Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Re: Venlafaxine startup....praying this works

Had about five lovely calm days and then some family drama and BOOOOM! Yesterday afternoon tearful all afternoon and intrusive thoughts. This morning, heightened anxiety. I'm definitely ON the road to recovery but am not fully recovered yet. Ugh. I'm sure the answer is 'yes', but are these ups and downs nornmal 4 and a half weeks in?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Had about five lovely calm days and then some family drama and BOOOOM! Yesterday afternoon tearful all afternoon and intrusive thoughts. This morning, heightened anxiety. I'm definitely ON the road to recovery but am not fully recovered yet. Ugh. I'm sure the answer is 'yes', but are these ups and downs nornmal 4 and a half weeks in?
    Absolutely. Wait for week 6-7. You may also want to speak to your physician about upping your dose.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chimpingtongb View Post
    Absolutely. Wait for week 6-7. You may also want to speak to your physician about upping your dose.

Thanks Chimpingtongb, you're right, I'm still not so far in. Family stress hasn't helped. Actually going to give things the full 12 weeks and assess, also going to set some boundaries with my family.

The way to look at it is to remember that days like this are normal, if you have had some family stress then any person might get anxious and tearful, its a normal response. OK I understand we might be more sensitive to stress but just because we take meds to help I feel sometime we expect too much from them, I know I do.

Just let these negative feelings pass and see them as a normal response. Its not a backwards step its just life.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca44 View Post
    The way to look at it is to remember that days like this are normal, if you have had some family stress then any person might get anxious and tearful, its a normal response. OK I understand we might be more sensitive to stress but just because we take meds to help I feel sometime we expect too much from them, I know I do.

Just let these negative feelings pass and see them as a normal response. Its not a backwards step its just life.
    Yeah, you're right. It's just brutal as part of meds start up, isn't it? I wish life would just **** off for a bit.

Thanks Chimpingtongb, you're right, I'm still not so far in. Family stress hasn't helped. Actually going to give things the full 12 weeks and assess, also going to set some boundaries with my family.
    Definitely, if you're in a bad place mentally write two lists. A list of positive points whatever they may be (for me exercise, reading, study, work, mindfulness, doing something nice for my wife, painting and cooking)

And a list of negative points (again for me certain family members, alcohol, bad diet choices etc)

Do more of what makes you happy and less of what makes you sad or anxious.

I recently started therapy too, and started really talking about my issues for the first time. Also learning more about depression, anxiety, psychology and sociology helps.

Good luck. Hang in there and drop me a message any time.

I know how bad it can be but dont give up and stay as strong as you can.

Thank you, really appreciate that, Chimpington. Yeah, actually had therapy years ago and it worked a treat. I have a few NHS CBT sessions coming up, but I'd like to get back into more general therapy again. It really helped.
    I know the Venlafaxine is working, and it's early days, but god, the start up is a bit wonky.
    I like the two lists ....definitely a good idea. Easy to get sucked into stuff that makes me unhappy.

Thank you, really appreciate that, Chimpington. Yeah, actually had therapy years ago and it worked a treat. I have a few NHS CBT sessions coming up, but I'd like to get back into more general therapy again. It really helped.
    I know the Venlafaxine is working, and it's early days, but god, the start up is a bit wonky.
    I like the two lists ....definitely a good idea. Easy to get sucked into stuff that makes me unhappy.
    Mine is person centred therapy and the NHS won't cover the cost of that so I pay £40 per session but it helps a lot.

I have a referral to the NHS START mental health team and awaiting a referral to a phychiatrist.

Guess I'm on a long waiting list!

Hope the CBT works out for you as well.

Yes waiting times for NHS help is rubbish, such a shame as it was very good at one point.

Hey guys, can you put my mind at rest please? I'm on extended release. XR and XL both mean extended release, don't they? Just seen a comment on another post saying something suggesting they aren't.....

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information