
    Hi clio,

Thanks for your kind words, they are very appreciated

There is more than one professional standard because there is no official training body. The IAPT framework sets the requirements for the job roles though (I'll post them later) but accept the big pro associations like BACP, BABCP.

Here are there training frameworks:

http://www.bacp.co.uk/student/training.php

http://www.babcp.com/Training/Training.aspx (inside the .pdf at the bottom of the page)

IAPT supervision is explained here:

https://www.uea.ac.uk/medicine/depar...-and-resources (the first doc of the six)

L3 is full CBT so these High Intensity Therapists are those who have studied for the full qualification and are either in the process of gaining their course accredited hours to finally pass (so a local therapy service is giving them live experience under supervision) or fully trained & qualified but still has to receive supervision (to ensure service standards).

So, it's possible a L2 might be in that training to upgrade. It's possible a service is managing a trainee from a course. But yes, L3 high intensity is full CBT. The level above that, L4, is where you go to the Community Mental Health Teams who are above the IAPT framework and deal with everybody underneath hospitalisation (these are the psychiatrists & Co).
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 18-10-17 at 18:24.

The frustrating thing is that everyone has to go through the various stages before they reach their appropriate level for treatment.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information