Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't often ask for help.....red ear.....

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: I don't often ask for help.....red ear.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Hiyer P....thanks....just off to doc actually...Will update shortly. Pretty bad this am.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Well.....she isn't sure whats going on. It is even redder today and swollen, but she said there are no markers for infection and more for trauma - however, she couldn't be sure it wasn't an infection. So, I have a script for antibiotics but can hold off taking them and see if I can get it to resolve over the next day or so.
    Sounds (excuse pun) more inflamed than infected to me. Have you tried a course of anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen for a few days? Think you're wise to hold off taking antibiotics for a while.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Does it hurt Carys. Like a throb or sting? x

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Does it hurt Carys. Like a throb or sting? x
    Well not hugely no.....the ear lobe does now as it's filled with fluid and red. The other red part (about half the ear but all on the outside, not near the earhole) is fine to touch. She said that was probably gravity taking the fluid (whatever it is that swells tissue) down to the bottom. She did have a puzzled look on her face actually lol I am certain it was the area I was pulling and scratching, bit has bacteria entered whilst scratching...I don't know.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Sounds (excuse pun) more inflamed than infected to me. Have you tried a course of anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen for a few days? Think you're wise to hold off taking antibiotics for a while.
    Thanks KK.....lying here with a cool pad on. Not taken ibuprofen , as I'm not good with it, but appreciate it wpuld be sensible.

YOu know, that was my first visit to a GP in years - I've been a couple of times in the last 5 years, but related to a more serious medical condition. I don't want people to think I'm a reassurance seeker, as I am an 'avoider' for things medical actually LOL
    Last edited by Carys; 14-11-18 at 15:09.

I wondered if you got stung by something, with this humid and warmer than average temperatures. My partner got done on the ankle, which was swollen and red. Fluid and red can also be from a scratch. I had that on finger. Try not to touch it too much and if you can get some witch hazel gel, it works wonders for cooling down and healing. It sounds like you didn't get much joy at the docs. :( well done for going. x

Hiyer Carnation - no, it definitely literally followed the scratching quite hard (in three locations on the ear) and then the warm compress. An hour later half my ear was bright red and double the size, seriously. Do you know? I think I did her a disservice; I booked an appointment first thing this am, feeling delighted I'd been able to (you know how it is) and turned up and wasn't able to book in. I'd actually booked 20th November, that was the first free one LOL! I kicked up a bit of a fuss and looked sobby on reception, and this GP saw me in a few minutes. I was honestly hyperventilating in the foyer before seeing her. She was pretty good actually, the reason why she just didn't know was because she admitted it was very red and swollen; but normal temp, no discharge, ear itself clear, very sudden onset etc. She asked even if I had applied anything to my ear that I'd reacted to. So, she said that she felt it was more likely trauma, but if I became unwell or it showed no signs of reversing in a day or so, then to try antibiotics. She said she couldn't be entirely sure that it wasn't bacterial in origin, hence giving the script if I needed it.

You know - has anyone ever put in an earring that was hard to get through, or too large a post or you are allergic to. The lobe comes up really suddenly and goes tight red and itchy for a few days - its like that. Maybe its just me that the earring thing happens to ? LOL

So you think the scratching has inflamed it, caused the swelling, but there has to be a underlying other reason, for the scratching in the first place.
    You mentioned the reaction with an earring and that has happened to me lots of times and that was going to be my other thought for being red and itchy.
    It's amazing how you find the courage to seek help when you think you might be in danger. Luck was definitely on your side. When you told us you had an appointment today, I thought???? "Eh, had did you manage that?" 3 days is the minimum, if you are lucky.
    Let's hope this goes down of its own accord and keep posting if it helps you. x

Hiyer, Its kind of a long story- ready, you'll regret asking lol - Go back 5 or so days. I had been painting all day and had my head turned sideways doing skirting boards. I was also chewing gum, very cleverly on the side I also have TJD! So, come the end of the day...well...the next morning... the inside of this ear was itching like crazy and I had about the worst ever TJD flare-up ever. So, rested the jaw, applied heat things and did some exercises as necessary. BUT....the itchy inside of the ear I had scratched away at during my sleep a fair amount and it felt really sore. So for 2 days I also added antiseptic stuff to my ear canal, a number of times a day. To do this I was gripping and pulling the outter ear fairly firmly, it was getting a bit painful and itchy itself. So, I scratched it, as mentioned before at the start, fairly hard in a few places, and used the heat pad for the TJD. The laugh is the TJD is doing well, and the itchy inside of the ear is nice and clear and not infected. Cue bright red inflamed outter ear which was not the original issue .....

