Thread: Blocked Ear and Tinitus for nearly 2 month now.

Unhappy Blocked Ear and Tinitus for nearly 2 month now.

Hi all,

I've had a blocked left ear and tinitus (ringing in ear) for about 2 months now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. 2 week ago I went to the GP who gave me Otomize to clear "inflamation" but it doesn't seem to be helping with the 2 issues.

In the past I have used Cotton Buds incorrectly so could it be some PERMINENT issue to do with that? ;(

Anyone have experience with this? The 80% loss of hearing in my left ear is bad but the buzzing is TERRIBLE.

Re: Blocked Ear and Tinitus for nearly 2 month now.

Hi
    I have this at the moment, same ear funnily enough. My ringing is caused blocked ears according to the Dr. She has told me to put olive oil in for 2 weeks which should soften it. Then go back to the nurse and if it's still blocked she will syringe the hopefully soft wax out.

My ears get waxed up really quickly and I've had them syringed several times in the past.

It could be your eustachian tube blocked, therefore nothing you put in your ear with regard to drops will make any difference. If you sometimes hear cracking and popping when yawning or going up high hills (or down them for that matter lol) then it could be a blocked eustachian tube. This is a perennial issue I have personally and have commented about on here before, drives me nuts but it does eventually clear.

Unhappy Re: Blocked Ear and Tinitus for nearly 2 month now.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    It could be your eustachian tube blocked, therefore nothing you put in your ear with regard to drops will make any difference. If you sometimes hear cracking and popping when yawning or going up high hills (or down them for that matter lol) then it could be a blocked eustachian tube. This is a perennial issue I have personally and have commented about on here before, drives me nuts but it does eventually clear.
    I've completed a course of antibiotics which have maybe reduced the blockage from around 80% to around 40% but the pain and awful tinnitus are still there arguably worse.

I've read that the tinnitus will stay even if the blockage is entirely gone. What are the chances of it going away?

I've been to a private ENT who said my ears weren't inflamed and found a little bit of crust on the eardrum. He said I'm going to have to have a hearing test and possibly MRI scan.

Unfortunately I just don't have enough money to stay private and will have to wait for my ENT NHS referral which could take months.

The worst thing is that tinnitus has now started in my right ear too but I don't feel any pressure or feel like I can't hear. Wouldn't I know if I have hearing loss? I'm scared that this horrid ringing in both ears may stay forever. What if it's sound induced, or one of those cases where there's no real reason and it can't be fixed? I'm getting insomnia from this.

Does anyone have experience with Tinnitus and it going away?

Wasn't sure whether to post or not because it's not what you want to hear but I wanted to give you some tips.
    I had my ears syringed to get rid of the wax as I explained above and now my ears are sparkly clean.....however the tinnitus is still here. Not sure why. It's certainly not anxiety related although I can understand why it would trigger it.
    Background noise is the key, being in a silent environment is not helpful. Keep the radio on or TV. If you work talking to people helps.
    At night you need to have some sort of noise in the room. I sleep with a fan on anyway, even in winter, but again the noise generated by it blocks it out somewhat.
    Most of the time, I can't hear it, I reckon my brain is blocking it out..bored with processing it..it's only when I actually stop and listen, I think, oh it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Wasn't sure whether to post or not because it's not what you want to hear but I wanted to give you some tips.
    I had my ears syringed to get rid of the wax as I explained above and now my ears are sparkly clean.....however the tinnitus is still here. Not sure why. It's certainly not anxiety related although I can understand why it would trigger it.
    Background noise is the key, being in a silent environment is not helpful. Keep the radio on or TV. If you work talking to people helps.
    At night you need to have some sort of noise in the room. I sleep with a fan on anyway, even in winter, but again the noise generated by it blocks it out somewhat.
    Most of the time, I can't hear it, I reckon my brain is blocking it out..bored with processing it..it's only when I actually stop and listen, I think, oh it's still there.

I have been pretty worried about this as a potential outcome. I've had other symptoms too. Just had a big feeling of sickness along with ear full. I think I have Ménière's Disease.. After waking up I felt nauseated, had ringing in my ear, and a feeling of fullness in my ear all at the same time. I also feel extremely sensitive to sound. What are the chances?

Also do you know why you have the tinnitus? Did an ENT say anything? Are you able to sleep in a silent room at all or is the tinnitus still overbearing even though you mean have blocked it out?

The Dr thought it was wax but obviously not. Ive not seen anyone else about it and very much doubt I will. I always sleep with a fan, have done for years. I don't put it on for the ringing, I just like the white noise but it does help if you are struggling to sleep.
    I can hear it now because I'm thinking about it but I generally seem to block it.
    I never had the nausea and sickness, just blocked ears.

I have tinnitus in my left year, I'm only 32 but I used to play loads of gigs when younger and regularly practiced guitar and drums using earphones. When I play live now I use ear plugs.

When it first became apparent around 3 years ago it did freak me out for a few weeks, and I wondered how will I sleep properly again and enjoy peaceful moments.

However I've grown to live with it, and it does get worse (louder) with stress and anxiety. Doesn't really bother me anymore tbh.

I also sleep with a white noise app on my phone, which I grew to like after we used it to soothe our first daughter to sleep. Sea waves and rain. I actually find it calms my mind when it's on as well!

Yeah, I remember going to rock gigs and parking myself next to 10ft speakers lol. It's amazing I never damaged my ears.
    I'm a big fan of white noise at night. Probably now, total silence would freak me out

Thread Information