Thread: Had my neurology appointment today

Had my neurology appointment today

So today I saw a very experienced neurologist to discuss the strange "funny turns" I've been having for years. I've described them on here before, especially when my health anxiety was rampant. They involve a weird spacey zoned out feeling, strange images playing out in my mind's eye and a feeling of adrenaline. I've had them for years without worrying, but the anxious me decided to get them checked out. My GP was far from concerned, but referred me to a neurologist.

Anyway, I'm glad I did it because the neurologist said it doesn't sound anything like a seizure. She said she believes it to be dissociative episodes linked to my anxiety disorder. This, of course, is good news! I'm pleased to finally have an answer.

Re: Had my neurology appointment today

Pleased to hear that. Anxiety plays so many trick on us.

Thats awesome mate

It was a good move to get this checked out because you can now understand what has been happening and why. It's never easy to dismiss symptoms as purely anxiety disorder-related but now you can!

So pleased for you ServerError.

Fab news! Bet you feel a ton better!

Pleased to hear that server, what you described sounds exactly what I feel like and experience everyday I have a dissiociate disorder. Excellent news what a relief for you

Recovering from my conditions and looking to the future.
    I am not very active but do try to reply to mails.

Good news, SE!

What you describe sounds like classic DP/DR stuff. Have you had a look on that board? What you mentioned is very commonly seen in threads on there.

I would trust a GP when it came to seizures, they always have experience of patients with things like epilepsy or other seizure related conditions so they know what they are doing. So, a GP not having a concern is a big plus to me.

Dissociative Disorders are available for diagnosis, you may have heard of people disappearing for years and coming back with amnesia? Some of those have been on TV. That's one form of these disorders but there are others that cover fugue, nervous system, etc. I mentioned an extreme example to highlight what might help you understand it could be anxiety/panic causing some DP/DR rather than a distinct disorder which would be more sever in terms of that one symptom. In dissociation disorders it's a big escape for when the pain becomes too much. That's the same as DP/DR, you will see people on here who have bad panic attacks say they go into DP/DR (I know 2 people on here like that) but to be a disorder on it's own would mean something strong in that dept and that doesn't sound like you from what you have been saying all along on your threads. That's just my thought anyway.

Seizures sound bad don't they? Have you ever heard of a Non Epileptic Seizure (NES). I could give you a link to the Epilepsy Society's page that explains them. Guess what? They list panic attacks under NES. Now remember what I said about the 2 people I know on here?

So, just because something is a seizure doesn't mean it is the kind we tend to think off. Three years ago I had never heard of NES and the only reason was because an ex work colleague suffered one. He was under tons of stress, lots self inflicted with an attitude of "I must do everything" (I was like that, it caused my anxiety), and he was shopping in Tesco one day and just fainted. He hit his head and cut it open. They called an ambulance and off he went to A&E. He had been putting himself under this stress for the years when I worked with him. He had the scans with the neurologist who said there was nothing wrong and diagnosed NES. He's never had another one years later. The neurologist said it was a matter of elimination to reach the NES as nothing else was a possibility. He also has no history of any mental health conditions and still hasn't.

So, perhaps knowing NES can be suffered by anyone, is known to accompany mental health problems (depression, PTSD have been mentioned I think on the Epilepsy Society's page) and also that there a few other threads on here about them - maybe it's all info for the rationalisation process? NES mean nothing other than what is causing them, typically what all of us are already experiencing so it's not a bad thing, just another ruddy symptom really!
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 19-10-16 at 07:33.

Thanks everybody!

In my case, having a veteran neurologist tell me it doesn't sound like seizures is extremely reassuring. Although I mentioned dissociation in my opening post, what she actually said was "derealisation". This was welcome news, although I wasn't overly worried beforehand.

At the height of my illness earlier this year, I entered a period of deep derealisation, so I know it's something that happens to me and now I can link it, and indeed my anxiety, to this symptom that's been going on for years.

I was discharged completely from the neurologist's care, so again, that's enough for me. I've had a lot of tests and assessments and consultations in the last six months, all driven by my anxiety: psychiatric appointments; brain scans; heart scans; skin/mole checks; blood tests; eye examinations; you name it. Nothing has ever been wrong, although my blood pressure is occasionally a bit high. The doctor's always put that down to anxiety, funnily enough!

I guess the lesson for me is that the baffling array of symptoms I've experienced can all be put down to anxiety, which shows just what a number the illness can do on you. The good news is that I have come so very far and am now having days where I don't experience any anxiety symptoms, psychological or physical.

Thread Information