Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post! Desperate for reassurance about ovarian cancer 😞

First post! Desperate for reassurance about ovarian cancer 😞

This is my first post which just shows how much of a desperate panic my anxiety has escalated to.

I'll try and cut a long story simple and short. The last three or four months I've noticed my periods becoming more and more painful to the point of excruciating pain. I have also noticed I've started getting all round the month cramping and twinges in my c sec scar. I originally thought I was pregnant, did a test which was neg. this prompted me to visit my doctor thinking actually I had a UTI. I did a dip test and indeed it came back with a mild infection. Took anti bs then another dip test and urine lab test showed no infection. However, my cramping pains, which feel deep and right on my ovaries, sometimes sharp and twinges maybe when I over exert but mostly dull achey pain. I also have strong lower back pressure and aching. I was peeing every 5 mins and felt like I had put on weight. So convinced I was preg I took another test even though I had a period, it was neg. this led me to google (I know!) and I realised with horror I have every single ovarian cancer symptom. Well since then my anxiety has gone crazy. I'm suffering from on and off leg pains back and front cramping, diarrhoea and constipation (although doc said long ago I have ibs which is worsened by stress) the need to wee every 5 mins has gone, but I now have heartburn, something I've never suffered from before. I've been back to docs but they haven't even prodded me, they just keep giving me painkillers even though I'm clearly in a state. I did get proponolol and diazepam last week to lessen my panic symptoms but it's not helping much. Im absolutely terrified. Every day I feel worse, im sleeping multiple times a day as well as all night, my chest is tight like I'm short of breath and then to tip it all off tonight, I had a nosebleed. I have NEVER had a nosebleed in my life. Im in an absolute panic I have ovarian cancer or something and as it's always diagnosed late, that it's spread which is why I feel terrible in literally every part of my body!!!

I've had CBT before and did find it successful for my health anxiety but I'm having a really hard time rationalising that all this could be anxiety.

My doctor is sending me forcthe ovarian rumour marker blood test tomorrow just to put my mind at ease. She's not concerned, but I'm worried it's just because of my age she's not worried! (29) all the advice says do not ignore these symptoms as they are serious no matter your age.

I'm in an absolute state, I have a toddler who I'm struggling to look after because I cannot function through my fear and fatigue, and a husband quickly running out of patience.

Please, if anyone has any experience or sensible advice I could really do with hearing it right now. Google has pretty much just given me a death sentence.

Re: First post! Desperate for reassurance about ovarian cancer 😞

Doctors do use markers such as age to help them form an opinion, but you won't be dismissed because of age. If the doctor isn't concerned, it's because he/she sees nothing to be concerned about. That is something to take comfort in, and I'm sure the test will confirm you are fine.

I don't doubt your feeling these pains. It's also pretty clear your worry is making you feel worse. You really need to take on board what the doctor has said and then let tomorrow's test reassure you. Also, take some over-the-counter-painkillers and see if it helps. They can be very effective with general aches and pains.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    Doctors do use markers such as age to help them form an opinion, but you won't be dismissed because of age. If the doctor isn't concerned, it's because he/she sees nothing to be concerned about. That is something to take comfort in, and I'm sure the test will confirm you are fine.

I don't doubt your feeling these pains. It's also pretty clear your worry is making you feel worse. You really need to take on board what the doctor has said and then let tomorrow's test reassure you. Also, take some over-the-counter-painkillers and see if it helps. They can be very effective with general aches and pains.
    Thankyou for listening. My main worry is that when I go into the doctors I just end up crying, not explaining any of the issues well enough and sometimes just forgetting stuff because I'm so upset, then I just look like the crazy HA sufferer that they know I am. So I feel like maybe I haven't even given them the full story. I'm usually pretty good at rationalising when my physical pain is actually still an anxiety symptom, But this time I literally have no reasoning behind some of my symptoms, especially having a nosebleed and heartburn, which I've never known to be stress or anxiety related.

