Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Bit of Politics ...........

Re: A Little Bit of Politics ...........

so EU gives us an incredible consession in phase 2 of the withdrawal
    staying in the customs union without freedom of movement

phase 3 is the prize for Brexiteers but they dont seem to want to compromise at all to get there

Rather F@*K up the Uk economy in a No Deal or straight to very hard Brexit

Isn't that just like an emergency brake? We already could do that with EU approval.

I'm presuming phase 2 is a few years given the brake lasts 7.

FoM is Single Market. I think the issue is no one is in the Single Market without being in a CU or with a bilateral agreement. Countries only in CU's don't get SM market benefits...I think.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 15-11-18 at 17:35.

Here's another reason why I'm grateful we have the NHS:

https://www.wddty.com/news/2018/12/h...=1543922315501

A major pediatric hospital in the US is refusing to treat children who have not been vaccinated or haven't followed the proper schedule.
    The Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital in St Petersburg, Florida has given parents a 90-day notice to get their children fully vaccinated or find a different hospital. The hospital says it won't recognise the usual religious exemptions, even though it's an exclusion that is permitted under Florida state law.

In a note to parents, the hospital's medical director, Rachel Dawkins, says it won't accept any new patients who aren't vaccinated, and existing patients who have not been vaccinated, or not completed the schedule, must comply within 90 days.

"Our practice believes that vaccinating children and young adults is a crucial step to promoting healthy lives and futures," she wrote in a letter dated November 1st.

"Unvaccinated children are at higher risk for becoming ill with a host of preventable diseases that can have serious and sometimes devastating consequences. In addition, unvaccinated children can potentially spread a preventable disease to another child who may be too young to be vaccinated or who is immune compromised."

She says the vaccines have been "thoroughly tested" for their safety and effectiveness.

The ban hasn't been universally welcomed, even among doctors. One, Dr Robert J Rowen in California, describes the notice as "the next phase of the systematic destruction of your healthcare rights emanating from the vaccine industry."

I don't thinking pushing people out leads to them tackling the issue and what of the poor kids stuck in the middle of issues their parents are causing? Doctors are usually more interested in treating the patient rather than moralising about their choices...they will happily treat a murderer but not a child who hasn't been vaccinated and that just seems bizarre thinking to me.

Absolutely.
    The NHS, with its faults, is a National gem.
    Just like the BBC, with its faults, is a National gem.

If you lose either of them, they would never come back.

Yes, if the NHS went if there came a time for it to return I suspect we would have the battles the US are having over it. It would just be set up to line the pockets of those doing so and not about providing care to those who can't afford it.

I like this TED talk, I struggle with understanding economics, this makes sense to me

https://www.ted.com/talks/kate_rawor...rive_not_grow?

........... a few things I cant quite get my head around:-

Elizabeth Warren is a favourite to get the Democrat nomination for President, there was a lot of polling that suggested that a female Presidential candidate was unlikely to unseat Trump so this all seems odd.

The continuing inability to find a Deal that commands the majority of MPs for Brexit. No Deal does and 'No Deal' doesn't.

Why is Corbyn not nicking at the Toires in the Polls.

Why are the Remain party Liberal Democrats not doing anything in the Polls.

Like Brexit, Corbyn doesn't have a solid winning majority. Add Brexit and he can't win. He can't keep his metro luvvies happy and his northern working base as they are at odds with each other. But he is trying to be the everyman and some see it just fence sitting. Some say Labour should let the Tories have a free reign because they can use that to bounce back into government. But some, clearly more intelligent people, see that as a really stupid idea that is just about getting in to government at any cost and rightly wouldn't support that policy.

It's just two torn parties.

I guess some of the press stuff plays it's part in anti-Corbyn feeling but even before all this he was viewed as what many don't want in anyway.

Both parties need to get back to having a solid leadership with backing. Until then, it's just going to be hung Parliaments and all this nonsense we keep seeing.

As for the Lib Dems, they are kidding themselves chasing the youth vote. The youth remember they betrayed them a few years back, it was Cable himself, but they just don't have the grassroots campaigning of Momentum to try to steal votes from Corbyn. Between a poor strategy targeting the youth and opposing Brexit at any cost they just end up reducing any possible vote share.

Both they and UKIP have become pointless.

The only people who may vote for the Lib Dems are surely those who want Brexit cancelling at any cost? I've seen some say that and others saying they won't vote for them as it lets the Tories back in as it takes votes away from Labour. And some just don't vote at all.

Scrapping a vote they gave us is unpopular with sensible Remainers who know it's not only going to light a bigger fire but also set precedents for other failed pledges.

Im afraid if the government want to get the "Brexit' shambles through they are going to have to reach out .

Sure Corbyn's vote of no confidence is going nowhere ,and I say that as a member of the Labour Party myself.

However in order to get it over the line the Conservatives will have to give ground on worker protections employment rights ,so when its over the lovely people who bought us illegal £1200 industrial tribunal fees ,and 2 years wait before employment protection comes in ,cannot do the same with EU employment law protections after we leave .

To that end Caroline Flint Labour MP indicated as much tonight ,hers is the cross party support Mrs may needs but thus far failed to attract.

It's all questions with not many answers. The PM could did her (expensive ) heels in and we crash out anyway. The blame would get spread about although she & her cohorts would take a lot of it.

The funny thing is it's sometimes best to pick a side and stick with it. This is so all over the place neither side is confident...or should that be quarters, fifths, sixths, etc

---------- Post added at 04:30 ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    ........... a few things I cant quite get my head around:-

Elizabeth Warren is a favourite to get the Democrat nomination for President, there was a lot of polling that suggested that a female Presidential candidate was unlikely to unseat Trump so this all seems odd.
    Does this mean they are picking any woman as they want a woman? That's how they ended up with Hillary.

I've heard better things about Warren, not that I follow US politics, but I hope it's not about the right candidate over the best one again.

Why were they polling badly? It doesn't make sense that it was gender based.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information