Thread: electric shock

electric shock

hey all,

in my bathroom there is a light switch right next to a pair of outlets. Sometimes my finger will accidentally brush over them while fumbling around and looking for the light. This just happened and I was worried about the possibility of an electric shock. I didn't feel anything but I'm still worried about it messing with my heart with them or something.

Re: electric shock

Socket outlets are designed to conduct electricity only when a proper conductor is inserted. In other words, you’d need to stick something metal into it to have any risk of shock. If your hands were dripping wet there’s a slight risk, but even then, modern electrical installations are designed to shut down within 0.7 seconds of a short circuit in to prevent fatal shocks.

they might have been, like, slightly damp

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    they might have been, like, slightly damp
    If you’d have recieved any type of shock that could affect your heart, you’d have certainly known about it. You’re worrying over absolutely nothing.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Those sockets in bathrooms are for "shavers" and are low voltage. Plus, you'd know if you'd received an electric shock.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I'd just point out that the OP lives in the US so different standards will apply where electricity in bathrooms is concerned. We've only just begun to allow this in the UK - traditional shaver outlets in the UK have an isolating transformer in them which would actually negate any RCD upstream of them (GFI in the US) as there is no reference to earth and they used to output either 115 or 230 V. This is what makes them safe for use in a bathroom.

But to address the OP - if you'd managed to make contact with the hot side of the outlet you would have noticed.

Thread Information