Thread: Is this normal for a 56 year old?

Is this normal for a 56 year old?

Lately my neck has been bothering me. I feel like there is a lump or knot behind my head when I lean it backwards although to the touch it feels ok except for a few rolls of flesh. It really seems to bother me a lot but I can't really find anything out of place. The weather has been rainy and hot and then cold and I'm not sure this Huss anything to do with this or the rest of my symptoms.

Lately I have been experincing a lot of what seems to be muscle cramps under my arms , back and side just from pulling on a water hose a little one day. My legs have been getting pains all over them mostly in the fronts of them, also my knees pop and feel as though they are going to fall out from under me at times. I really hat the muscle cramps and th thing with my neck... Is this pretty normal for a 56 year old. I mean is this something I can look forward to as I get even older? Anyone that experiences these things please sound in here so I'll know it's pretty normal.Thanks

Re: Is this normal for a 56 year old?

I'm a long way from 56 but your neck/arms sound like your muscles are tense to me, I have a bad back but know them aches and pains. If you can see someone who does manipulation (I've forgotten the name!) basically the ones who crack your neck and back, also maybe get some heat on the areas to loosen the muscles.
    My knees don't seem much better than yours, and I'm only 21!! If it's bothering you maybe see your doc?

Sounds like you are just a bit unfit and tense Michael .Treat YOURSELF to a session at the Osteopath or Chiropracter ,and have a good massage it will help you .Heat is good like Lizzie says for relaxing those tense muscles .Maybe take up swimming or something and get yourself a bit fitter ,slowly does it tho .T/c Sue x

I'm scared of those people. I have heard horror stories about people that went to them to have something adjusted and dropped dead hours later... Something else please?

Maybe a good massage? Or yoga or something along them lines?

Yes, muscle aches are quite normal in the 50's age group at least thats what my GP and physio told me.. Im not over keen on chiropractor but the Physio did help by identifying a couple of muscular problems and showing me exercises to help..and they did.

Thanks....I started thinking of all the weird pains my mother used to tell me about when she was my age .... I think you are right. ... and it seems that exercise does make them feel better... Appreciate the input.Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Yes, muscle aches are quite normal in the 50's age group
    Well my bodies about 30 years ahead of itself then

I think that some people are just more prone to hurting earlier ...I suppose from the amount of physical stress they have put on there bodies I guess

Thread Information