Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asbestos fear

Obestos panic again

I’ve just returned home from a old hotel,
    There was what looked like a artex ceiling in the bedroom where me and my children slept for two nights.
    Now I’m washing all our clothes worried asbestos dust from the ceiling has fallen onto all our clothes
    What I’m not washing I’m throwing away as I don’t what to bring contaminated things back into my house

Feel like I’m going mad again

Re: Obestos panic again

Asbestos is only dangerous as a dust, if inhaled over a prolonged period of time.

You would have to bang the ceiling with a hammer while living in the room for weeks or months to even come close to there being dangerous levels of exposure.

That is IF the artex contains asbestos.....which is unlikely these days.

Left untouched, there is zero risk of artex that contains asbestos being an issue, at all. No chance whatsoever.

I get that even with the fact that there's no chance, you're still going to have a gnawing fear. It's like someone who's afraid of spiders will freak out about a pimple sized spider from across the room (my wife for example ) and still be freaking out after the spider is dead and the carcass is squished in a tissue and thrown away.

But just like the actual threat from a dead pimple sized spider, the threat of asbestos exposure, even IF it were asbestos (highly doubtful in the 1st place), especially in that situation is in reality, without a doubt, no "what ifs" or "yeah buts", non-existent.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 12-08-18 at 22:33.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Health & Safety rules wouldn't allow exposed asbestos in a hotel. Old or new.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Are they checked regularly? The hotel in question is the same chain that a few years ago was sued for carrying out building work without checking for asbestos first and exposing its guest to asbestos.
    It was in a different part of the country but same chain of hotels

Checked for what?

There is zero risk to your health even if the artex does contain asbestos.

Checked that the ceilings are in good order and not damaged so that the dust isn’t leaking everywhere I guess

Who knows?

Like I said, even if you sat there inhaling asbestos dust all day there's virtually no chance of long term issues. Asbestos is like smoking, it takes time for it to have an effect.

Stop worrying about it and don't stay there again.

Asbestos everywhere

So on Sunday I posted about my fear of being exposed to asbestos in a old hotel I stayed in and then yesterday we went out for dinner and we were sat near the kitchen and next thing I hear drilling coming from the kitchen
    We ate and left but then when I got home I started worrying about drilling asbestos near our food. So I phoned the restaurant and asked what building work was going on and they said they were having a new boiler fitted
    And it was next to the kitchen not in it

What if it was a old boiler thy were replacing and it had asbestos in what they were drilling.

I feel like our life’s are now doomed from all the recent exposure we have had

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Asbestos everywhere

How did all this business with asbestos begin? Think of all the other diners - asbestos would be the last thing to cross their minds. Are they "doomed" as well?

Asbestos isn't the problem here: Your anxiety will move on to another object of fear unless you start treating the root cause.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information