Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asbestos fear

Asbestos fear

I've just found out the house about four houses down removed two asbestos sheds from there garden. It was there landlord that did the work and he just threw it on the back off his van. My son goes out to play and our windows could have been open while this was going on because I'm not sure what day it was done and now I'm freaking out that the fibres have come into our house or my son was out playing and breathed it in.
    He's now renovating the house and re plastering which could contain more asbestos and he's throwing that all out onto the back garden which is really close to my house.
    I really worried can anyone help ?

Re: Asbestos fear

With respect, you're creating a fantasy. It's a kin to fearing carbon monoxide poisoning because you smelled exhaust fumes while stuck in a traffic jam.

I'd be more concerned about the landlord tbh.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I am concerned about him doing that and where's he's dumping the asbestos

I can understand your fears, but generally, asbestosis affects those who are in regular contact with asbestos (e.g. builders who regularly worked with asbestos over a period of several years and the wives that washed their asbestos-contaminated overalls), not people who've had a one-off exposure.

Also there are different types of asbestos and the kind of asbestos that was sealed in concrete sheets and used to build sheds and fences is the least dangerous.

Plus it was outside, which is much less dangerous than inhaling it indoors in a confined space.

If it's really worrying you, why not talk to the environmental health people at your local council? They may be able to reassure you and perhaps talk to the landlord if they think there is any risk whatsoever.

I was exposed to asbestos about 20 years ago and, so, have kept that fear tucked into my back pocket just in case I have occasion to worry about it. Turns out, I HAVE been worrying about it since I have developed chronic respiratory issues over the past year as a neversmoker and JUST had to get a chest xray today due to reduced function in one lung--- but xray is normal and, more importanly, pleural effusions are normal (that is where mesothelioma shows up).

I have researched my butt off about this at one time or another...and....only a small portion of those exposed to asbestos develop mesothelioma (less than 10%) AND smoking ups your risk incredibly (thankfully I have never smoked and neither has your child!!!)

THe other thing is, it is when asbestos is ground into dust that it is most dangerous and easily inhaled and difficult to pass from the lung. A lot of occupational work with asbestos does involve pulverizing, so that's why its a particular occupational risk. Breaking it up, while not wonderful, is a less risky way of handling it in terms of mesothelioma-- although obviously not risk free.

I would keep my child away from the area for awhile but try to not think about asbestos fibers coming through the window. I am sure we all breathe some asbestos every day because it is a part of the environment at this point. You just happen to know that some probably became airborne nearby your house. The rest of us simply don't have that information, but that doesn't mean our air is entirely free of it. If it was dangerous circulating in the air, many more people would have mesothelioma than actually do!!!

I am at peace about my asbestos exposure (due to weekend warrioring) and have decided that all I can do about it now is go the doctor if I have out of the ordinary respiratory symptoms, i.e. that last longer than 3 weeks to a month is where I draw my line now.

One of our outhouses had a concrete/asbestos roof. We had it taken off and disposed of it ourselves. We wrapped it in heavy grade polythene and taped it up then took it to the council tip and placed it in a separate closed skip. So yes, they do take extra special care of it but I think having your window open while a lorry was loaded is a bit of a long shot and I maybe wrong but I think it takes years of exposure to cause problems. A one off incident I wouldn't be worrying about personally.

I've been working in a restaurant for the last 3 years that was once a hotel and upstairs in the old kitchen is our staff area. There's a couple of areas upstairs that have asbestos. We've had health and safety in saying as long as it's not moved or touched there is no issues. The chances of anything happening is slim to none so I doubt yourself will be in any danger.

When I moved into a house 6 years ago someone had taken down a shed and left the asbestos roof in the garden under a pile of rubble. That's where my fears started.now I feel like this could be the second time we have been exposed to it making mine and the kids risk higher.

Asbestos

I was doing so well with my asbestos fear until yesterday when I had decoraators turned up to paint my living room. They have used there dust dusts to cover my floors even though I put my own down too. Now my concern is that the dust sheets are full of asbestos fibres from previous jobs and now it’s all over my floors and in the air. Am I being completely mad ? I could ask the decorator if he has worked with asbestos but I’m scared he will say yes and that will make me worse. Once again I’m going crazy with worry

Re: Asbestos

There won't be asbestos on the dust sheets, everyone is very clued in these days on asbestos. The decorators themselves would not want to be exposed to dangerous fibres let alone expose you to it. I don't think your mad, my mind would do the same thing but looking from the outside in I don't see any risk. Hope they do a good job for you xxx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information