Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam withdrawal from sporatic use?

Re: Diazepam withdrawal from sporatic use?

I think you need to stick with 20mg a day like your Gp has said as even tho you've not used it everyday, you've been using it every week for a number of years. Like I've said Diazepam has a really long half life so stays in your body for a good week or more. You need to stabilise on a dose and stick with that dose then gradually reduce when you feel stable to do so, you certainly don't want a repeat of the withdrawal you've experienced this week X

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    I think you need to stick with 20mg a day like your Gp has said as even tho you've not used it everyday, you've been using it every week for a number of years. Like I've said Diazepam has a really long half life so stays in your body for a good week or more. You need to stabilise on a dose and stick with that dose then gradually reduce when you feel stable to do so, you certainly don't want a repeat of the withdrawal you've experienced this week X
    Hi Nicola,

Is it possible that his GP has set a new steady level that is higher? I'm just wondering because it looks like his GP has told him to take around 3 times more per week than he would normal and wouldn't this just make the withdrawal even harder? It just seems strange to go so high over a week but is it because a daily level needs to be consistent in order to prevent constant withdrawal issues spiking the underlying anxiety condition?

Hi terry, i think his Gp has done it to get the Diazepam content consistent in his body as the other day he took 40mg in just one day, the problem with Diazepam withdrawal is if your levels aren't consistent if you've been taking it for a few years then you will just keep going into withdrawal and as Scott has been doing taking more and more of the drug to counteract the withdrawal. He needs to stabilise on a dose so he can start a safe taper plan, i think anyway! X

Thanks for replying Nicola. I guess he just needs to keep an eye on how he feels now and stay in touch with his GP.

Here's a quick update. Ive been on a stable dose of diazepam for about a week and im also on escatalopram 5ml which ive been on for nearly 3 weeks.
    I must say i feel better, not cured but better as in i dont think im dying 24/7 anymore. I think i was almost in a state of psychosis a week back. I still feel scared to go outside but thats part of my agoraphobia and GAD. Ive also stopped thinking about suicide.
    Thanks for everyones support. I dont know what i would have done without this site.
    Best wishes to everyone.
    Scott

Thats good to hear Scott.

You want to stay on here, there is a lot of help available from others. Getting support when tapering is also going to be helpful to you so you know what to expect and get support, even if its people being positive for you.

I've been back on the diazepam after my anxiety completely overwhelmed me over the weekend (leading to suicidal thoughts) It has helped. Sunday I had 16mg in total, 10mg on Monday, 2mg yesterday and another 2mg this morning - more just to take the edge off. I certainly don't want to be popping them like smarties.

I've also had a couple of night's taking 10mg Temazepam to help me sleep. Going to try without tonight, so see how I get on.

I had 4 days with no anxiety, but it returned yesterday and am not sure as to why?! Had 7mg diazepam yesterday and so far 4mg today. Have been prescribed 3x2mg per day, though have I have some 5mgs spare in case it gets really bad. I don't want to be on these long term, but the counsellor has said not to worry about that now - it's about getting stable and well.

Not sure as to why the anxiety disappeared for those 4 days, although I didn't feel the need to take any meds - perhaps I still should have done?

I'm also a big fella (6'8 - 15st), so I'm not sure how much good 6mg a day will do? Am back at the GP's on Thursday, so I guess I can discuss things further with her then.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Are you on any other meds? Short term use of diazepam is fine to get you stabilised but long term maybe you should be asking about other meds. The doses you are taking are not excessively high. But obviously the more you use it the more your body will get used to it and then you will need larger doses this in when the problems start.

Stay positive

sarah

Sarah - am currently on 30mg Citalopram- has been stepped up from 20mg for a week, and I'll probs go back up to 40mg by the end of the week (which was what I was on before I came off, Citalopram) Am aware that the anxiety could be side-effects as I'm only 5 weeks back in- I hope it's just that, and that these feelings will pass once the Citalopram kicks in.

What long term alternatives are there to diazepam which could work alongside the Citalopram?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information