I feel like I'm already doomed. My mum and nan both died from cancers (unrelated and non genetic ones) but I just feel like I'm not meant to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellosugar View Post
    Thankyou for listening. My main worry is that when I go into the doctors I just end up crying, not explaining any of the issues well enough and sometimes just forgetting stuff because I'm so upset, then I just look like the crazy HA sufferer that they know I am. So I feel like maybe I haven't even given them the full story. I'm usually pretty good at rationalising when my physical pain is actually still an anxiety symptom, But this time I literally have no reasoning behind some of my symptoms, especially having a nosebleed and heartburn, which I've never known to be stress or anxiety related.

I feel like I'm already doomed. My mum and nan both died from cancers (unrelated and non genetic ones) but I just feel like I'm not meant to be here.
    The thing is, everything you're saying sounds like classic anxiety. The doctor, whose job his to assess your symptoms, will see your crying and muddled explanations as symptoms of your anxiety disorder. But if he's any good at is job, it won't stop him making sense of what you tell him. A question I always ask people is, if you can't accept medical reassurance, where else will you get it from?

I can't explain your nosebleeds or heartburn because I'm not a doctor and I'm not examining you. But what I can say is that neither is an alarming symptom in themselves. Sometimes our noses bleed for no obvious reason. As for heartburn, this is usually triggered by an upset digestive symptom, which can be made worse by anxiety. It's very common to make digestive symptoms worse through anxiety and worry. It's happened to me.

I urge you to try and apply rationality here. You have a doctor that isn't worried, a test tomorrow that will almost certainly back it up, some nagging symptoms that are common and unlikely to be a sign of anything nasty, and a whole bunch of anxiety swirling around you.

Have your blood tests, ask for a Transvaginal Ultrasound if that the bloods don't help. But once that comes back clear then address the anxiety side of things. There are quite a few posts on here which read very similar to yours. OC is practically unheard of at your age.

Best wishes, keep focused on the good in your world and remember to breathe.

Thankyou.

It's really nice to hear someone speak to me with rationality and understanding of how to think of things rationally when it comes to health anxiety.

Nobody close to me understands it a thing all, and the only response I get usually is 'it's nothing'

Which isn't a helpful thought.

I know it's so rare in people my age but I did that stupid thing where I looked for examples of it happening at my age as if to prove it to myself and therefore prepare myself for the worst. I'm in a proper downward spiral of fear at the moment.

But I have fully taken both your advice on board and will do my best to practice the advice given.

Thankyou x

Yeah, don't Google. Google is the enemy in these situations. Nothing on Google has any bearing on your own situation at all, so try not to do that. Often, the first step to recovering from anxiety is beating the need to Google stuff.

I really feel for you and totally understand everything you have said. I have suffered from HA for about 20 years. Got worse when I became a divorced single mum in 2006. I have several posts on here and have always struggled to believe the medical professionals, to the point where I paid for a private CT scan which then required 2 years of ' watch and wait' which was hell. My partner left me and my kids were badly affected by my state. Every time a symptom comes up I tell myself not to go there but it doesn't work. I too Google everything. I tell myself it is for reassurance but while there may be one thing that reassures, there will be 10 that take it away again..I was having CBT when I had the lung scan and the Wellbeing Service said they couldn't help! I want to try again but have lost faith

Heartburn can certainly be made far worse by anxiety. I have started with one or two symptoms but weeks of worry have led to 3 or 4 more which, coincidentally, are usually further symptoms of whatever I fear I have. Also, your subconscious can make you still have those symptoms even when you think you are not thinking about it.

Lots of luck for your test results. I understand how anxious you will be and cannot offer any pearls of wisdom for you to get through the wait.

I am currently terrified I have a brain tumour. Good at giving advice but it rarely works with calming myself down!

Best wishes. I am sure test will be ok. There are plenty of other explanations
    Andrea x
    Last edited by andrea15; 19-10-16 at 20:50.

