Thread: How can I feel comfortable as a counsellor without medication

How can I feel comfortable as a counsellor without medication

I am due to start a counselling placement as I am a student counsellor I have very bad social anxiety and sitting for long periods of time set my anxiety off especially with people, its upsetting as I love working with people but I am so worried about sitting there with someone. I also get so tired listening to people its not intentional I think it is my Anxiety that makes me tired, I am generally interested in what people are saying so its really annoying how can I settle my anxiety without having to take antidepressants or benzo's ?

Re: How can I feel comfortable as a counsellor without medication

Can anyone help me ?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Don't you go through counselling as part of your course/training? Would be a good opportunity to talk about your SA problems.

Never Surrender, Comrade

i do go through counselling on my course but I have been so bad with my anxiety that I have missed a lot of these sessions and am now due to start placements so I am really worried about everything

I think it's very important you raise this with your supervisor. I'm sure they've heard it all before, I know several anxiety sufferers who were training to become professionals as they felt they wanted to help others.

I can understand the tiredness, other people's issues can be emotionally draining on anyone and I thought there are guidelines within this type of training for anyone, regardless of anxiety themselves, in dealing with their emotional loads.

Are you concerned they may say it's not for you? Whilst that's a possibility I can't deny as we don't know how bad your anxiety is, it's more likely surely they will set a plan in place to support you and monitor? They will surely be more interested in having a counsellor with insight than lightening their load by looking for perfect students/employees? Also, there may be cover under disability laws.

Yeah I am potentially worried they say it's not for me and I'm worried about freaking out in front of a client or something else just want to be able to feel relaxed in myself and not feel so stressed and tired about it all all the time

Thread Information