Thread: Medications

Medications

Hi. I live in the United States and I do not know if there are differences in the field of medicine in the UK as compared to the USA. I also do not know if drugs have different names in the USA compared to the UK. I am going to give a list of all of the medications I take and their dosages. I WANT TO STRESS THAT I TAKE ALL OF THESE MEDICATIONS WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO "FEEL" THEM. In other words, when I take them, I do not become drowsy or lethargic or dizzy or anything. THEY ALSO DO NOT PREVENT PANIC ATTACKS, EVEN THOUGH I TAKE QUITE A FEW MEDS. Just bear with me, and I will tell you about the medications that prevent my panic attacks. But, first, let me make a list of the current medications I take for my other mental problems.

Xanax, .25 mg, 4/day for anxiety.
    Depakote, 500 mg, 3 at bedtime for bipolar.
    Abilify, 15 mg, 1 in the morning; used to enhance my antidepressant.
    Zoloft, 25 mg., 1 at bedtime, used for depression.
    Artane (antiParkinson's medication), 5 mg 3/day to prevent shaking caused by the Abilify.
    Seroquel, 150 mg sustained release, 1/bedtime, used for keeping me from being so schizo.

Okay, now, regarding the panic attacks and agoraphobia I began having again 6 weeks ago: All of the meds I listed above did NOT prevent or stop my new onset of severe, terrifying panic attacks and agoraphobia. However, my psychiatrist had prescribed for me a nonamphetamine, pseudostimulant called Nuvigil. This drug is a stimulant that does not prevent you from sleeping or eating. It does, though, give you a little "boost." It makes you feel good. My psychiatrist had given me the Nuvigil prescribed as 250 mg. 1/day in the morning. When my horrible panic attacks returned, I took just a half of my Nuvigil tablet - I figured it would kill me or cure me - and in 20 minutes I was totally PANIC FREE!!! A few weeks later, the panic returned again so I took another half of a Nuvigil tablet and in 20 minutes, the panic was gone again, just as before. Well, since that time, I have been totally panic free. I have not taken anymore Nuvigil but I will continue to use it very sparingly should panic and agoraphobia return. This really, really worked beautifully for me. I no longer have to fear panic attacks because I have a drug that knocks them right out of the park, stops them dead in their tracks. Show your doctor this note I have just written and see if you can get some Nuvigil.

GOOD LUCK.

P.S. DO NOT EVER ABUSE YOUR PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS. SHOW YOUR DOCTOR THAT YOU CAN BE TRUSTED TO OBEY ALL OF HIS OR HER INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING YOUR MEDICATIONS. IF YOU WANT TO TRY NUVIGIL FOR PANIC (THIS WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN OFF-LABEL USE AS NUVIGIL IS MEANT FOR PEOPLE WITH NARCOLEPSY AND EXCESSIVE DAYTIME SLEEPINESS), TELL YOUR DOCTOR THAT YOU WILL BE COMPLETELY HONEST AND FAITHFUL IN ANYTHING HE/SHE INSTRUCTS. THE FIRST THING WE ALL MUST DO WITH ANY MED IS TAKE IT EXACTLY AS PRESCRIBED. THEN, YOUR DOCTOR WILL KNOW YOU CAN BE TRUSTED.

Re: Medications

Hey there! WOW!! That's a lot of meds! Glad they help you - so what is Nuvigil then? I can't understand how a stimulant would help panic. Although tbh, nor do I really understand why AD's do either, and as you say in your expericnce they don't. BUT they are licensed for that. Sometimes nothing makes any sense in this life hay!! Mybe I'd 'like' Nuvigil (intersting name yeah!) a bbit toooooo much me thinks....

PS not on ADs - just temaz for sleep coz I get too hyper. Doc keeps saying about Ads but would like to monitor me. I've resisted for ages!!! I'm very against it coz of 1) side effects (oh and yeah she said it may make me worse, ah ah ), and 2) I'm not depressed atm and 3) I'd chuck myself under a bus if i put any weight on ha ha!!!

Hm, very happy you are doing well and hope that this NEW-VIGIL (sorry couldn't resist messing with the name - I mean - who comes up with it and why?>??? - I am being newly vigilant about what??? ) - Like Valium - Is it coz it makes you 'Valiant'?? Lilke as it BRAVE? Because i guess it does!!

OK, enough of my ramblings

Hyper xxxxx

Thread Information