I'm not sure how the weather is there right now in the UK, but here in the states our air is definitely changing with the fall. I just had a nose bleed out of nowhere last week. I know it's from the dry air right now. I've recently developed heartburn more often in the last year. I get it more often if I eat pasta sauce, pizza, more acidic stuff.

I was in the same boat as you just 2 weeks ago. I was terrified I had ovarian cancer due to some lower abdominal pain. Dr thought it was actually a ligament strain based on where I was saying it hurt. He did send me for a vaginal and abdominal ultrasound, both which came back normal. I also had blood work and a ct scan done, all which came back normal. Dr is thinking I may have a pinched nerve which is causing some of the pain I am having now that is more like a band around my stomach. It can come and go and be on one side or the other. I know I don't have cancer now, and just need to relax and stay off Google! Hang in there hun.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea15 View Post
    I really feel for you and totally understand everything you have said. I have suffered from HA for about 20 years. Got worse when I became a divorced single mum in 2006. I have several posts on here and have always struggled to believe the medical professionals, to the point where I paid for a private CT scan which then required 2 years of ' watch and wait' which was hell. My partner left me and my kids were badly affected by my state. Every time a symptom comes up I tell myself not to go there but it doesn't work. I too Google everything. I tell myself it is for reassurance but while there may be one thing that reassures, there will be 10 that take it away again..I was having CBT when I had the lung scan and the Wellbeing Service said they couldn't help! I want to try again but have lost faith

Heartburn can certainly be made far worse by anxiety. I have started with one or two symptoms but weeks of worry have led to 3 or 4 more which, coincidentally, are usually further symptoms of whatever I fear I have. Also, your subconscious can make you still have those symptoms even when you think you are not thinking about it.

Lots of luck for your test results. I understand how anxious you will be and cannot offer any pearls of wisdom for you to get through the wait.

I am currently terrified I have a brain tumour. Good at giving advice but it rarely works with calming myself down!

Best wishes. I am sure test will be ok. There are plenty of other explanations
    Andrea x

Thankyou for your message. I too have been through the brain tumour fear. In fact, that was my first ever anxiety flare up. We all worry about the same things. And your body is crazy good at making you have symptoms in the place you are worried about!

I didn't realise heartburn could be an anxiety worsened symptom but actually I have ibs and my stomach is tense and upset so I guess it is possible.

I think I really need to try CBT. Again but I only got offered it once I had reached a really terrible place. Don't want to let it get that far.

Thankyou. Hope you slept well x

---------- Post added at 08:24 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jessicaf1323 View Post
    I'm not sure how the weather is there right now in the UK, but here in the states our air is definitely changing with the fall. I just had a nose bleed out of nowhere last week. I know it's from the dry air right now. I've recently developed heartburn more often in the last year. I get it more often if I eat pasta sauce, pizza, more acidic stuff.

I was in the same boat as you just 2 weeks ago. I was terrified I had ovarian cancer due to some lower abdominal pain. Dr thought it was actually a ligament strain based on where I was saying it hurt. He did send me for a vaginal and abdominal ultrasound, both which came back normal. I also had blood work and a ct scan done, all which came back normal. Dr is thinking I may have a pinched nerve which is causing some of the pain I am having now that is more like a band around my stomach. It can come and go and be on one side or the other. I know I don't have cancer now, and just need to relax and stay off Google! Hang in there hun.
    That's Amazing how quickly you got offered tests and scans. I have been to multiple docs over last few months and only now offered a blood test and possible scan but waiting list for that will be so long.

I've had my heating on all day yesterday so I guess it could make the air dry but it's just so odd it's never happened before, not in any weather circumstance. Not even when I got hit in the nose with a traffic cone!

Thankyou x

---------- Post added at 08:26 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

Thanks for messages. Had a terrible night waking up sweating then up at 4 with my toddler. So anxiety high (always much worse in the morning anyway) and I'm probably just going to cry at my blood test today. I just want results! Waiting is the thing that triggers me the most! 😞

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information