Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood from Rectum-Can barely function

Blood from Rectum-Can barely function

So, earlier this week I was upset over a twitch in my finger...I would take that any day over this recent event. First of all, I am 41 and my grandmother passed from colon cancer at 70. I went to the bathroom today, not straining, rather loose, and wiped blood and there was blood in the toilet. It was bright red. I do have a fistula that is ano-vaginal but we are leaving it as it does not cause problems. From having that I have had a proctoscope and know that I do have hemorrhoids.

But, this is the first time this has ever happened and like I said, I was not straining and it was not just a smidge of blood. I know that most of you will say "oh bright red is likely hemmies or a fissure," but after scouring the boards, I did just read where another member very recently had very, very, very similar symptoms and was eventually diagnosed with CC.

I am spiraling and tomorrow is Friday. I doubt that my doctor will be able to get me in. Should I go to urgent care? Do they even check your bottom? Should I wait to call? I. AM. TERRIFIED. Especially after reading that other member's story. I was almost believing it could be hemmies until I read that. I have not had a colonoscopy before.

And, just to note, I am never constipated...I have pretty loose stools. Often it feels like my stools are burning me (like diarrhea I suppose). I also have a lot of instances where I use the bathroom and exercise or go for a walk and it becomes uncomfortable and when I get home and wipe there is blood. That has been that way for awhile. The only other time I bled like today was after the proctoscope that I mentioned above....but that had a very obvious cause.

How am I going to sleep? Eating-that is for the birds. What if it bleeds tomorrow too?

What do I do right now?

Re: Blood from Rectum-Can barely function

You’ve given a lot of reasons why it’s not serious. But yes, call your doctor in the morning and see if you can get an appointment. I’m sure that will help to prove it’s not serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you are dealing with that. I went through a similar experience this past November. My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in October and I freaked out thinking I surely had it too because I had experienced bright red bleeding from time to time. Honestly the only thing that was able to put my mind at ease was a colonoscopy and they found nothing. I was relieved and now I am told I should go every 5 years due to family history.

But yeah, I can totally empathize with you on the fear and how reading one thing online or on a post can become king in your mind despite all the other pieces of information supporting it NOT being cancer.

I would call and see what they advise. Your age is on your side—it is very uncommon to get colon cancer at 40.

I know who you are referring to, and yes she was diagnosed with colon cancer but she is doing very well (and seems much less anxious than before her diagnosis). She and her doctors are optimistic for a full cure. Also her case was very unusual. Your bleeding is almost Certainly caused by one of the common - and benign- issues that you mentioned.

That said, it is always a good idea to get symptoms like this checked out. Colonoscopies are low risk straight forward procedures that will entirely rule out bowel cancer. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

So, one more bleeder chiming in...

I have been down this road, so i know how you feel. I have had blood (and not just a dab on the tp.. but streaks everywhere), combined with "thin" stools and abdominal pain, i thought i was a sure ringer for cancer (despite being 34 with no immediate family history). Did the colonoscopy.... and i had a small hemorrhoid and fissure, and was completely fine otherwise. The pain is likely a combo of IBS and anxiety, and the bleeding more likely from the fissure.

I know its stressful, but really don't jump right to the worst. way more common things can cause the problems you are worried about.

I know your health anxiety makes you feel the way you feel, but consider that - you CERTAINLY have hemorrhoids. What do they do? They BLEED. It's totally normal to have rectal bleeding when you have hemorrhoids. Also, it's not like they bleed all the time. I have an internal hemorrhoid too, and it bleeds like every couple months, and I'm not even straining. Don't lose sleep over this, your worries would be justified if you DIDN'T have piles.

You don't need urgent care. This is not something that needs to be handled today. Make an appointment with your doctor and go from there.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you for the replies. I made an appointment for Monday with a GI doc. I didn't sleep at all last night and can barely work. I am doing the bare minimum. I just don't know why else this would happen except for CC. My hemmies have never given me issues like this where there is blood on the paper and in the bowl after a loose movement. And, just reading over that other member's story is paralyzing because it feels so similar. I am angry that I only had a proctoscope last year with my fistula rather than asking for a colonoscopy. I just hope it is in earlier stages.

I get a lot of blood and I mean I can sit on the loo and it drips out.

The cause - piles.

Get checked out but don't jump to conclusions yet.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information