You don't do things by halves Carys
    So, it sounds like you have aggravated it as the ears are sensitive. As you know you only have to give them a rub and they go blush red. When you sleep tonight, try plumping the pillows a little higher so you don't fall heavy on that side. Tie your hair up if it is brushing against your ear. I know you will do all things anyway. x

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Just a thought....
    Did you use turps to wash your hands from the paint, then touched your ears?

I was wondering whether it might be an allergic reaction too?

Reaction to the paint? Maybe turps as Carnation asked?

Cellulitis - for one, don't think of this and think of the stuff you read about in the media. Yes, it can get like that but it can also be very mild. Both my parents have had it and it was over a week each time before they even saw their GP. A quick course of antibiotics & anti-inflammatories and it was gone. I don't believe you have this, and it's likely your GP would spot it anyway, but even so it's not as scary as it's often been portrayed.

Can a wound site go red & inflamed from scratching? Absolutely. It is healing and damage to the skin can mean blood is rushed to the area which means inflammation.

I'm a skin picker so it's common for me to dig my nails in and cause stuff like this. Sometimes it's a normal looking scabby thing as you expect but other times, especially if my nails are longer than normal and they dig in with long scratching motions (like when asleep), I will have long scratch marks that will swell alone their length as if it were a cut.

I remember my GP once asking me "is there any heat" in a inflamed toe I had from the endless daily walking. He said if there was heat then infection is likely but unlikely without it.

You tend to get discolouration with infection too but then you can get that will a wound site for other reasons as well as on bruises.

Apologies for the late response, I didn't see it and haven't been checking these boards much recently. Only spotted it by chance as you aren't someone who posts much other than to help others (as shown by the amount of people wanting to help you!).

---------- Post added at 03:26 ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 ----------

I found this expert guide recently

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Yes, thats what I like about many children, they know when they are ok to keep going and know when its time to stop when they feel truly unwell. They are kind of 'on' or 'off' LOL They usually get going after something traumatic or an injury of illness so much quicker than we do.

Lets look at wounds too.....for anyone interested.....its the most incredible process if you think about it.

Most of us take wound healing for granted. If you get a small cut, you may clean and cover it with a bandage, and move on with your life. Yet under that bandage (or in the open air), the body orchestrates a complex cascade of events designed to heal wounds big and small.

The basic steps of wound healing are:

1. Stopping the bleeding (hemostasis). When your skin is cut, scraped, or punctured, you usually start to bleed. Within minutes or even seconds, blood cells start to clump together and clot, protecting the wound and preventing further blood loss. These clots, which turn into scabs as they dry, are created by a type of blood cell called a platelet. The clot also contains a protein called fibrin, which forms a net to hold the clot in place.
    2. Inflammation. Once the wound is closed with a clot, the blood vessels can open a bit to allow fresh nutrients and oxygen into the wound for healing. Blood-borne oxygen is essential for healing. The right balance of oxygen is also important — too much or too little and the wound won't heal correctly. Another type of blood cell, a white blood cell called a macrophage, takes on the role of wound protector. This cell fights infection and oversees the repair process. You might see some clear fluid on or around the cut at this time. That is helping clean out the wound. Macrophages also produce chemical messengers, called growth factors, which help repair the wound.
    3. Growth and rebuilding. Blood cells, including oxygen-rich red blood cells, arrive to help build new tissue. Chemical signals instruct cells to create collagen, which serves as a type of scaffolding, and other tissues to begin the repair process. Occasionally, you see the result of this process as a scar that starts out red and eventually dulls.
    4. Strengthening. Over time, the new tissue gets stronger. You might notice stretching, itching, and even puckering of the wound as that happens. Within 3 months, the wound is almost as strong in its repair as it was before the trauma. The entire healing process might take a couple of years to complete.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information