Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast clinic referral ......terrified

Breast clinic referral ......terrified

My anxiety is through the roof and I feel defeated and like what’s the point in doing anything. I have health anxiety and general anxiety but my visit to doctor this morning has thrown me. I have a lump under my armpit, had it for months. Was looked at by a doctor months ago and was told it was the tail end of a muscle...phew! Fast forward 6 months with the odd bit of worry about it,as you do with health anxiety, my armpit aches and the lump seems more noticeable. I’ve been putting off getting it checked again as I’m trying to keep my anxiety under control and stop the need for constant reassurance. Saw a different doctor today who said it’s definetly not muscle and is a swollen lymph node and she also noticed thickened breast tissue. I’ve been referred to a breast clinic for further investigation. I’m panicking now as I was almost sure I’d get the reassurance I needed from the visit. Now I’m convinced I have breast cancer which has spread to my lymph nodes and I’ll be dead by the end of the year. Has anyone been through this and had good news? I’m terrified with all sorts going through my head and I don’t know what to do. Is this it? Have my worst fears come true 😔

Re: Breast clinic referral ......terrified

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

So sorry you are struggling with this. Your doctor is being cautious. It is protocol to refer any breast symptoms, so you should not be alarmed by the fact that you have been referred. Is it your first visit to a breast clinic? I have been many tines - and every time my symptoms have turned out to be benign....

Thanks for your reply. I’m glad to hear all your visits have been ok, do you get any results on the same day? Yes it’s my first visit and I’m terrified. Even more worried now as I had a phone call this afternoon asking me to go on Monday. Why so soon? Are they more concerned than I originally thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Emls78 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I’m glad to hear all your visits have been ok, do you get any results on the same day? Yes it’s my first visit and I’m terrified. Even more worried now as I had a phone call this afternoon asking me to go on Monday. Why so soon? Are they more concerned than I originally thought?
    Nope that is completely normal- that happened to me too. One two of my clinic visits I have had results on the same day. They did find needle biopsies, which were analysed while I waited. Once I needed a core biopsy, which took longer...

I'm sorry, how scary for you. Did your doctor say anything else?

I don't want to say "it's definitely fine" because what do I know but I will say that benign fibrocystic conditions can cause the swollen nodes, thickened breast tissue and pain that you've described. Do you have any other symptoms or breast changes? How does the swollen node feel - super hard, or kind of moveable, or...?

I think, although I'm not certain, that breast cancer doesn't normally hurt.

It's good that you're going to the breast clinic quickly because you'll get the answers you need.

How old are you, and do you have any family history of this sort of thing?

Good luck and I hope you'll keep us updated!

Hiyer, it sounds like you are on the 'two week referral rule' and fortunately they've got early appointments. Sometimes those on that 2 week rule end up waiting for longer than two weeks, but if your local clinic has free appointments earlier or cancellations then you will get one earlier. People on the two week rule don't get prioritised, as they no way of knowing when referring who has something they should 'be concerned about' and who doesn't. I know it doesn't seem it now, but it is better to get in there quickly than have to wait for 2 weeks.
    As for the symptom you have, there really is no way of knowing right now what is causing it, the honest answer I can give is that the vast majority of clinic referrals are for benign reasons, in 80% of cases. For GPs often, and even consultants (until they biopsy) there is often no way of knowing until an ultrasound and mammogram is done - after that is done they may be able to give you an absolute answer. They may be really obvious clues after examination and mammogram, that lead them into likelihood......However, they might not be able to be sure and further tests/biopsy may be needed. I hope sincerely that you will be told after the mammogram/ultrasound and no further testing is needed. How long this all takes kind of depends on what type of clinic you are attending - I have been to the 'one stop' where you are there for a few hours and they run through everything that might be necessary in one session. The consultant usually sees you at the start and the end of the process. However, some clinics don't do 'one stop' and require someone to see the mammogram after it has been taken and then they call you back if anything futher is necessary. In the unlikely event you were to need a biopsy....I'm afraid the results usually take a week (give or take a day). SO, the answer to 'will you get results the same day' is maybe and maybe not. Sorry, that won't be what you want to hear but it is realistic.

I'm really glad you went back and had a second opinion about whatever is going on with your breast, and remained aware, despite being given one diagnosis some months ago. Even IF (and its a big IF!!!!) you were to need treatment for a form of breast cancer, you are most certainly NOT looking at being dead within a year. The vast majority of women recover extremely well from bc, which is one of the most treatable of cancers, and go on to live full active lives. Things are not as they used to be - modern treatments, early treatments and higher skill level means that being 'dead within the year' just doesn't happen!I even know a woman, and shes not alone, with advanced stage 4 bc and she's been doing fine with treatment these last 2 years. I don't say this to scare you, but remind you that the reality is not what your brain is imagining.

So, you know you've done the right thing in getting another referral, now unfortunately you have the awful psychologically challenging wait. It is AWFUL, just awful and incredibly frightening, but just hold onto the fact that (and I don't know your age?) many benign conditions mimic bc symptoms, and most referrals are for benign reasons.

Thank you so much everybody for your very kind, helpful and reassuring words, I can’t tell you how much it helps to hear some reassuring and realistic facts and opinions. I’m 40 and have no other symptom or breast changes that I’m aware of plus no real family history of breast cancer apart from one aunty who is now in remission. The doctor said the node was hard but moveable. I’m going to try and distract myself for the weekend and I’ll update on Monday. Thank you all so much xx

Quote Originally Posted by Emls78 View Post
    Thank you so much everybody for your very kind, helpful and reassuring words, I can’t tell you how much it helps to hear some reassuring and realistic facts and opinions. I’m 40 and have no other symptom or breast changes that I’m aware of plus no real family history of breast cancer apart from one aunty who is now in remission. The doctor said the node was hard but moveable. I’m going to try and distract myself for the weekend and I’ll update on Monday. Thank you all so much xx

Oh bless you, I have been there and am about to deal with it again. Try not to worry, as others have said the vast majority of referrals turn out to be completely benign. Breasts do all sorts of weird things that are harmless. But I completely understand the fear at the same time. The worst part is not knowing and having to wait to find out, so them moving the appt to Monday is probably a blessing in disguise for your anxiety.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information