Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Healing tongue

Healing tongue

Here's a thought that occurred to me this morning. Many/most on the HA view their body as being something that is constantly under threat from bacteria, germs, viruses, genetics, and assorted other factors. It is as if they have a body that is about to fail at any moment, for which they need to be on the permanent alert as if their body is a weak and (non evolved!) system that needs constant vigilance and hyper awareness to keep working.

So, last night I bit my tongue, quite badly as it happens. As you do, looked in the mirror now and again and waited for it to stop bleeding, but I was convinced that by the morning it would be swollen and have that cut I made still gaping open. This morning, its as if it never happened, and I remember this from before - the human tongue is really everso good at repairing itself, astoundingly so and very quickly. If I was a biologist I would know the reason

It got me thinking, about the strength and resiliance of the human body, how it has adapted over millenia and how on a daily basis it (usually) heals itself and deals totally effectively with bacteria and the like. Ok, so we can't grow new legs for ourselves, but I know that HA makes people can't actually focus on the fact that aching muscles, colds, cuts and bruises (for example) all sort themselves out thanks to the efficient human body.

Possibly some here will find this hard to relate to; but if more reenforcement is given to the strength, power and abilities of the human body, then some might feel less need to battle. Your body is 'on your side' not permanently 'against' you. I know there will be some who have genuine illnesses or disabilities, and but I think even then the positive power of the human mind to 'expect you will be ok' is very relevant.

So, what healing/ability in the human body surprises you most ? - mine is the tongue ! LOL (and stupidly I've done it a second time on the other side, as chewing gum whilst decorating, but I know by tomorrow itll be fine) Lets sing the praises of something that has surprised you in how well your body responds.
    Last edited by Carys; 01-11-18 at 14:20.

Re: Healing tongue

41 views, and no replies.....kinda says it all about this place. Nobody can think of anything positive about how their body works well/heals itself. Ah well, I tried.....

Sorry the lack of replies! When you're so good to others. You're right! The body is amazing at healing itself. I wish I believe this more myself sometimes! Especially when I love moments on panic (more often then not!)

I guess my funny moments of the body "healing" itself is when I was about eight and I accidentally shaved off half of each other my eyebrows Don't ask why! Well it grow back....within a month or so!

Sorry this isn't a big positive fact! Just something funny to share! I'm sure my body has looked after me time and time again but this is the first I can think of!

Thanks so much LouiseAndy, I am no longer talking to myself

Your body helps you out each and every single day, e.g. it takes between 14 - 30 days for your entire epidermis (skin) layer to renew itself. The same applies for everything in your body, constantly renewing and healing.

Isn't that quite trendy shaving eyebrows into shapes ? LOL

So true Carys, I’ve bitten the inside of my cheek today, and I keep catching it. It’s so annoying but come this time tomorrow it’ll probably be gone.

One of the things I find amazing about my child is her ability to be so resilient. She broke her collarbone a few months ago, yet within 2 days was off painkillers and begging to go to the park! I know many people say it, but really we can learn so much from children!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, thats what I like about many children, they know when they are ok to keep going and know when its time to stop when they feel truly unwell. They are kind of 'on' or 'off' LOL They usually get going after something traumatic or an injury of illness so much quicker than we do.

Lets look at wounds too.....for anyone interested.....its the most incredible process if you think about it.

Most of us take wound healing for granted. If you get a small cut, you may clean and cover it with a bandage, and move on with your life. Yet under that bandage (or in the open air), the body orchestrates a complex cascade of events designed to heal wounds big and small.

The basic steps of wound healing are:

1. Stopping the bleeding (hemostasis). When your skin is cut, scraped, or punctured, you usually start to bleed. Within minutes or even seconds, blood cells start to clump together and clot, protecting the wound and preventing further blood loss. These clots, which turn into scabs as they dry, are created by a type of blood cell called a platelet. The clot also contains a protein called fibrin, which forms a net to hold the clot in place.
    2. Inflammation. Once the wound is closed with a clot, the blood vessels can open a bit to allow fresh nutrients and oxygen into the wound for healing. Blood-borne oxygen is essential for healing. The right balance of oxygen is also important — too much or too little and the wound won't heal correctly. Another type of blood cell, a white blood cell called a macrophage, takes on the role of wound protector. This cell fights infection and oversees the repair process. You might see some clear fluid on or around the cut at this time. That is helping clean out the wound. Macrophages also produce chemical messengers, called growth factors, which help repair the wound.
    3. Growth and rebuilding. Blood cells, including oxygen-rich red blood cells, arrive to help build new tissue. Chemical signals instruct cells to create collagen, which serves as a type of scaffolding, and other tissues to begin the repair process. Occasionally, you see the result of this process as a scar that starts out red and eventually dulls.
    4. Strengthening. Over time, the new tissue gets stronger. You might notice stretching, itching, and even puckering of the wound as that happens. Within 3 months, the wound is almost as strong in its repair as it was before the trauma. The entire healing process might take a couple of years to complete.

Thanks for sharing that Carys.
    Strangely, I also had an injury to my tongue which resulted in a bleed. Like you, I was looking in the mirror to check for worsening and my tongue also healed itself completely very quickly which surprised me and told me something about the bodies healing process.
    I even braved a visit to the dentist to confirm it was OK and he couldn't see anything wrong.
    Having HA, I used to obsess over every pain, mark, rash symptom, but I let a lot go now as I am beginning to understand how the body works.

Hey Carnation (thanks to all those who turned up and answered.....I don't feel so alone anymore!), you tongue-chewing as well LOL !!!

I think that was kind of what I was hoping some 'others' might think about see, that the human body does a fine job of dealing with bumps, scrapes, bruises and minor problems like colds and tummy bugs and so on. Once you understand and trust it to do those things, then you can fear much less. It is only when the body fails to do the things correctly that we sometimes need help from medics.

Here's another encouraging story.
    My partners mum fell out of bed at the Care Home causing a huge red bump on her cheek.
    We went to see her that day and she was in good spirits and felt no pain. She had not seen the injury, because she can't get up to look in the mirror.
    3 days later, the bump had gone and was left with a slight mark. This is the best bit. She is 92 years old!!!!!

Great post. Well the liver I guess to me is the best example of the incredible healing powers of the body. I see so many posts on here where folk worry they've damaged their liver in some way, when you know that there's rarely a chance because the organ is so resilient to begin with and because of it's amazing powers of regeneration even if some minor damage had been done (which it never has on here).

Another trap we HA-ers fall into I think is expecting our body to be perfect, so that any ache or pain or perceived symptom MUST be a sign of something wrong with us and most likely something sinister. In reality we can walk around with all kinds of minor ailments, unexplained "odd things", even test results that are a bit abnormal, and yet it is perfectly possible to live a long and healthy live with those things never being explained, diagnosed or "fixed". Not everything has to be known or understood. Living with those uncertainties is something most of us struggle hugely to deal with I think.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information