Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouth Anxiety

Mouth Anxiety

Hi all

I received a filling last Friday that went wrong. The filling was set too high so my bite was not aligned properly. I was in quite a lot of pain in terms of my jaw and teeth. It was uncomfortable to chew and talk even. So, I had called my dentist's emergency number. He told me that it sounded like the filling was set too high and that he could get me in for Tuesday. So, I came in today. His guess was right and the filling was too high. He fixed it and I have been advised to eat foods that are not hard for a week. Before I left though, I started to ask him when this pain will go away. Even though my jaw pain and teeth pain is a lot better from Friday, I'm still dealing with some discomfort. I've also had some discomfort under my tongue and on top of it when I eat.

When I brought this up, he started to ask me if I have an issue with teeth grinding. I admitted that I did and that I sometimes wake up with headaches around my temple area. He explained to me then that teeth pain/sensitivity can come along with teeth grinding along with sensitivity in the gums and jaw. He thinks that this pain will get a lot better when I start becoming more aware of this teeth grinding issue. I've been recommended some exercises then to help with this issue. If this issue does not resolve with the exercises, he wants me to look into getting a mouth guard that is customized to my mouth.

I left the office feeling relieved that my issue was easily fixed and that I have a plan for my teeth grinding. I still feel extremely anxious though about this pain. I fear it will never go away and that I will never be able to eat comfortably. Has anyone ever had gum pain with teeth grinding along with teeth sensitivity when it comes to teeth grinding? The dentist told me my gums and teeth themselves looked fine so I am relieved to know that. I cannot stop worrying though!

Re: Mouth Anxiety

Hello?

It sounds like you were diagnosed and the 2 of you came to a resolution.

i don’t think there’s much more to say other than give it a couple weeks. If it doesn’t resolve try the mouth guard.

Your dentist is absolutely right. It's incredible how much a very slight alteration of your bite can cause so many symptoms all around your face and mouth. I had a crown put on several years ago and had to go back and have it adjusted several times for this reason. I also grind my teeth and have TMJ, so I can get tons of pain in my jaw and face and ear and even my neck from it. I even get migraines from it. But, like your dentist said, once my dentist told me that grinding was causing a lot of the problems I became much more aware of it and have been extra conscious of not clenching my jaw throughout the day. I've had less pain and even far fewer migraines after making this change. I haven't gotten a night guard because I can't afford it and my insurance doesn't cover (it's $500+), but sleeping on a softer pillow has helped keep my jaw aligned when I sleep and also made a difference.

Unhappy Tooth sensitivity from teeth clenching/grinding

Hi

I am sorry to post again about this, but I feel I am suffering so bad with my anxiety. I went back to my dentist yesterday because of the mouth pain I've been having. My filling was fixed on Tuesday as it was too high, but I was having so much pain still. All of my teeth basically feel so sensitive. Like it hurts to chew with them and this pain will radiate from one side of my mouth to the other. I also have some sensitivity with my tongue. Since I was still having pain, I called my dentist's office on wednesday and they were able to get me in yesterday.

I was told same thing again. My teeth themselves are fine. No cavities or infection. It is my mouth grinding/clenching causes me so pain. My dentist could even tell as he was doing some jaw massages and joked that one side of my jaw felt like it had it's own bicep with how much I have been clenching. He has told me then to get a mouthguard from the store as he understands I don't have the money right now to pay the $120 that my insurance would not cover for the mouthguard.

I left my dentist's office feeling relieved nothing is wrong with my teeth themselves. They are so sensitive though and when I went with my family to the movies last night, I ate a little popcorn. It hurt to eat because of the crunchiness. I just wondered if anyone has also dealt with these symptoms from tooth grinding/clenching. I'm trying to relax, but feel like I am so hyper sensitive to my symptoms and it causes my teeth and jaw to hurt even more.

Re: Tooth sensitivity from teeth clenching/grinding

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 06:07.

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 06:07.

I second the use of sensodyne, and if you can get a mouth guard they really work wonders. I had to use mine for a couple of months before the pain started to ease completely.

Unhappy Cannot stop worrying about mouth cancer

Hi all,

I've been worrying a lot about my mouth as you can see from my recent posts. I went to a different dentist to get a second opinion. I thought it would not hurt. I am looking for a new dentist anyways as I do not like appreciate the attitude of my current dentist.

He confirmed that yes..I have a teeth grinding issue. He could tell by the condition of my teeth. So, I have been advised to use my nightguard.

I have a new worry though. I've noticed for a little bit now I have a spot on the inside of my jaw on my lower left side. It feels like a hard bump that is quite tender. Any food or drink that touches the area makes it a little sore. My mom looked at the inside of my mouth with a flash light and she said it looks like a small white spot that has a light red around it. She thought it might be a canker sore or I did something that irritated that part of my mouth. Now I can't stop obsessing over it. I keep checking my mouth and panicking, convincing myself that I have oral cancer. Wouldn't the dentist have said something if he noticed a concerning spot?..

Re: Cannot stop worrying about mouth cancer

Quote Originally Posted by rachlexis13 View Post
    Wouldn't the dentist have said something if he noticed a concerning spot?..
    What's the logical answer to that? Listen to your mother.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information