Hello All

I've found this site this morning and am thrilled to have found people who seem to be just like me!

At the moment I'm suffering from VERY severe anticipatory anxiety. I have an event on Wednesday evening and as it gets nearer the anticipation is getting worse.

I've suffered from anxiety and panic for many years (15 +) and have in that time read lots and understand about panic and anxiety but have never found anyone else to talk to who suffers the same feelings.

My main problem is eating out - I feel sick, unable to eat, I'm afraid of leaving food on my plate but I can't even let one morsel touch my lips, I'm rigid with fear, I think people are looking at me etc. etc. and I just want to get away as quickly as possible.

My husband is an absolute treasure and has helped me cope over the years but it's hard for him to understand what I'm going through. Doctor has been good too but I don't like taking drugs.

Usually I either avoid situations or only get through by making excuses, like - "sorry I've been ill and won't be able to eat anything" - but even then I feel a failure because I didn't do it properly.

Recently I've decided that enough is enough and I am determined to win. Some good results over the last few weeks have seen me eating out with my husband, once in a quite busy restaurant that I had never visited before.

However, Wednesday is a BIG ONE - I have to go out to a meal with a group of 10 people who I hardly know and my 'rock' (my husband) can't come with me. I won't be able to have his reassuring look or supportive word and I'm in utter turmoil of how I'm going to cope. I keep wavering between a decision to not go to sheer determination that I will!

I keep having those moments of absolute terror when I can't keep thoughts of what will/might happen out of my mind and I keep telling myself to phone up and cancel and the feelings will go away. I feel exhausted and tearful. It all seems too much too soon for me.

In a nutshell - I can't eat when I anxious and I'm anxious because I can't eat. It's a horrible vicious circle that I can't break.

Any tips on getting through the next few days and that evening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I hope I've not rambled too much and that it all that makes sense to someone!
Roma