Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it reassurance seeking to see a GP?

is it reassurance seeking to see a GP?

Is it classed as “reassurance seeking” if we go to see a GP about symptoms that worry us?

Is it better to fight them out?

I’ve been to my GP on average about once a month for the past year, usually about breast issues. They’ve always reassured me and sent me away.
    But now I’ve noticed a long vertical “line” running down my breast when I lift my arm. It might just be stretched skin due to ageing and getting saggy, or it might be the notorious “skin changes” that breast cancer campaigns tell us to check for.

My anxiety is holding onto this symptom and making me feel really low.

Ive made a GP appointment for tomorrow afternoon but I’m so embarrassed to go again! I only had my boobs checked by my GP 2 months ago!

I Just don’t know whether or not to go to this appointment!

Re: is it reassurance seeking to see a GP?

If they looked 2 months ago, did a manual exam and you have had that multiple times, then no you don't need to go - absolutely not!. A vertical line that runs downwards when you lift your arms isn't one of those 'skin changes' they talk of (thats saggy baggy age skin stuff, sorry )
    Last edited by Carys; 01-05-19 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Is it classed as “reassurance seeking” if we go to see a GP about symptoms that worry us?

I’ve been to my GP on average about once a month for the past year, usually about breast issues. They’ve always reassured me and sent me away.
    But now I’ve noticed a long vertical “line” running down my breast when I lift my arm. It might just be stretched skin due to ageing and getting saggy, or it might be the notorious “skin changes” that breast cancer campaigns tell us to check for.

Ive made a GP appointment for tomorrow afternoon but I’m so embarrassed to go again! I only had my boobs checked by my GP 2 months ago!

You’ve been going once a month for a year with the same concern, and have gone as recently as two months ago. In this case, going to your GP is feeding the dragon. You’re breasts are fine--and the skin changes discussed in cases of breast cancer is NOT what you think you’re seeing.

Once a month for the same issues? Surprised your doctor did not turn you away. Most people go about once a year.

Thanks for your replies!

Just to clarify, each time I go with a breast issue, it’s something different. Different “lumps” or “dimples”. I’m not going with the exact same issue repeatedly. But I know it’s embarrassing 😩

Also, I shouldn’t have said monthly. My GP visits average every 6 weeks, but not all of them have been about my breasts. Maybe about half of my GP visits were about boob related stuff.

But because I am soooo breast aware, I know this line is new!

My logic and my fears are fighting itbout in my head! I don’t want to feed the dragon but how else can I get closure without seeing my GP?

Thanks for your replies!

Just to clarify, each time I go with a breast issue, it’s something different. Different “lumps” or “dimples”. I’m not going with the exact same issue repeatedly. But I know it’s embarrassing 😩

Also, I shouldn’t have said monthly. My GP visits average every 6 weeks, but not all of them have been about my breasts. Maybe about half of my GP visits were about boob related stuff.

But because I am soooo breast aware, I know this line is new!

My logic and my fears are fighting itbout in my head! I don’t want to feed the dragon but how else can I get closure without seeing my GP?
    Still every 6 weeks is excessive. Most people go 1x-2x a year unless told to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by utrocket09 View Post
    Still every 6 weeks is excessive. Most people go 1x-2x a year unless told to come back.
    Even people with health anxiety?

Honestly, is this just my anxious brain over thinking things and this is actually normal aging/sagging stuff? (I’m 35yrs) Or does this look like something that needs checked out?
    I’m not asking for medical advice here. Just for opinions about whether my eyes are playing tricks on me!
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 01-05-19 at 22:58. Reason: picture link removed

Rightho, this line (Yes, I see a line, although I was having difficulty working the image out - which way up it was, were your arms up or down etc?) - lets look at some other possible reasons that are not related to breast cancer:- Does your bra have a heavy seam? Have you put some weight on and your bra no longer fits? Have you been wearing something over the top of your bra which has pressed a seam into you? You see, I get lines like that a lot (which look like the kind of lines you get from socks on your ankles) when I'm retaining water before my period and something has pressed for a long time.

OK, some questions (from a non medical person lol) -
    Do you have pain or a 'cord like' tight thing you can feel under that line ? Is there a redness to the line and it hurts when pressing? Lift your breast up, whilst standing, and see if there are some
    cord like' structures standing up from the skin right underneath where the bra band would sit......
    The reason I ask these is that there are BENIGN conditions, one of which is damage (from trauma) to the cords that run up the side of the trunk, into the breast and cause a tight pulling line. Sometimes blood vessels can also be temporarily jarred also (superficial thrombophelitis) in the breast and this can cause a line to appear. Even ill-fitting bras, the weight of large boobs or any other trauma can set this off. (Incidentally, this I don't know from googling, I've had both lol)
    Last edited by Carys; 01-05-19 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Rightho, this line (Yes, I see a line, although I was having difficulty working the image out - which way up it was, were your arms up or down etc?) - lets look at some other possible reasons that are not related to breast cancer:- Does your bra have a heavy seam? Have you put some weight on and your bra no longer fits? Have you been wearing something over the top of your bra which has pressed a seam into you? You see, I get lines like that a lot (which look like the kind of lines you get from socks on your ankles) when I'm retaining water before my period and something has pressed for a long time.

Do you have pain or a 'cord like' tight thing you can feel under that line ? Is there a redness to the line and it hurts when pressing?
    Thank you Carys, I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately ive tested every bra seam possibility and this isn’t related to my bra. I’ve tried going bra-less for a day, wearing seamless bras etc but this line is always there!

In the pic, my arm is raised above my head...that’s the only way the line is visible and I have to be in the right light and angle to be able to see it. Most times it is very difficult to see!

No redness, no pain, no cord, no lump. Just normal breast tissue underneath

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information