Thread: 5-HTP & Serotonin Syndrome

5-HTP & Serotonin Syndrome

Recently I purchased 5-HTP and l-tyrosine for the purpose of helping my anxiety and to stabilize my mood. I've read some great things about these supplements and bought a really good quality one.

The 5-HTP dose instructions are as follows: *Each capsule is 50mg

For healthy mood balance, take 1-2 capsules 3 times daily with food; for relief of symptoms of fibromyalgia, take 2 capsules 3-4 times daily with food. To minimize gastrointestinal side effect risk, start at 50-100mg, 2-3 times daily and slowly increase to an effective dose over 2 weeks. Use for a minimum of 1 week to see beneficial effects for mood balance and 2 weeks for the alleviation of fibromyalgia symptoms

however, I am afraid to even take them for fear of serotonin syndrome, lol! Has anyone had any experience taking this supplement? Can they advise me on how much they took?

Thank you

To heal ilness, begin by restoring balance.

Speak or act negativly, pain follows, Speak or act with a pure heart, and happiness follows.

It's never too late to create a new body.

Wellness is our natural state. Disease is an imposter.

Re: 5-HTP & Serotonin Syndrome

Yes I tried it after also reading all the glowing reports, at the doses recommended. It had no effect on me at all - not even any side effects. In hindsight anything promising an effect on mood in just a week or two is maybe a little optimistic - full blown SSRI medication takes 4 - 6 weeks to kick in.

I don't think you have any risk of serotonin syndrome unless you are also on other meds. Some people in this forum for example are on two medications (Citalopram and Mirtazapine) without ill effects.

Things like this are always worth a try, so please do let us know how you get on. It must have worked well for a lot of people since it is well documented as a good treatment for anxiety and depression.

I am not on any meds currently.

Yes, I'm not super optimistic, just hoping maybe it can help! Not expecting a cure or anything lol, but I have read reviews from people who said it did help so why not give it a try!

Thanks for your reply (:

Speak or act negativly, pain follows, Speak or act with a pure heart, and happiness follows.

I like 5HTP because it helps me to sleep well. I have been a life long insomniac but this stuff really helps to get a decent sleep each night. I've been taking it for years and whenever I come off it, my usual insomnia comes back within a few weeks and I have to go back on it.

I use the Healthspan 100mg tablets every morning. I used to use Higher Nature but they were too exensive and no better than the Healthspan imo.

I do think they help marginally with anxiety and depression, but are no-where near as potent as SSRIs in my case.

As far as I'm aware, serotonin syndrome is rare; and like Ingenious pointed out, you're probably only at risk of it if you were to take them with an SSRI or prescribed antidepressant.

Yes I've looked into it and it's only if you're on antidepressents or are taking extremely high amounts, lol. Woops, there goes me worrying for nothing.

I can't say my conditions are severe, so hopefully I can find some help with them!

i take jarrows B-right, which is a strong good quality vit B..which has 5HTP in it... ive been taking them since january, wouldnt be without them now.... i only take one every other day though...

Well I am coming off venlafaxine and have been advised to start 5htp ..I am taking 100mg every 4 hours and my awful withdrawal symptoms are easing ..and I know the 5htp is helping as if I miss my 4hourly dose the symptoms reappear.
    I bought my ones from Just Vitamins...and was advised to take a daily dose of vitamin B6 along with it..
    I will stay on them from now on I think...

I started taking 5-HTP a while ago before bed. From what I understand, quite a high dose but I tried halving the pills and the same effects took hold.

First of all the dreams. I wouldn't describe them as nightmares but they were just so intense and the feeling of them persisted after I woke up for days. I can't call what came after this 'depression'. This was something completely new to me - I started to feel like my surroundings were alien and abhorrent. I missed home and wondered how I could get there.

My joints are all hurting now and I fear that I might indeed have Seratonin syndrome. Will be booking a GP appointment soon.

It's kind of crazy though because I took this stuff to purposefully avoid taking the bog standard Citalopram GPs throw at you like a 'go away' brick when you walk through their doors whining about depression. There are lots of medications out there and people who know their when to apply them. There shouldn't be a broad spectrum anti-depressant that GPs use. I don't mean to rant on about this but this is the reason why I and so many others turn to things like 5-HTP and Tyrosine.

My advice to you is not to take 5-HTP or any supplement that screws with brain chemistry. You'll just end up screwing yourself up. Loads of people are going to call me out on this and shout about how well it's worked out for them. They'd probably do the same if I gave them a sugar cube and called it 6-HTP. It's largely placebo effect.

I have had serotonin syndrome twice whilst using too high a dose of a second drug on top of antidepressants, I wasn't really bothered if I died back then but it wasn't particularly comfortable to say the least, sweating boatloads, shivering and crapping out my intestines! It can easily enter into very dangerous territory once you're on the threshold so always be cautious rather than carefree.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Thread Information