Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am beginning writing

I am beginning writing

Today I am going to start writing that novel I always wanted to write and once a week I'll visit the Library to find a nice quiet spot to begin writing. I choose the Library just to be surrounded by books and to be away from technology and any life problems for a few hours.

I've done more than enough research for the story, I just need to begin writing it. I felt the need to avoid writing a synopsis and instead just to go with the flow and see where it takes me.

To keep myself disciplined, I will also post on this thread how many words I've managed to write down and how I am progressing.

Re: I am beginning writing

A good start: 1979 words. That's just five and a half pages.

Hiya, I have recently finished writing my novel and am now writing my second. If you have any questions then give me a PM, or even to just moan (because, believe me, you'll have a love-hate relationship with your book eventually).

One advice I'd give, write when the inspiration comes. I found it very hard to write my novel from beginning to end. Now I write scenes as and when I get the spark for it, I think the beginning is one of the last scenes I actually write! Ow, and carry a notepad and pen with you, you will get sparks between library visits then you'll want to capture before you forget them.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thanks Rennie!

Looking at what I've written, I'm quite pleased with the structure of the first chapter, but obviously being the first draft the writing is messy. I am still yet to decide what to call my main character (who has remained nameless for quite a while).

But one question I'd like to ask is: Is it a good idea to allow friends and family read your work during the process?

The first draft will be messy, but just have fun writing it and deal with the editing once it's finished.

I read a lot of it to my husband but I found it was better to write it all first and then show them. If you have a chapter or scene that you want reading over then you can ask them, preferably someone who will give you honest advice. It's good to hear positive feedback but it's better to get constructive feedback so you know how you can better improve your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie1989 View Post
    Hiya, I have recently finished writing my novel and am now writing my second. If you have any questions then give me a PM, or even to just moan (because, believe me, you'll have a love-hate relationship with your book eventually).

One advice I'd give, write when the inspiration comes. I found it very hard to write my novel from beginning to end. Now I write scenes as and when I get the spark for it, I think the beginning is one of the last scenes I actually write! Ow, and carry a notepad and pen with you, you will get sparks between library visits then you'll want to capture before you forget them.

I have just looked up your blog and must say that it is very informative and you come across as a very smart young woman. It's a pity that no one leaves a comment .

I get comments, they're just spam unfortunately! There are a few blogs with real comments though. Maybe you could leave me some

Rennie,

On Davit's hobbies thread I recall you saying how your blogs & beliefs about these disorders haven't helped anybody yet. I can recall reading them last year not long after I joined and I found them beneficial. I try to learn what I can and seeing it from other viewpoints is always beneficial so please don't do yourself a disservice there.

Thanks, Terry, that means a lot to me

Thanks for the advice Rennie!

Although I have made the effort to visit the Library once a week, I've not been able to write the story as much as I could. I hit a bit of a block and despite pushing myself to write it, all I have produced is gibberish.

But yesterday, as I sat in the Library I began to question what is it that I really want from the story. The subject matter is a personal one to me and it is one that I've been trying to conceive for a long time.

So I decided to put my story to one side and to do an essay on what it is that I truly want, because things like narrative perspective such as, shall I do it in the first person or third? Also I began to wonder if there is any story in it at all! After the third page of this essay, just pouring my thoughts and feelings out as much as I could, I eventually came to a satisfactory conclusion that it could work well as an epistolary novel (a story presented in the form of letters, documents, diary entries etc. Dracula being the famous example). It makes perfect sense since most of my past research notes are personal writings involving the subject matter. Having decided this, my enthusiasm has picked up again.

For now I'm keeping the subject matter private, but hopefully when near completion and ready to send to a publisher I will let you all know what its about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information