Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast clinic referral ......terrified

Re: Breast clinic referral ......terrified

Quote Originally Posted by WhereIsMyMind View Post
    Oh bless you, I have been there and am about to deal with it again. Try not to worry, as others have said the vast majority of referrals turn out to be completely benign. Breasts do all sorts of weird things that are harmless. But I completely understand the fear at the same time. The worst part is not knowing and having to wait to find out, so them moving the appt to Monday is probably a blessing in disguise for your anxiety.
    I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this and are having to deal with it again. I just want Monday to hurry up and get here, whatever the outcome the fear and not knowing are torture! I wish you all the best with your appointment too and will keep my fingers crossed it all goes well for you xx

I hope the weekend speeds by for you and that Monday brings you progress and news. As you say, the waiting and not knowing are the pits when you just want to get on with it and get an expert opinion and diagnosis.

My very best wishes to both you and to WhereIsMyMind. xx

Thank you Emls78 and pulisa for the kind words.
    Trying to stay level headed but sometimes the anxiety rears it's ugly head. I also have thickened breast tissue which sounds similar, Emls78. But have left it for a long time because I was trying to not let anxiety win (clearly didn't work haha). So we're in similar boats with delays and the like.

I hope all goes well on Monday, it's such a relief when it's over. Do let us know how it goes if you feel up to it. We'll be here

Quote Originally Posted by Emls78 View Post
    I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this and are having to deal with it again. I just want Monday to hurry up and get here, whatever the outcome the fear and not knowing are torture! I wish you all the best with your appointment too and will keep my fingers crossed it all goes well for you xx
    The waiting IS the hardest bit I believe. When I was going through breast tests I was put in touch with breast cancer care nurses and they reiterated that the anxiety pre diagnosis is the worst, and that even if the outcome is cancer (which it usually isn’t), women usually develop a “get on with it” attitude- and that knowing what you are up against is a relief somehow.
    But as I said, and as you know, the huge majority of referrals turn out to be benign.
    Good luck - not long now

Quote Originally Posted by Emls78 View Post
    My anxiety is through the roof and I feel defeated and like what’s the point in doing anything. I have health anxiety and general anxiety but my visit to doctor this morning has thrown me. I have a lump under my armpit, had it for months. Was looked at by a doctor months ago and was told it was the tail end of a muscle...phew! Fast forward 6 months with the odd bit of worry about it,as you do with health anxiety, my armpit aches and the lump seems more noticeable. I’ve been putting off getting it checked again as I’m trying to keep my anxiety under control and stop the need for constant reassurance. Saw a different doctor today who said it’s definetly not muscle and is a swollen lymph node and she also noticed thickened breast tissue. I’ve been referred to a breast clinic for further investigation. I’m panicking now as I was almost sure I’d get the reassurance I needed from the visit. Now I’m convinced I have breast cancer which has spread to my lymph nodes and I’ll be dead by the end of the year. Has anyone been through this and had good news? I’m terrified with all sorts going through my head and I don’t know what to do. Is this it? Have my worst fears come true 😔
    Dear Emls78
    I completely understand what you are going through - as I found a lump during the Christmas holidays, went to the Drs last Weds who could feel a node and some thickening but no mass!! whatever that means!!! She referred me for the 2 week appointment - but luckily my husband has Health insurance so I've got an appointment this Tuesday to check it out. As I would be an absolute stressed out mess having to wait as my anxiety has gone through the roof - its all I can think about although i try and distract myself.... I am terrified as my mum was diagnosed with BC 30 years ago at 45 (I'm 47) and died about 10 years later.. However, I have two older sisters who are both fit and well and no other incidences of BC in my family - but my health anxiety and more importantly my mind has got the better of me and I am castrophosing, that I will be diagnosed with cancer on Tues and that history is repeating itself - also that i won't get to see my son to grow up.. then I worry that all my past worrying about my health has caused me to make myself ill - it's a never ending spiral and horrible and I'm terrified about what Tuesday will bring.... Any coping strategies would be extremely grateful... xxx

Quote Originally Posted by litch123 View Post
    Dear Emls78
    I completely understand what you are going through - as I found a lump during the Christmas holidays, went to the Drs last Weds who could feel a node and some thickening but no mass!! whatever that means!!! She referred me for the 2 week appointment - but luckily my husband has Health insurance so I've got an appointment this Tuesday to check it out. As I would be an absolute stressed out mess having to wait as my anxiety has gone through the roof - its all I can think about although i try and distract myself.... I am terrified as my mum was diagnosed with BC 30 years ago at 45 (I'm 47) and died about 10 years later.. However, I have two older sisters who are both fit and well and no other incidences of BC in my family - but my health anxiety and more importantly my mind has got the better of me and I am castrophosing, that I will be diagnosed with cancer on Tues and that history is repeating itself - also that i won't get to see my son to grow up.. then I worry that all my past worrying about my health has caused me to make myself ill - it's a never ending spiral and horrible and I'm terrified about what Tuesday will bring.... Any coping strategies would be extremely grateful... xxx
    It’s awful isn’t it? I’m so sorry you’re going through the same thing. I just hope and pray we both get the good news we so desperately want to hear. I’m afraid I have no coping strategies! All my cbt techniques goes out the window and I fall apart! I’ve been trying to keep busy but it’s like a cloud hanging over me and I can’t stop thinking “what if....”. I’ve taken some comfort in the previous replies and the fact that 80% of these are benign but then I think about the 20% that aren’t. Sending you big hugs and positive thoughts. Please let me know how you get on xx

Yes it is awful, as ever its the not knowing and then you think of all the worst case scenarios! Not as all these lovely people have said that 80% of any issues are benign - but like you I think what if I'm that 20%.... But as you say it's best to keep busy... and try and distract yourself - sending you big hugs and positive thoughts too - I will of course let you know how I get on good or bad news... and you too - xx

Yes it is awful, as ever its the not knowing and then you think of all the worst case scenarios! Not as all these lovely people have said that 80% of any issues are benign - but like you I think what if I'm that 20%.... But as you say it's best to keep busy... and try and distract yourself - sending you big hugs and positive thoughts too - I will of course let you know how I get on good or bad news... and you too - xx
    It is VERY hard to keep your mind off it. I spent a lot of time crying. But that’s OK too. Get lots of support and hang in there. Xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    It is VERY hard to keep your mind off it. I spent a lot of time crying. But that’s OK too. Get lots of support and hang in there. Xxx
    Thanks JoJo - I'm so glad that I got a quick referral as someone said I'm sure, it's just the waiting and it's so hard to keep positive - I go from being positive right back to it's worst case scenario.... Also someone I know through a friend lost her fight with BC at the beginning of last year - problem is as well- we are bombarded by it in the media - you think it is happening all the time... xx

Thanks JoJo - I'm so glad that I got a quick referral as someone said I'm sure, it's just the waiting and it's so hard to keep positive - I go from being positive right back to it's worst case scenario.... Also someone I know through a friend lost her fight with BC at the beginning of last year - problem is as well- we are bombarded by it in the media - you think it is happening all the time... xx
    Yes -but it is really not. I know several people who have had breast cancer and I don’t know anyone who has died of it.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information