Thread: A few steps forward, a few steps back

A few steps forward, a few steps back

December is here and my anxiety has worsened. I missed over a week of lectures and a fieldtrip.

I went to my regular doctor’s appointment and told her that I hadn't left my room for a week. I was terrified but I really do not remember where the days have gone. It feels like I wasn't even here for those few days, my appetite vanished; I lived off 4 hours sleep every three days. My mood was all over the place and I was upset every day. One flatmate kept joking about panic attacks and another flatmate told me that I was making her feel depressed - I didn't want to leave my halls and at that point I didn't even want to leave my room. My doctor told me to stop taking Citalopram and to take Diazepam and prescribed me sleeping tablets. She gave me a medical certificate so I could excuse myself from lectures and not have to worry.

The last two days have been good. I felt like the happy person I used to be. Better still I hadn't experienced withdrawal symptoms from the Citalopram (I haven't been taking them for very long though). I was invited out earlier and spent the day deciding whether to go out or not. I decided that surrounding myself with other people would be a good idea. I started the night drinking non-alcoholic drinks. As the evening went on I couldn't stop thinking about how 'ill' I had been and I decided a small amount of alcohol would be fine.

Those last two days have been my steps forward but right now it's 5am and I can feel my anxiety rising again! I can't sleep, my hands and lips are shaking, I have a pounding headache and I feel so sick. Is it the alcohol or not? I think I'm just going to have a few bad days again. I spent 20 minutes staring into the mirror; I couldn't get some thoughts out of my head. It's strange, I feel like I don't know who I am, I don't remember what I look like until I look in the mirror.

I don't even remember the point of this post. Can anyone comment on having ups and downs in such a short time? Do you have problems with your memory and feel confused. I read the term 'brain fog' one day and found it to be a good description of how my mind feels at times like this.

Appologies for the boring and probably incoherent post :(
    Tom x

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 ----------

It's quite theraputic to just type what ever your thinking. I was quite upset after writing all this down but I took my medication and now it's an hour or two later and I'm feeling a lot more calmer. I just going to get dressed and get out into the world before all the thoughts creep back in.

Re: A few steps forward, a few steps back

Be very careful about relying on diazepam to relieve your anxiety. They are highly, highly addictive and should really only be taken when you're feeling very anxious. Try breathing, distraction, relaxation before u reach for them! I have a pack of 15 in my draw for 2 years and I still have 10 left . . . I know they can be an easy solution sometimes.

Take care.

hi tom
    alochol will definately make you feel worse...it makes our anxiety sky high.
    but i like the last bit of your post... going to get dressed and get out into the world... thats excellant and will help loads.
    rach
    x

Thanks for your replies,

I ended up staying home and thank God I did! I had two terrible panic attacks. My family from home rang me and I just broke down on the phone. I was so terrified I was losing my mind and would hurt myself (my two biggest fears). I ended up ringing NHS direct because I had no idea if I was safe with myself. I've felt better again this last two days but my insomnia is back along with the pounding headache. I'm worried that it's a repeat of the other day.

I need to book a doctor’s appointment at 8am!!!!

Today should be a good day - I've arranged to have a Christmas dinner + party with a few friends before I go home for Christmas. I've cut my holiday short and will be back before the end of the month, I need to gain a bit more control before I spend a long time with my family.

Hope you're both well x

Thread Information